Gothic People-mover.

Started by VickersVandal, June 07, 2015, 01:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VickersVandal

After the treaty of Versailles, German aviation was virtually nonexistent. However, Deutschlanders still needed to travel and aviation was here to stay. Somehow in the melee of Fokker-smashing after 1918, some Gothas G.Vs (the ones that had survived landing accidents, that is) slipped through unscathed. They were quickly whisked away to a safe location to have major modifications made and go on to become part of Der Vaterland's fledgling civil aviation industry as the Gotha G.8 airliner, before Junkers came on the scene with his corrugated sheds with wings.

The kit is Roden's 1/72 Gotha G.V and the inspiration is the Handley Page W.8 conversion of the 0/400

This may be biting off more than I can chew (I have to confess that I've been defeated by Roden's Felixstowe F.2A in a group build before) but nothing ventured, nothing gained..... plus, without some inspiration like this, both Roden Gotha kits are likely to sit in the bottom of my stash until the end of time.
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Modelling_Mushi

Hey VV this sounds great! Looking forward to seeing this one .
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Mossie

Good to see a WWI subject, not enough of those about. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Yes this will be interesting !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

VickersVandal

Thanks, gents. I hope not to disappoint. The beauty of this approach to the kit is a simple paint scheme and no dramas with Roden decals. Should speed things up. Wing alignment is still likely to be Armageddon though. Time to break out the lego......again

Haven't been able to make a start on it yet. Work is killing me....absolutely killing me. Hope to get some bench time this weekend though.
Biggles modelling loony.

VickersVandal

Bit of a start on this sucka. The cockpit is moving to the very front and behind that will be the enlarged fuselage with passenger cabin.

Biggles modelling loony.

Captain Canada

Love it...the original Guppy !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Cool, very much in line with the R-Plane based airliner concepts of the period.  :thumbsup:

Interestingly Zeppelin-Staaken was originally V.G.O (Versuchs Gotha Ost) which was a cooperative combine
of Zeppelin and Gotha.

http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Arts/Art5747.htm

zenrat

So to be truly gothic will it have flying buttresses, gargoyles and bats in the belfry?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

I like this project and the shape you've got for the upper part of the passenger deck, it's very much in keeping with the look of the period.

I'm trying to get a sense of scale to the R.IX, an eight engined flying double decker bus... :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2015, 01:18:26 AM
So to be truly gothic will it have flying buttresses, gargoyles and bats in the belfry?

lol that would be pretty cool ~ The gargoyles would have their wings spread to aid lift  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Or would the crew all be dressed in black with pale faces and too much eye make-up?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 19, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
Or would the crew all be dressed in black with pale faces and too much eye make-up?

That's what I've been thinking. Can't get Radish out of mind when I see this  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I'm sure Steel Penguin can direct Vickers Vandal in the direction of some appropriate figures.

Only on an internet forum would that make sense...
Fred

VickersVandal

Please! Won't someone think of the children??!!!  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Anyway, jcf, thanks for posting up that info. That's exactly the concept I was going for, though I was unaware of the R-planes. The HP W-8 was my main inspiration but now this gives me more inspiration for how to add some realism to the concept - I now plan to use the cabin layout of the Aviatik R.III.

Unfortunately no progress on this for the moment. Work has been hell and what little modelling time I've had has been spent trying to finish off a 1980 Nissan Skyline in lout-spec  ;D :mellow: though I guess I could have militarised that into some kind of fully sick anti-aircraft gun rig....  ;D
Biggles modelling loony.