Moments of Zen

Started by DogfighterZen, June 30, 2015, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 09, 2021, 12:08:08 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 08, 2021, 06:26:11 PM
I was about to begin a train of thought wondering about the legality of betting on another individuals health........... when I realized that insurance companies do exactly that. Muuaahhaaaha  ;D  :wacko:

Yup and pay actuaries extremely high salaries to calculate the odds   :rolleyes:

And after that, charge us ridiculous amounts for the insurance service so they can pay those salaries... :rolleyes:
So, i'm at the bench and ready to work!  :thumbsup:
I still feel crusty but well enough so, i'm gonna try to do some modelling today...

Regarding the Griffang, i've wanted to build one since i saw the Reno races' Mustangs with Griffon engines. I love the look of Griffon engined Spitfires and seeing that a Griffon powered Mustang never saw mass production, i wanna build a military one.
I've seen a model of the "Precious metal" Mustang converted into a military machine, probably on this forum, and that made me wanna build a late model Mustang with a late Spitfire's Griffon.  Also, i read an article on the study of laminar flow wings for the Spitfire which lead to Spiteful and that made me think what if it was the other way around? Having late model Spit attributes on the Mustang.
I still have to decide if i'll be using the P-51D or the H model but i'm leaning more toward the H but i still have some reading to do before i decide.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 09, 2021, 12:08:08 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 08, 2021, 06:26:11 PM
I was about to begin a train of thought wondering about the legality of betting on another individuals health........... when I realized that insurance companies do exactly that. Muuaahhaaaha  ;D  :wacko:

Yup and pay actuaries extremely high salaries to calculate the odds   :rolleyes:

In many instances these insurance companies are like cartels or something...  a lot of the stuff they do should be downright illegal. A lot of it tied directly to gov't. For instance, if you get caught driving with no insurance, as part of the fine, the gov't forces you to purchase auto insurance EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LICENSE, DON'T AND WON'T DRIVE AGAIN, AND DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR. They're in cahoots and it's disgusting. BUT ANYWAY....    My health insurance has been pretty decent, I can say that much at least... up until just recently when they monkeyed around with my prescriptions, that is. Still... largely OK... when I wound up in the emergency room with Covid last year I only wound up paying.... maybe $350? That's the ambulance ride, short stay at the hospital, and everything.....   
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Another curious fact is that whenever it's time for us to pay, it has to be done within the deadline they give you but whenever it's THEIR time to pay, you have to wait until they remember to do so and there's no point in arguing with them. You miss a deadline, the insurance is automatically cut off but there's no deadline for their payments... I've been through my share of problems because of these issues so, i don't see insurance companies in the best way possible. These elites look out for one another but i may be going into conspiracy theory territory here so it's better i stop here... i'm not into changing peoples minds about stuff like this. I have my own perspective of things and i respect everyone else's views. Interested people have lots of info available but it becomes a bit like religious matters, very sensitive subjects that can easily grow into pointless discussions that involve casting doubt on long established ideas and institutions and so on... but i'm already extending myself too much so i'll stop now. :-X

Ok, changing the subject a little, my covid test came back negative!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That means i'm back to work tomorrow... and i didn't get anything done... i've been very lazy this past month... :banghead: :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

In response to first paragraph. Damn straight, you said it, bruh!!!  It's like how when someone screws up and takes your money in mere seconds it takes weeks to return it. Like... at an ATM when it takes from your account but doesn't actually spit out any money or when you pay for something and they mess it up and take too much money off of your card.

And second!!!  Congratulations!!! I want my $50!  (oh wait, I didn't have any takers).   ;D

I'm with you on the laziness stuff. Along with everything else... there's just something about this time of year. At least for us Northern Hemi. folk.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Thanks! Sorry but no official bets placed so i'll have to cancel that one... ;D :thumbsup:
It may not affect everyone but i agree, winter is always a less productive time of the year for me too... that said, i'm getting ready to go to work in a few minutes so, at least that keeps going. :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Very good! "Kick the tires, and light the fires!" 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

You can have multiple life insurance policies but if I insure my car with three or four different companies and then arrange for it to be stolen so I can get a much better one then I am committing fraud...

:-\
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 09, 2021, 06:16:21 PM

Ok, changing the subject a little, my covid test came back negative!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fantastic news  ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 09, 2021, 12:36:04 PM
  My health insurance has been pretty decent, I can say that much at least... up until just recently when they monkeyed around with my prescriptions, that is. Still... largely OK... when I wound up in the emergency room with Covid last year I only wound up paying.... maybe $350? That's the ambulance ride, short stay at the hospital, and everything.....

Get yourselves an NHS  ;)

Quote from: zenrat on February 10, 2021, 02:14:28 AM
You can have multiple life insurance policies but if I insure my car with three or four different companies and then arrange for it to be stolen so I can get a much better one then I am committing fraud...

And one of the first things I learned whilst studying for my Chartered Insurance exams back in the 70's was why.  ;D I spent 10 years in Assurance/Insurance prior to joining British Steel and during that time actually passed and paid for my FCII. Have I used it ? Yes it did come in handy to help a mate out in the mid 80's but that's all. Long since lapsed I presume now.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 10, 2021, 06:24:58 AM
  My health insurance has been pretty decent, I can say that much at least... up until just recently when they monkeyed around with my prescriptions, that is. Still... largely OK... when I wound up in the emergency room with Covid last year I only wound up paying.... maybe $350? That's the ambulance ride, short stay at the hospital, and everything.....

We're trying (and apparently we've been trying since the first Roosevelt in office), but offices with rather distasteful "lobbies" on certain streets in DC make that rather difficult.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 09, 2021, 03:34:59 AM
I've seen a model of the "Precious metal" Mustang converted into a military machine, probably on this forum, and that made me wanna build a late model Mustang with a late Spitfire's Griffon.

A very convenient "trick" is to get one of the many Special Hobby Griffon Spitfire kits and simply transplant the bulgings onto a Mustang, because they come as sperate parts in these kits (together with lost of optional parts, including five rudders and two props, one of them with two different blades). I did this stunt for a Griffon-powered racing Mustang (based on an Academy P-51D, shoudl work with an H, too) and it worked like a charm:

1:72 North American P-51D mod. "Gulf-Mirage/#63" (N7784Z) Reno Air Racer, Unlimited Class; 1974 (Whif/Academy kit conversion) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on February 10, 2021, 06:49:03 AM

We're trying (and apparently we've been trying since the first Roosevelt in office), but offices with rather distasteful "lobbies" on certain streets in DC make that rather difficult.

Interesting. I knew there had been attempts, but didn't realise they went that far back. Cheers Scoot  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 10, 2021, 06:57:41 AM
I've seen a model of the "Precious metal" Mustang converted into a military machine, probably on this forum, and that made me wanna build a late model Mustang with a late Spitfire's Griffon.

A very convenient "trick" is to get one of the many Special Hobby Griffon Spitfire kits and simply transplant the bulgings onto a Mustang, because they come as sperate parts in these kits (together with lost of optional parts, including five rudders and two props, one of them with two different blades). I did this stunt for a Griffon-powered racing Mustang (based on an Academy P-51D, shoudl work with an H, too) and it worked like a charm:

Now that's an interesting idea, thanks' Dizzy  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 10, 2021, 06:19:56 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 09, 2021, 06:16:21 PM

Fantastic news  ;D :thumbsup:

Thanks, Chris!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It was relief... but the "party" is still going strong here in Portugal so no victory dance for me... i'll dance when we can all say it's under control... :banghead:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 10, 2021, 06:57:41 AM

1:72 North American P-51D mod. "Gulf-Mirage/#63" (N7784Z) Reno Air Racer, Unlimited Class; 1974 (Whif/Academy kit conversion) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I had to go see the finished product again and i do remember that gorgeous racer!  :thumbsup:
It's funny cause i was having a hard time remembering any Griffon engined Mustangs on here and could only remember the military "Precious Metal" and i believe that one was just posted here on the Whifs found on the web or facebook... :unsure:
I did my research before i bought the kits and bought the Xtrakit Spitfire F.22, which is the same as the SH kit, although scalemates says it has  new parts in the SH releases. It was so cheap that i didn't even bother to look for the SH kit cause this one has all the parts i need for what i have in mind.
I'm using the engine bulges, 5 blade prop and a few other bits too... ;)
Regarding the Mustang kits, i'm still not sure if i'll use the H ot the D. Although it's more work with a fuselage and rudder extension, i'm leaning more towards the D cause the H is a very nice kit and the D is way easier to find so i'm thinking of saving the H for an OOB build and a simpler whif.
Still, the initial idea for this conversion was because the Griffon wasn't put in the Mustang for production during WWII but what if the H was designed with the Griffon?
I have to decide... :rolleyes:

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on February 10, 2021, 02:14:28 AM

And one of the first things I learned whilst studying for my Chartered Insurance exams back in the 70's was why.  ;D I spent 10 years in Assurance/Insurance prior to joining British Steel and during that time actually passed and paid for my FCII. Have I used it ? Yes it did come in handy to help a mate out in the mid 80's but that's all. Long since lapsed I presume now.

Roger that!!
-Sprues McDuck-