BoB Spitfire

Started by Gondor, June 22, 2015, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Dogfighterzen ... i decided to take a look at what you said about the longest day and you nailed that one ...at first glance you might think they were P47's but when it shows another shot of the planes from the side as they pass a ship that tail is definitely Skyraider ,,damn well spotted matey  :thumbsup:

Gondor mate ,,oh its 1/72nd ... ok its better now  :lol: ,,that would look good in 32 nd but looks seriously kick arse in 72nd ..  well done again bud  :smiley:

Phill
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

KiwiZac

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 23, 2015, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
Nice job.
The Messerschmitts and Heinkels in the movie didn't look like Messerschmitts and Heinkels so why should the Spitfires have looked like Spitfires?

Second that. And it's even the better option than using a P-51 as an early Spitfire double...
How about using a Buchon modded to look like a razorback P-51?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Wooksta!

Hmmmn.  Don't know where to start with this one.

The Heinkels and Messerschmitts were modded as much as possible to look like BoB aircraft.  The makers of the film took great pains to get the aircraft to look right.  To the extent of rebuilding Proctors to look like Stukas, removing cannon barrels and replacing rudders on Spitfire IXs and building up the spines of Spitfire 16s to get them to look more like mk Is.  Codes on the aircraft looked real but were spurious (although on checking, many of the RAF codes were actually station flights or training units)

They used what was available and did a fantastic job.  To accuse them of doing otherwise is to do them a grave injustice.

Which is why the model doesn't work for me at all.  They'd have modded it to get it to look closer and then used it in long shots - look carefully and you can see Buchons in RAF cammo and PR19 Spits in similar colours.

This is much closer the mark:

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on June 23, 2015, 02:59:45 PM
Dogfighterzen ... i decided to take a look at what you said about the longest day and you nailed that one ...at first glance you might think they were P47's but when it shows another shot of the planes from the side as they pass a ship that tail is definitely Skyraider ,,damn well spotted matey  :thumbsup:

;D Thanks for the confirmation!!  :thumbsup:
I thought of P-47s but as the movie is from 62, i thought the A-1s would've been more easily available for the movie than the old Jugs and then, the tail, the long drop tanks and engine cowling called it out.

:cheers:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Lee, it's what if and that's exactly how I build it. Simple and easy and straight out of the box with minimal change and basically a swapping of decals and paint scheme.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 24, 2015, 02:27:26 AM
Lee, it's what if and that's exactly how I build it. Simple and easy and straight out of the box with minimal change and basically a swapping of decals and paint scheme.

It's YOUR model Alastair, do it YOUR way.................  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit