BoB Spitfire

Started by Gondor, June 22, 2015, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

The Battle of Britain Spitfire
The Battle of Britain and the Spitfire go together like cheese and ham. Now going by the pictures you may say that this Spitfire was not in the Battle of Britain is true, but it nearly did appear in it, the film that is. The depicted aircraft was rescued from Southern Rhodesia and was painted up as an aircraft from 118 Squadron as the makers of the film were trying to get as many flying aircraft as possible.

Unfortunately not everyone is cut out to be a star and neither was this aircraft which was found to look too dissimilar to other Spitfires from the period and whose high speed caused problems for the film makers forcing them the film makers to cut the aircraft from the film.

Everything used was either Airfix or Humbrol apart from the Gator's Grip which I used to glue the canopy on and a few other parts at the end of the build. Scale 1/72 throughout. The paint used was Humbrol Acrylic pots that come with the starter kits, decals are from both the Airfix F22 and Airfix Mk1/MkIIa.

No weathering has be carried out as the aircraft was painted for a film so it never had a chance to get dirty.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Looks excellent in those colours. I really like that. Imagine those in the real BoB ? I could see how she would cause a problem for the film makers tho....

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Ohhhh the MK24 Spitfire ... my fav of all Spits ... i have two my self in 32nd scale ,,Revell is the manufacturer and to be totally honest they suck ... yours tho does not suck ,,very nicely done and i agree with the captain ... looks seriously good in that cammo ..well done man  :thumbsup: :smiley:

Phill
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

I'm sure I saw that one over Duxford during the filming..............  ;D :lol:

Super job Alastair, it fits the backstory exactly.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Lovely. Absolutely lovely.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Nice job.
The Messerschmitts and Heinkels in the movie didn't look like Messerschmitts and Heinkels so why should the Spitfires have looked like Spitfires?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Zenrat mate the Messerschmitts and Heinkels are real Messerschmitts and Heinkels but re engined with Rolls Royce Merlin engines, thats why they look different from the original aircraft ,all the  ME 109's  are ex Spanish air force birds and were flown by Spanish airforce pilots .
The Heinkels were used in the movie for free and flown by the Spanish pilots cause those were still in service which where they still were used for transport and target towing.

Phill
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

I did know that thanks mate.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Late model spitfires and Seafires look great in any color  :lol:

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on June 22, 2015, 02:54:39 PM
Ohhhh the MK24 Spitfire ... my fav of all Spits ... i have two my self in 32nd scale ,,Revell is the manufacturer and to be totally honest they suck ... yours tho does not suck ,,very nicely done and i agree with the captain ... looks seriously good in that cammo ..well done man  :thumbsup: :smiley:

Phill

Airfix Mk 22 in 1/72 scale Wardukw-NZ which I should have said in the info about the build and which I will modify to do so.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

DogfighterZen

No matter what, Spits are all beautifull and yours is no exception, Gondor!  :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
Nice job.
The Messerschmitts and Heinkels in the movie didn't look like Messerschmitts and Heinkels so why should the Spitfires have looked like Spitfires?

Second that. And it's even the better option than using a P-51 as an early Spitfire double...

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 23, 2015, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
Nice job.

Second that. And it's even the better option than using a P-51 as an early Spitfire double...

Speaking of movies, i was watching " The longest day" and at around 37m50s i think there are 4 skyraiders flying by the invasion fleet...  :blink:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Thank you for your kind comments guys  :thumbsup:

Gondor