SEE Type 8-FF 'Florian', a Fire-Fighter Labor (Mecha); pics @ p. 5

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 20, 2015, 03:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

More stuff from the bench; a look into the upper torso with the hip and shoulder joints:

Patlabor +++ 1:60 Fire-fighting Labor (Whif/Brocken conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and more from the torso with a new cockpit hatch (part from a former 1:1200 Bismarck turret!), as well as a glimpse at the (WiP) scratched head. At 21 parts and unfinished status I stopped counting...  :rolleyes:

Patlabor +++ 1:60 Fire-fighting Labor (Whif/Brocken conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Quick update: so far, things run smoothly. The hydraulic crusher has been successfully integrated. The hand mounting of the OOB Brocken causes a bit of a headache, because it is angled inwards, but I'll leave the attachment to the lower arm as it is. Head has almost been finished, some searchlights will be integrated above the visor, and work on the bigger water/foam cannon for the shoulder position has started. Shoulders will be pretty cramped, and I guess the Firefighter Labor will look even more chunky than its military cousin!

Dizzyfugu

The arms (WiP). Beyond the extra tools on the lower arms I also decided to use different, bigger hands. The OOB options are nicely molded, but these are not full 5 finger hands. As a military Labor the Brocken just has simplified devices, with a thumb, an index finder and the rest is just one piece. To simple for a fire fighter verhicle, and also a bit small in roder to open the way when it counts. Hence I checked the mecha parts pile and came up with fists from a 1:100 Gerwalk VF-1 from Macross - these have notoriously oversized hands (unfortunately just fists), but with my creation's overall bulkiness they fit in well. Another option would have been articulated aftermarket hands for Gundam kits (yes, things like these are available from Kotobukiya in Japan to pimp your robot kit, and these parts are excellent), but I did not want to wait four weeks - and it's a convenient solution. This is what it looks like now:

Then we have the hydraulic crusher on its extendable arm:

The crusher itself is a massive die cast piece, taken from a HO scale excavator model. It's in a fixed position, even though it sits on a rotating basis.

Sticky Fingers

Captain Canada

All sorts of bits and bobs and greeblies going into this one ! Are you sure you even started with a kit ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Well, building one of these is VERY different from traditional vehicles. Furthermore, you have lots of moveable joints, so that the result is more or less a 8" tall action figure. Looks messy, and it effectively is, but things slowly grow together. Trust me, I know what I am doing...  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Daily news... the bigger water cannon for the left shoulder:

Then, impressions from the upper body - the front side, with arms and head in place (still WiP):

...and the back side; I decided to implant a full water pump installation, beyond the CO2 tank, including a distributor.

...and the same, with the big water cannon and the large searchlight attched to the shoulder fix points:

Dizzyfugu

More... e. g. free-standing hydraulic pistons for the head:

The hand-mounted water cannon:

Adding a winch and bumbers, wherever some protection is deemed necessary:

And the head in final guise. Not certain about the number of parts anymore, almost 30 I'd guess...

Dizzyfugu

Progress, progress, progress... an update from the torso, with more "bumpers" added, and I started mounting lights galore:

The knees have been treated, too: the rounded top was cut off, covered, and now these massive bars add protection:

And a final front view, with even more lights  ;D

We're closing in on the painting phase. Plan is overall RAL 3000 Fire Red, some black parts like the feet, and yellow trim. I am not certain if this is to become a German vehicle, but I think it will receive English language markings. Maybe it was/is a test competitor against the ARV-99 Rescue Labor, which finally made it into the TV show...?

Dizzyfugu

No pics at the moment, work is hampered by high temperatures - even though there is slight progress. Did some more detail work and finishing touches and started painting body components in bright red. Changes the look dramatically, I am really curious how this finally looks?!  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

Basic painting has been finished - it is astonishing how much surface such a figure actually has. And that it is so hot that the paint dries up on the brush does not help much...  :-\

Anyway, things turn red, and a light black ink wash has also already been applied. Shading is next, as well detail work - e .g. filling the space inside the "collar" with paper tissue, soaked with white carpenter glue, the water and pressure hoses have to be mounted, decals, etc.