Moments of Zen

Started by DogfighterZen, June 30, 2015, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D   McGangbang... start there. It wasn't bad at all, really!  Ease your way into the McChickO'fish at your peril.  :mellow:   (nah, actually, it wasn't bad either, but oddly enough it was better IMO after having been in the fridge for a day.....  kinda like how spaghetti is somehow better after it has sat around awhile)  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

I'll have to give them a try one of these days. ;)

So, obviously my plans of getting the pics and story of the finished Mirage failed, exhaustion won after i had dinner... :banghead:
Gonna give it a try now...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Ok, finished the Mirage and it's time for a bench refresh... The F-16W is still on the bench and i'll be working on it but regarding the Gazelle/Blue Thunder conversion, i've decided to leave that project for now cause i still have to buy some bits for it.
Having that project off the bench for now left me wondering what would i like to build next and i chose another chopper...
So, the Hobbyboss 1/72 UH-1C Huey will become a PoAF bird during the Colonial wars in Africa.
Let's say that NATO and the UN lifted the arms embargo they had on Portugal in 1970 because of intel that proved that the Soviets were using the conflict to further their sphere of influence in the African continent. With these facts coming to light, the NATO council wanted to do all they could to prevent these countries from falling under Soviet influence so, the African colonial wars would become the next proxy war in the Cold War scenario. The intel revealed by the CIA would show that the Soviets had sold some Mig fighters to the PAIGC(rebel forces in Guinea) and were training pilots to fly them against the Portuguese.
With the Soviets supplying war materials to the rebel forces, the Portuguese would get help from NATO countries.

I think that this is a plausible background for a bunch of Portuguese whifs on my list, which includes choppers and planes(not necessarily all jets) like the AH-1 Cobra, F-5E Tiger II, another F-4 Phantom II(already built the F-4F so i'll go with another variant) and even some old prop fighters like the P-47D or that would've been refurbished and put back into service.
Also on my list is the A-1 Skyraider, F-8 Crusader, F-86K Sabre Dog, F-100s... so many... Still have to buy a kit of the A-4 and A-6... :rolleyes: ;D
Smaller jet fighters like the Gnat, Hunter are also on the list... i guess that more than 50% of my stash was bought with Portuguese markings in mind, either for the air force or navy.

Anyway, with these i'll have enough to do till i'm retired or dead so either way, i've got enough to keep me busy for a long time. :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Well, this year's bad vibes finally caught up with me as i've been forced to leave my job of 8 years at the wine estate...
This is what's been on my mind lately as i've had to look for work like a mad man after i left the estate but no luck so far. That's why i haven't been feeling like sitting at the bench to work on models, the money is short and the bills are certain so, i've been a bit anxious regarding this matter and that has simply took my mojo and buried it under 6 feet of dirt and stone... I feel bad just sitting at home and when i think of working on a model, i feel like i'm being a lazy donkey and not doing what i should which is look for work.
I've sent my cv to almost 10 companies but because of this covid-19 mess, nobody's hiring and it's just frustrating...
I've been unemployed for almost a month now and, although i've come to terms with the situation, it still worries me cause if i'm not able to find a job soon, things will get very complicated quickly... :banghead:
I know, i have to keep thinking positive and that's what i've been trying to do but this situation was unexpected and now i have to do whatever it takes to find a job and only then will i be able to truly relax.

Now that i've got that out of my system, time to talk about models. So, on my bench there's the Hobbyboss 1/72 UH-1C and the F-16W... i think these Viper variants are destined to take over a year to build, the first one only took me almost 3 years... :unsure: :rolleyes: ;D
The plan is to get back to work on both of these and add a third build before the year's end so, i know that, at least there will be a relaxing period when i start opening boxes to decide what to build... :mellow:

Anyway, i'll try to keep going strong and keep my head up.

:cheers:

kerick

Do you live anywhere near a package delivery company? Amazon keeps advertising for workers here in the US. Just wondering if it's anything like that in Portugal?
Don't feel bad about model building after hours or weekends. Just treat it as if you got home from work.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Damn, dude!!! That sucks to lose a gig you love. You'll find some new ish soon, I'm sure of it!
-Sprues McDuck-

Pellson

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 15, 2020, 03:57:30 PM
Well, this year's bad vibes finally caught up with me as i've been forced to leave my job of 8 years at the wine estate...

These are truly sad news, but I hope you'll find a new way forward. After all - it's us humans that drive the demand and since we're still here, some demand should as well. Chin up, and good luck!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Bugger.

But, view it as an opportunity (not easy I know, but it helps).  Don't limit yourself to what you know, go for anything you think interesting.  Even if you think it's beyond you, if you can get them to interview you then even if it's a no it's still good experience at being interviewed which is invaluable (I suck at interviews and need all the practice I can get).
And if you get someone to see you and they say no, get back in touch with them and ask them exactly why so you can address those reasons and improve.
Hit up everyone you know to see if they have work or know of any.
Don't be too proud to take government handouts - you paid taxes in, you deserve to get it back  if its going.
And think about training/qualifications.  Anything you could do to improve your hireability?  After I lost my job I got the qualifications for the job I had been doing.  They were paid for through a government loan scheme which doesn't require payback until I earn over a set annual salary and most of the coursework was covered by "recognition of prior learning" meaning that rather than write everything out I just had to chat with a tutor on the phone and demonstrate to him I knew the subject of the unit and had practical experience of it through work.

And finally, we are here if you need to talk.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That doesn't sound too good DZ, and I'm with the other guys on here in suggesting that almost anything is better than sliding into the slough of despond.

Assuming you can get their attention, almost any interview can be a learning process, and to your advantage. I once had an interview with the HR Dept. of a company that I already knew wouldn't take me as I'd failed their rather stringent medical (I'm asthmatic....) but the interview itself was good.

Keep at it, and we're pushing you of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I can only reiterate what's been said above about interviews, it is a technique and like all techniques it can be learnt and then honed.

Hopefully things will improve for you quickly and as Zenrat has already said "we are here if you need to talk".

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

I've been made redundant (twice) and although it's very disheartening when it happens, you have the entire Whiffworld community supporting you.    If you don't object, Madame R will add you to the list of people on her prayer list at the Cathedral tomorrow evening.  It won't do any harm and might possibly help.    The very best of luck in your searches.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

DogfighterZen

Thanks for all the support, brothers! :cheers:
I went a bit under because this situation wouldn't have happened if it weren't for this stupid virus and the effects it's having on our lives... I know it won't be easy but, i've been doing all i can to find a job so, hopefully something will come up soon.

Quote from: kerick on November 15, 2020, 07:06:43 PM
Do you live anywhere near a package delivery company? Amazon keeps advertising for workers here in the US. Just wondering if it's anything like that in Portugal?
Don't feel bad about model building after hours or weekends. Just treat it as if you got home from work.

Ken, unfortunately, no. Most of the companies around here have been letting people go instead.
Regarding modelling, it's something i  can only do when i'm relaxed cause i can't seem to focus on what i'm doing if there's something in the back of my head constantly reminding me of the situation... :banghead:
Still, lately i've been allowing myself to relax a bit more and be patient so, it's easier to get distracted while modelling. :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 15, 2020, 07:09:08 PM
Damn, dude!!! That sucks to lose a gig you love. You'll find some new ish soon, I'm sure of it!

It's been my second home for the past 8 years and i really like most of the staff, a couple of them i consider good friends so, it does hurt a bit to leave that place but the situation was getting worse and my motivation to drive 120km a day and spend 2 hours on the road just faded away in these past 6/7 months. It's a long and complicated story but it all came down to the fact that my boss's wife never really liked me because i didn't let her teach me how to do my job when she doesn't have a clue of what she's talking about when it comes to my work and responsibilities at the estate.
I've always been respectful and professional but i've always objected to ideas that i knew were wrong from the beginning. That's why they had me, a person with 20 years of experience on job... She'd been trying to make my life miserable from day one but i never gave her the chance and my boss saw my work and didn't let her get in the way but lately, it became obvious that she finally won the battle and my boss gave in to her will, making it impossible for me to sacrifice myself for the company any longer.
I gave them so many hours of my life, of which i've never asked for a cent, i've risked my life more than i should've just to save the company the expense of having to hire cranes or pay other companies with a team of 5/6 people to do what i could do only taking a few days longer to do it... like the tree felling jobs, for example. So, i spoke to my boss and we reached an agreement, he gave me a fair compensation and we went our separate ways. That's enough, it's in the past now, forward is the way. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on November 15, 2020, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 15, 2020, 03:57:30 PM

These are truly sad news, but I hope you'll find a new way forward. After all - it's us humans that drive the demand and since we're still here, some demand should as well. Chin up, and good luck!

You're 100% correct, gotta stay strong and positive, can't do it any other way. :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2020, 01:13:47 AM
Bugger.

But, view it as an opportunity (not easy I know, but it helps).  Don't limit yourself to what you know, go for anything you think interesting.  Even if you think it's beyond you, if you can get them to interview you then even if it's a no it's still good experience at being interviewed which is invaluable (I suck at interviews and need all the practice I can get).
And if you get someone to see you and they say no, get back in touch with them and ask them exactly why so you can address those reasons and improve.
Hit up everyone you know to see if they have work or know of any.
Don't be too proud to take government handouts - you paid taxes in, you deserve to get it back  if its going.
And think about training/qualifications.  Anything you could do to improve your hireability?  After I lost my job I got the qualifications for the job I had been doing.  They were paid for through a government loan scheme which doesn't require payback until I earn over a set annual salary and most of the coursework was covered by "recognition of prior learning" meaning that rather than write everything out I just had to chat with a tutor on the phone and demonstrate to him I knew the subject of the unit and had practical experience of it through work.

And finally, we are here if you need to talk.

You're totally right, mate. It is a new chapter in my life so i might as well take the chance to try to improve it. It's a bad time to be looking for a job but i have to do it. The situation isn't very promising, most of the businesses here in Portugal are reduced to essential personnel and a lot aren't even being able to remain open for trade...  Unfortunately, i don't know many people around where i live, i've only been living here for one year and haven't had the chance to make connections in the area. It's also a rural area so, there aren't half as many jobs as there are in my hometown further south.
Still, getting some new qualifications is something that's been on my mind because of the type of jobs being offered here in my area and some of them i didn't apply to because i lacked a certificate for something which i know is totally within my capabilities so, i will have to seriously consider it. As you say, i can look at this as an opportunity and take on new challenges, cause at 41, i'm still a pup so, the world's my oyster... :unsure:  ;D ;D
And i really appreciate the fact that i've found you guys and can always come here to get a good shot of positive energy. Can't thank you enough! :bow: :bow: :cheers:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 16, 2020, 03:54:56 AM
That doesn't sound too good DZ, and I'm with the other guys on here in suggesting that almost anything is better than sliding into the slough of despond.

Assuming you can get their attention, almost any interview can be a learning process, and to your advantage. I once had an interview with the HR Dept. of a company that I already knew wouldn't take me as I'd failed their rather stringent medical (I'm asthmatic....) but the interview itself was good.

Keep at it, and we're pushing you of course.  ;D

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 16, 2020, 05:57:31 AM
I can only reiterate what's been said above about interviews, it is a technique and like all techniques it can be learnt and then honed.

Hopefully things will improve for you quickly and as Zenrat has already said "we are here if you need to talk".

Chris

Indeed, interviews can be stressful moments but i've never been very scared of them. Maybe when i was younger but nowadays, i know my worth and capabilities. I see it much like speaking to a boss of a big company like i had for the past eight years, some people fear the man, i see him as a guy i'm working for and with. He paid me to look after his stuff and i did my part. We're all humans so, why fear talking to someone, specially when you have nothing to hide or be ashamed of?
Looking back, most of the interviews i had were very casual but at the wine estate, i was one of 29 candidates, had to do a "hands-on" test to show my skills and then had a few words with the field engineer who was in charge of the selection.
I can say that one went well as i've spent the last eight years there.  ;)

Quote from: Rheged on November 16, 2020, 07:20:07 AM
I've been made redundant (twice) and although it's very disheartening when it happens, you have the entire Whiffworld community supporting you.    If you don't object, Madame R will add you to the list of people on her prayer list at the Cathedral tomorrow evening.  It won't do any harm and might possibly help.    The very best of luck in your searches.

I'm not a man of religions but i won't object, i thank you and Madame R. Stay safe and sound, my friends.  :thumbsup:

Again, i  thank you all for your words, brothers! They mean a lot and i feel very lucky to have you guys. I'll keep my head above water and stay strong for my missus and family... and that includes you guys!
Now i gotta go walk Bob and the get the Huey masked for paint. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

TheChronicOne

Sheesh.  Some of that sounds mighty familiar. Mad respect for you for dealing with such a nuisance for so lone professionally. I would have lost composure and told her off and got myself fired way too soon. Character flaw perhaps? So I admire professionalism in others where I know I likely would not be!   

You have the right idea. And check this out.... that commute. Holy crap.... yeah, we don't need that. It might take awhile but the next thing you find could wind up being the best thing ever. 3-4 times in the past I lost or walked away from a job and thought, "Well, this sucks, I really wish that didn't happen" only to find myself a couple years later remarking, "DAMN I'm glad I got fired from that last place!!!!!!"   ;D    The last time it happened it was very miserable for awhile and coincided with the same time my father died so it was rough but eventually lead to me going full-time running my own small business and now I'm 5 years in and it's a succesful established business now and I'm pretty happy because I don't have to deal with any greedy or moronic bosses, drunken lazy idiot coworkers, etc. Set my own hours, etc. So..........  being fired from one of what I thought was a favorite job (worked on a golf course, it was pretty great) lead to an even better situation. I'M WILLING TO BET...... the same happens for you. You'll find a new gig and it'll wind up being better and then the universe will be proper again.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 16, 2020, 10:36:34 AM
Sheesh.  Some of that sounds mighty familiar. Mad respect for you for dealing with such a nuisance for so lone professionally. I would have lost composure and told her off and got myself fired way too soon. Character flaw perhaps? So I admire professionalism in others where I know I likely would not be!   

You have the right idea. And check this out.... that commute. Holy crap.... yeah, we don't need that. It might take awhile but the next thing you find could wind up being the best thing ever. 3-4 times in the past I lost or walked away from a job and thought, "Well, this sucks, I really wish that didn't happen" only to find myself a couple years later remarking, "DAMN I'm glad I got fired from that last place!!!!!!"   ;D    The last time it happened it was very miserable for awhile and coincided with the same time my father died so it was rough but eventually lead to me going full-time running my own small business and now I'm 5 years in and it's a succesful established business now and I'm pretty happy because I don't have to deal with any greedy or moronic bosses, drunken lazy idiot coworkers, etc. Set my own hours, etc. So..........  being fired from one of what I thought was a favorite job (worked on a golf course, it was pretty great) lead to an even better situation. I'M WILLING TO BET...... the same happens for you. You'll find a new gig and it'll wind up being better and then the universe will be proper again.

I admit that sometimes i felt like screaming at her but i never lost composure, she's the boss's wife, that would get me fired straight away, but i did feel like it once or twice... ;D She was never disrespectful, but she did play dirty a couple of times, trying to get me into trouble. She would have her "private slave" (the guy that does a bit of everything at her house) plant stuff and put in new plants in the gardens during weekends without my knowledge and then expected that i wouldn't notice them so they'd dry up and them i was at fault... stuff like this made me laugh but it also made mad cause it's more to do every week. Imagine stuff like this during eight years...  :banghead:

I'm glad to know and happy for you that things turned out like they did, brother. Can't be crap all the time, right?  :thumbsup:
I'm hopeful but i can't rest on hope, i've been waiting for a couple of e-mails and this week is the deadline, if they don't show up, i have to employ a different strategy and that's been worked out so, it's just the waiting game for a few days... :rolleyes: