1/32 EC-135 Gunship

Started by sykotik, June 27, 2015, 05:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Hello everyone

I was at work having a good look around this site today and I figured it's about time I contribute a bit more and post a WIP. I know a few names here from B.T.S, so this project is something already known to you.
This is the new tool Revell 1/32 EC-135 "ADAC" chopper, but seeing as I just can not bring myself to build many things OOB these days, I thought I'd do something different and turn it from a medical copter into a gunship.
Armed with Black Ops GAU-19's and rocket launchers, I'm hoping it'll look a bit more fearsome than the EC-635. I've even gone so far as to use figures - something I haven't done in many years simply because my figure painting skills just aren't that good. I'm also using Live Resin ammo boxes and batteries for the GAU's and am currently waiting on some flexi-resin ammo belts to arrive from Russia.
This is the second helo I've ever built - the first being the 1/48 CH-53 which ended up in the bin - less a few parts that I thought I could use one day on another project.

So far, this has not been as smooth sailing as I thought it'd be, but I shall persevere because that's also what I said about the BR52 and I am happy with how that turned out.... more or less :)

To begin with - the interior. This kit comes with heaps of seats, so I thought it'd be quite a cool battle taxi for a small special op's team. I've made up a comm's panel for the rear wall just to add some interest. I chopped up the Revell wall and used the computer banks and some other piece of equipment that could serve as anything really. With most of my builds, function follows form and this is no different.

Next up is the engines. Nothing to amazing here - straight from the box with no additional wiring because you won't see any of it

Now for the fun things - the weapons. The rocket launchers are a dream - nice and easy to work with:

The GAU's on the other hand - freaking nightmare to get the barrels to sit proper and even now after ages trying to get them right, they still sit a bit wonky.

For quite a while, my major dilemma was how the heck was I going to mount these onto the chopper?! I tossed about the idea of using a bracket style mounting like the EC635 or even UH-1, but that just wouldn't suite the nice sleek lines of the 135, so then I thought about using AH-1 Cobra wings. I went to buy some from Cobra Company but that fell through after the owner was extremely rude and unhelpful.
In the end, I decided to make my own winglets for the weapons to hang from. This way, I could get the shape and size I wanted. I even added rivets by using my rivet tool for the very first time ever. It shows... but thankfully, not to much.

My not-so great figures (1/35 CH-47 modern pilot set - not the same scale but they work for the effect)

they've received a tan since these were shot and don't look so ghostly

and this last shot is pretty much where I am up to right now - the tail section. This part will be OOB because I see no need to modify it:

I am waiting for the other front seat to dry (paint) and then I'll reattach the pilot and then install the interior into the body. More over, I'll do that part once the ammo belts arrive and I've shaped them first :)

So that's where I am at. Thanks for stopping by and having a look. I am always open to constructive critique and ideas so please feel free to let me know what your thoughts are.
I realise this is not my greatest work to date, but it'll do for now. I shall continue to tidy things up as best I can as I go along

Si

Tophe

Quote from: sykotik on June 27, 2015, 05:48:12 AM
This is the new tool Revell 1/32 EC-135 "ADAC" chopper
Uh? In French A.D.A.C (Avions à Décollages et Atterrissages Courts) means STOL, will your helicopter have wings and propeller(s)?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great work. The details and painting are superb ! I's add some armour to the seats tho, the bad guys will be shooting back  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Quote from: Tophe on June 27, 2015, 06:47:11 AM
Uh? In French A.D.A.C (Avions à Décollages et Atterrissages Courts) means STOL, will your helicopter have wings and propeller(s)?

ADAC = the German organization for roadside assistance, they also run medical emergency helicopters.

loupgarou

Quote from: Hobbes on June 27, 2015, 10:24:28 AM
Quote from: Tophe on June 27, 2015, 06:47:11 AM

ADAC = the German organization for roadside assistance, they also run medical emergency helicopters.

The ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V.) is an automobile club in Germany, founded on May 24, 1903 as German Motorbiker Association ("Deutsche Motorradfahrer-Vereinigung"), and was renamed to its present name in 1911.

With more than 18 million members in May 2012,[1] it is the largest automobile club in Europe. It is also the largest motorcyclist association in the world, with 1.5 million members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Mossie

Looks good.  I read misread the title as KC-135! :o
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2015, 01:30:01 PM
Looks good.  I read misread the title as KC-135! :o

I was thinking EC-135 Looking Glass! 

Does look great. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sykotik

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 27, 2015, 07:42:33 AM
Great work. The details and painting are superb ! I's add some armour to the seats tho, the bad guys will be shooting back  :thumbsup:

Good call - I didn't think of that! I shall attend to that as soon as I get home.  :cheers:

Sticky Fingers

Cool! Reminds me of something I did, couple of years ago, in another scale.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34134.0.html

sykotik

That came out nicely Sticky. Well done! Mine won't be camo'd though.
Speaking of which, I'm currently continuing on with filling and sanding. Man, I have built some clangers from Revell before but this is just shockingly bad. Gaps like you wouldn't believe and I really had to fight the 2 halves to go together, but it's coming along and I am hoping to get to the painting stage very soon. The very worst of the gaps was on the bottom up front. I think a lot of my issues are due to bad workmanship

Captain Canada

That sucks when big kits have fit problems !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sykotik

greetings

Well, I have been really struggling with this one. For a newly tooled kit, it's pretty darned bad - especially the plates on the bottom. To be fair, I'm also thinking it could just be bad workmanship too.

At least it's starting to look like an EC-135 and there isn't much more to do - just a few more bits and bobs to add and then I can start painting.

The coins are there to add nose weight - I forgot to add them earlier and this was the best solution I had on hand.

So, that's where I am up to at present. Not far from the finish line and then I can start the one project I have been dying to do - the 1/32 SU-27  ;D So can't wait

Anyway, as always, thanks for looking

Si

Dizzyfugu

Whew... when I read the headline I expected THIS to be turned into a 1:32 gunship...  ;)

sykotik

hmmm...tempting I must say  ;D Might be a bit to quick for a gunship though - but how cool would it be to load it up with 2x105 2x40mm and 4x25mm guns!!