Maskol

Started by Hman, June 23, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hman

Hi, I have bought some Maskol, to mask canopies before painting.  Never used it before any tips? 
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Rick Lowe

Personally, I'd use tape for the edges of the canopy framing and the Maskol inside those pieces, but then I never can get a straight line with that stuff.

I use a toothpick or sprue as an applicator, as I'm never sure what the solvent is to remove it from a paintbrush...

FWIW, HTH

Dizzyfugu

I frequently use it. It works, but it has some twists:

- It's water-based, so make sure the underground/canopy is free from fat and silicones

- Application with a brush is feasible, but the latex clings to the fibres and you might ruin the brush; better use an old one, and...

- Rather use a tooth pick for application

- The coat is very thin, but adheres well, you might have to apply a second or third layer, just to be sure. This makes the coat also a bit stiffer and easier to take away

- You might also add a piece of tape under the latex coat that protrudes - it can later be use as a handle, makes it easier to peel away the mask

- Edges can be tricky. You can only rub away the mask once the paint is dry, and that might cause broken edges. It's an inherent problem of the stuff.

hamsandwich

I use Badger Airbrush Cleaner to clean Maskol off brushes. Works a treat, I can't tell which brush I used.

zenrat

I have some.  Can't get on with it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I wish it wasn't purple.........  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I find it useful for large areas but use tape for the edges as it's impossible to get a straight one with the stuff. It's also very useful for masking landing lights/nav lights etc where you can always touch up the wing/fuselage paint job with a small brush.

Otherwise Dizzy has covered it all  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 24, 2015, 06:23:20 AM
I find it useful for large areas but use tape for the edges as it's impossible to get a straight one with the stuff. It's also very useful for masking landing lights/nav lights etc where you can always touch up the wing/fuselage paint job with a small brush.

Otherwise Dizzy has covered it all  :thumbsup:

Thank you. And, yes, a combo with tape for large areas is smart.  :thumbsup:
You do not only create a decent edge this way, the tape also acts as "handle" for easier removal of the Maskol.

Hman

Magic, thanks for the tips everyone.  I will give it a try at the weekend. :thumbsup:
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."