USAF special ops paint schemes

Started by kerick, June 22, 2015, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Does anyone know what the paint colors on the special ops CV-22s, AC-130s and MH-130s are? I've searched and found plenty of pics but no references. Is there a web site or something for this type of info?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Is there a Black Ops SIG?

If I had an aircraft dedicated to Black Ops i'd paint it exactly the same as all the rest (maybe even duplicating some numbers) and park it in with the herd rather than giving it a special paint job, putting it way off in the corner and then telling everyone not to look at it.
But then maybe that's what they do and we're all looking in exactly the direction they want us to?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Nah, the *real* Black Ops stuff is, as everyone knows, invisible - or parked in orbit and only lands when needed...

Of course, this supposes they don't simply 'beam' wherever they want to go... :blink: :blink:

Must away to the Bunker, before they come for..... oops, too....

Hobbes

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2015, 10:44:33 PM
Is there a Black Ops SIG?

If I had an aircraft dedicated to Black Ops i'd paint it exactly the same as all the rest (maybe even duplicating some numbers) and park it in with the herd rather than giving it a special paint job, putting it way off in the corner and then telling everyone not to look at it.
But then maybe that's what they do and we're all looking in exactly the direction they want us to?

That works as long as you're using a standard aircraft. But if your Hercules has a howitzer sticking out the side, no amount of paint is going to make it blend in  ;D

scooter

Probably a darker version of Gunship Grey...unless you want to go with an SEA scheme, then SEA over black undersides
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Sorry can't help, they seem to be mostly the boring gray just like about everything else USAF these days.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

The MH-130s had a scheme similar to Europe One - the same that was also used on the Wld Weasel F-4Gs based in Germany: it's basically the SEA scheme, but the tan was replaced by Dark Grey, effectively FS 34102, 34079 and 36081. The latter would bleach easily and sometimes appear like a blue tone, or like Gunship Grey (FS 36118). Undersides were AFAIK black, though, while the F-4Gs had a wraparound scheme.

I think the latest scheme is simple FS 36118 for the upper surfaces and 36375 for the undersides?

kerick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 23, 2015, 09:53:27 AM

I think the latest scheme is simple FS 36118 for the upper surfaces and 36375 for the undersides?

This is the scheme I was thinking of.
http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/usaf/cv-22-parked-hr.jpg

Could be gunship grey/gray, not sure.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Tried to confirm it, but recently read that these are FS 36118 and 36375. Cannot find the source, guess it was in some online painting instructions since I have been researching USAF special ops cammos, too, and stumbled across the CV-22. The USMC machines are classic FS 36375, 36320, 35237, though, and at least one prototype was all over FS 36173 (Neutral Grey) - and the special ops machines look darker on the upper sides, so IMHO Gunship Grey is plausible.

sandiego89

Good stuff Dizzy. in my experience while gunship gray may be the right color, it tends to look a shade too dark on many models. Painting to scale a bit, you may need to go a bit lighter than the official federal standard color. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Dizzyfugu

Yes; when you check pics it appears in VERY different shades. I guess adding some drops of white or some later shading with lighter tones (Neutral Grey might be a very good option) will certainly help.

kerick

This is perfect! Thanks a million.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Cool link !

I thought they had a silver hue to them ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 26, 2015, 11:01:32 AM
Cool link !

I thought they had a silver hue to them ?

Good link indeed.  Two of the US Marine Corps MV-22's carried a silverish finish (low IR experiment I believe) and flew that way at a few big airshows, and there are lots of photos of them in that guise.  A more subdued gray was adopted.     

Dave "Sandiego89"