A PR Comet

Started by NARSES2, June 23, 2015, 06:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right late to the party but here's what I'll be building.

She will be RAF Photo Reconnaissance in 1940, either as a two seat PR trainer or possibly as an emergency PR aircraft during the Invasion Crisis.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Sweet ! I couldn't believe how small the aeroplane was when I first opened that box !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That's got to look great when it's done, a forerunner of the PR Mossies.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Good luck.  I gave up on mine and put it back in the stash for a while.  The amount of PSR got to me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 23, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
Right late to the party

Fashionably so, especially with a Comet. :wub:

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 23, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
possibly as an emergency PR aircraft during the Invasion Crisis.

There's a lot of legs in that one, all sorts of things that could be impressed into roles that were never intended.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 23, 2015, 08:17:01 AM
Sweet ! I couldn't believe how small the aeroplane was when I first opened that box !

Very much so Capt. I didn't realise the cockpit was "solid" either and the 2 crew figures moulded into it are so 1950's  ;D

Anyway I'm going to cut the top piece of the cockpit away and add some simple detail after that I have 3 options.

Option 1) Other then the cockpit build her out of the box, perhaps mount her on a stand in flying mode.

Option 2) Do some more extensive work on her. 3 bladed props (I think I have some small enough), convert to a single seater with the space for the 2nd seat occupied by the camera equipment. The thought I had last night was to say that De Haviland had bought one of the aircraft back from it's owners and used her to try out a nose wheel undercarriage ? This is gradually growing on me

Option 3) Any of 1 and 2 above in any combination  :rolleyes:

Quote from: kitbasher on June 23, 2015, 02:15:00 PM
Camotint!

Yes or a hint of Sky/Duck Egg Blue ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

I
said
CAMOTINT!!!!!

😉
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on June 24, 2015, 10:35:22 AM
I
said
CAMOTINT!!!!!

😉

I know you did  ;D Any suggestions as to what "off the shelf" paint I should use ? I hate these paint mix charts where they go 2 parts x + 17 parts y + 33 parts z  :banghead: and yes I am talking about you Revell

NARSES2

I was going to wait until I finished the Dornier......but  ;D Carved out the cockpit section and the area for the nose wheel undercarriage. The plastic is thick enough to use for structural purposes but at least is easy to work.

I never realised just how old this kit is. It really is like an old school limited run kit with no pins/holes to aid joining and very few parts. Things like the undercarriage struts are just very thin rod with no detail but are remarkably thin and with no flash whatsoever. Just shows how far we've come. I will be strengthening the undercarriage struts as I just don't trust them to take the weight by the time lead has been added.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2015, 06:27:48 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 24, 2015, 10:35:22 AM
I
said
CAMOTINT!!!!!

😉

I know you did  ;D Any suggestions as to what "off the shelf" paint I should use ? I hate these paint mix charts where they go 2 parts x + 17 parts y + 33 parts z  :banghead: and yes I am talking about you Revell

The Humbrol Colour book is just as bad ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TallEng

how about Xtracolor/Xtracrylix Sky ? nice colour for sneaking about early morning/evening
I've done a Spitfire FR.21 in that, looks very fetching :thumbsup:
even if I say so my self ;D
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38008.15.html

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Humbrol do a pale looking Sky too.

I have no idea what the code no. is as my tin lid has been handily painted red. [It's a long story......]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2015, 06:32:29 AMI never realised just how old this kit is.
You are a real sucker for punishment. Of all the Airfix tools that need to be scrapped and melted down into new-tool moulds, it's this one. Good luck!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NARSES2

Right I've been reading up about Camotint and from what I've read it was Sky but with a different surface finish. Or maybe to be accurate we should say Sky was Camotint with a different surface finish as Sky came afterwards  ;D

So I'm going with Xtracrylic Sky with a satin varnish until Kitbasher sets his minions on me  ;D