Me 163 K (Prototyp)

Started by Sticky Fingers, June 29, 2015, 08:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Fingers

The Messerschmitt Me 163 K ('K' for Kriegsmarine) was a point defence fighter used by Trägergruppe 11 aboard the second German aircraft-carrier, the "Graf Wahnsinn", stationed off occupied Greenland in 1946. Pictured here is a piston-powered prototype, used solely for carrier take-off and landing testing. Take-offs were done with the catapult connected to the dolly under the landing skid. The pilot no longer has to release this dolly manually. (A great improvement over the hazardous take-offs in earlier years where the dolly had a tendency to bounce back up after release and hit the aircraft, usually with disastrous consequences.) The production version would use a revised Walter HWK 109–509C rocket engine powered by newer, more stable and less corrosive versions of the infamous C and T-stoff rocket fuels.

Main differences with the more familiar Me 163 B are the folding wings and tail section, an arrestor hook and a revised cockpit, with a canopy that hinges up instead of to the right.

The prototype pictured does away with the armoured glass in front and behind the pilot. In this particular case the cockpit is test fitted with a possible alternative for the Revi bomb sight: a telescopic night sight, a convenience for those months were the sun doesn't reach the pole.

Revell's 1:48 Me 163 B1-a Komet and CMK's German Pilot and groundcrew (minus the groundcrew), modifications scratchbuild or kitbashed. Decals from the sparesbox, all paint Vallejo Air.

And before anyone mentions it: No, it will not be able to land with those prop blades, and, no, the tail section won't fold with the rocket engine installed. They're still working on those little inconveniences...

PR19_Kit

Beyond weird!  ;D

But totally superb.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That is so cool ! Love the look of it, and the tail fold...with the tyre turned the right way and everything ! Nice work.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

LOL... I just wonder what engine that is and how it's mounted to the rest of this Marinefloh!

With Ma.K. dice nose art?

The subtle shades of light grey are nice, BTW!  :thumbsup:

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Sticky Fingers

Thanks a lot gents!

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 29, 2015, 09:03:31 AM...with the tyre turned the right way...
Glad you noticed  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 29, 2015, 09:50:36 AM
I just wonder what engine that is and how it's mounted to the rest of this Marinefloh!
It's half of a 1/72 Bv P194  BMW 801D engine (so it's now a seven-cylinder), mounted with the newly synthesized Sticky Unobtanium™.

QuoteWith Ma.K. dice nose art?
Yes yes! And the "17" 's are Maschinen Krieger, too. Lots of Ma.k decal artwork is copied or modified from existing (often German) WW2 artwork. Only fair to use it on stuff other than Ma.K. ;) I used some on the Zaku too, by the way. Making it a recurring theme  ;D

loupgarou

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 29, 2015, 08:34:18 AM

The Messerschmitt Me 163 K ('K' for Kriegsmarine) was a point defence fighter used by Trägergruppe 11 aboard the second German aircraft-carrier, the "Graf Wahnsinn", stationed off occupied Greenland in 1946. Pictured here is a piston-powered prototype, used solely for carrier take-off and landing testing. Take-offs were done with the catapult connected to the dolly under the landing skid. The pilot no longer has to release this dolly manually. (A great improvement over the hazardous take-offs in earlier years where the dolly had a tendency to bounce back up after release and hit the aircraft, usually with disastrous consequences.) The production version would use a revised Walter HWK 109–509C rocket engine powered by newer, more stable and less corrosive versions of the infamous C and T-stoff rocket fuels.

And before anyone mentions it: No, it will not be able to land with those prop blades, and, no, the tail section won't fold with the rocket engine installed. They're still working on those little inconveniences...

Really impressive.
And, if I may say so, your note is so typical of german technology, especially in late WW2.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Tophe

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 29, 2015, 08:34:18 AM
Uh??? Do you mean... the Me-163K was "Real"??? We (Official Historians, severe  :angry: ) had sent to garbage the documents about Zwilling Me-163ZK (-1 & -2) with such nose radial engine(s) :-\ :blink:  as being completely crazy  :rolleyes: , like "what-if" (the deepest insult in our job)... But maybe we were wrong, and we will make big money if the garbage cans have not been evacuated...

(thanks Sticky Fingers!) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

dumaniac

Sticky Fingers

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Tophe on June 29, 2015, 06:14:08 PM

That's the cherry on the cake, Tophe, merci bien  :thumbsup:

Here are some in-progress photos. I didn't take many, mainly because, well, I forgot.

Tophe

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on June 30, 2015, 03:41:09 AM
That's the cherry on the cake, Tophe, merci bien  :thumbsup:
Here are some in-progress photos. I didn't take many, mainly because, well, I forgot.
Thanks to you, inventor of this Me-163K...
The detailed cockpit is impressive. You built a complete marvel, it seems... :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 30, 2015, 06:38:57 AM
Amazing build  :thumbsup:

What Chris said, VERY impressive indeed.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hotte

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"