Kawanishi N1K7 Jetrex

Started by zenrat, June 21, 2015, 04:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

In the closing months of the Second World War the Japanese Kawanishi aircraft company fitted an Ne-10 centrifugal flow turbojet into the front of an N1K1 Kyofu dividing the tailpipe into two to exit via the wingroots.  And thus the N1K7 was created.
N1K7 Jetrex 007 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
N1K7 Jetrex 015 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
N1K7 Jetrex 010 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
N1K7 Jetrex 016 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
N1K7 Jetrex 001 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The model is a 1/72 Hasegawa late model Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu (Rex).  The second part of an early/late double kit.  I built it mainly to try out hairspray weathering but was inspired by a picture posted elsewhere on the forum to make it jet powered.  The Rex has very thick wing root fairings which when cut away made for the ideal places for the tailpipes to exit.  The tailpipes are scratchbuilt and the thingo in the intake is the tip of a drop tank.  Other than that (and the pilot - who is an Elheim figures helicopter pilot) it's built OOB.
Paint is Silver car paint sprayed on from a rattle can followed by hairspray followed by brushed on Vallejo acrylics.  I didn't use any decals.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Sticky Fingers

Love everything about this!   :bow:

Librarian

....and leaves you wondering WHY? everyone had a problem with a jet floatplane. Wouldn't that have worked? Those exhausts just belong in the wing roots. Fantastic :wub: :bow:.

ericr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 21, 2015, 04:37:20 AM
Lovely paint finish!  :thumbsup:

What Dizzy said, it's superb!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Does that beaching trolley come with the kit? If not, what's its source please?

Some people didn't have problems with jet floatplanes, the Saro SRA/1 and the Convair Sea Dart worked OK. It was just that the forces they were designed for didn't want them in the end.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.
I think I got a bit carried away removing paint (only meant to expose the leading edges and other wear prone areas) but it does look good doesn't it?
Kit - the trolley comes in the kit.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Tophe

Wow! Great model (and great invention)! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Really great.  Like the split exhausts very much. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Looks great. Love the weathered look.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

:bow: Beautiful finish on that thing!! I wouldn't worry about overdoing it like that, it looks real good!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Army of One

That looks great.......what a spanking build........ :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

zenrat

Fred

Librarian

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2015, 04:13:22 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 21, 2015, 04:37:20 AM
Lovely paint finish!  :thumbsup:

Some people didn't have problems with jet floatplanes, the Saro SRA/1 and the Convair Sea Dart worked OK. It was just that the forces they were designed for didn't want them in the end.

Granted...I assumed they did 'cos the Saro looked like a tugboat with two engines attached and the Sea Dart was an attempt at a supersonic fighter floatplane. No one seemed to have come up with a useful battleship-based scout/fighter jet floatplane, or was this an obsolete concept after the war?