F-15CSE - Finished

Started by DogfighterZen, July 04, 2015, 08:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamondback

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 23, 2015, 06:15:49 PM
Thanks! Please get yours on the go again, i've recently found more love in me for the Eagle so i'm in need of whiffed up F-15s! ;D  :thumbsup:
Sad bit about the break in though, hope it wasn't to much of a set back.
Nuisance, but before it went everything of value had already been moved or stolen. Mobile homes suck for trying to keep locked-down, especially when you live in Meth-head City. :(

QuoteI do have to say, looking at that SA and the load out is indeed the largest i've seen on any A2A mission loaded jet but i think i will follow a stealthier/sleeker approach. But you did get me thinking of the type of load out it will carry!  :thumbsup:
I'm wondering why the F-15C's normal fuselage missile mounts have to disappear when using the CFTs...
They don't, I think C's can nestle a missile in between, at least the upper fins. I've seen photos of A's or C's, unsure which, with CFT's on and Sparrows racked.

QuoteIf the CFTs were redesigned to carry missiles inside, why not get rid of the four CFT mounted pylons and create semi-recessed, Phantom-like missile mounts on the same spots were they normally go when carried with no CFTs?
If you're building pure-A2A "Not A Pound For Air To Ground" the only obstacle should be loss of internal volume. I'd think a properly built CWB should be good for four internal missiles per side, stacked 2 front/2 rear, possibly plus single AIM-9Xs at extreme ends.

I'll note my thoughts in red next to yours:
QuoteI've found the original kit pylons for stations 1/9, so i'm thinking of something like this:
Stations 1/9 - Double Lau-128A = 4 aim-9x DRA is a LAU-115 family, I suggest 115C/A which is jettisonable, with a LAU-12_-series slapped on either side
Stations 2/8 - ?/Single Lau-128A = 2 aim-9x/2 aim-120C/D delete inboard ADU-552+LAU-128? Rack LAU-115C on main store with LAU-128 on outboard side
Stations 3/4 & 6/7 - Fuselage semi-recessed ejector hard points = 4 aim-120C/D or Meteor
Stations 8/9 & 10/11 - CFT weapons bay-door launchers = 4 aim-120C/D
Station 5 - Centerline drop tank/Tiger Eye IRST possibly Hornet fuel-plus-IRST pod

The question mark on stations 2/8 is because i'm not sure if i'm going to use anything there, if i do put the pylon there, it will have only the outer missile rail because of the operating space for the weapons bay door. I believe that it would work like that, i think the rail is launcher instead of ejector so the missile just goes straight ahead. But i'm not really having weapons bays open on this build... ;D well, maybe just the door's panel lines scribed.
As this is a C variant, i'm keeping it an A2A dedicated variant. The Tiger Eye? Don't know, maybe one on a pod on the centerline pylon?
Possible, slap on a C/L droptank, chop the tip off and slap a hemisphere on in its place. Might do a search on Super Hornet fuel-tank IRSTs... the SH IRST isn't Tiger Eye-level, but it's similar concept. I would also consider fitting some of your LAU-128s with ALE-58 BOL countermeasure dispensers, if you can find a part (my problem in 1/48, the Dr Pepper Resin one is unavailable with no alternative) and maybe ALE-50 towed-decoy dispensers. When I was discussing my build on another forum, someone suggested slapping some F-4-style ALE-40 chaff dispensers onto the pylon sides, which would cost you some stealth but give you additional countermeasures.

QuoteBut the IRST on the nose and the Forward Looking sensors on the sides of the cockpit will be an addition for sure... :thumbsup:
Nose IRST is news to me? Those side sensors are a problem, I've only seen them in a limited-run Hasegawa F-15SG. (One of my big nuisances in 1/48.)

QuoteAnd just now looking back at it, i believe the double aim-120 bottom pylon on stations 2/8 could be fitted and the weapons bay door would function freely... that way it wouldn't loose 4 missiles... makes it 18 Boom Brooms...  ;D :tornado:
:cheers:
Unsure about that... maybe mock it up with tape and measure it out.

Historical note on the LAU-115: They were first built as the Hornet's Sparrow adapter, then with the Sparrow obsolete and retired the Navy repurposed them to carry AMRAAM/Sidewinder dual-purpose rails. 115/A, 115A/A and 115B/A are all locked to the station and can only be removed on the ground, 115C/A adds a small slab on top and can be dumped if necessary without having to lose the whole pylon.

My two F-15EJ-Kais (backstory, these are research ships operated by a private R&D contractor but paid for by the Japanese government so they chose the designator) in a pure "Skysweeper" loadout, would have:
Wingtip: Python 5 or AIM-120C = 2
STN1AB/9AB (flanks of LAU-115C on 1/9): Python 5 or AIM-120C, ALE-50 decoy on 1A/9B, ALE-58 CMD on 1B/9A = 4 -> 6
STN1/9C (centerline LAU-128 rigged on bottom of LAU-115C): Python 5 or AIM-120C, another ALE-58 = 2 -> 8
STN2AB/8AB: as 9AB incl countermeasures/decoys = 4 -> 12
STN2 Main/8 Main: Another tri-rail LAU-115C, as on 1/9 = 6 -> 18
STN3/4/6/7 or RCT1/RCT3/LCT1/LCT3: Four more LAU-115C triples with AMRAAMs = 12 -> 30 (possibly another half-dozen if shorter missiles allow full use of RCT1/2/3 and LCT1/2/3)
STN5AB new shoulder-rails: As 2AB/8AB if gear allows = 2 -> 32
5 Main, if ground clearance allows, could add another double or triple... but I suggest at least ONE fuel tank since packing all this weaponry will burn a lotta gas

In short, one EJ-Kai could be a one-volley squadron-killer if it gets the drop on 'em. And with an AESA tuned to provide active radar phase-cancellation when not in Search/Track, that gets a lot more likely... Getting off the ground might be fun, but with the out-canted SE tailplanes providing extra lift along with those Hornet-tailplane canards scabbed on and about 80,000-plus # of thrust on tap, should be quite doable.

Other 2/3/4/5/6/7/8 options include an air-launched SM-6 variant for ABM/ASAT/"heavy hurt" needs, possibly an ejector variant of Phoenix or "SM-6AL" on stub pylons.

tc2324

When I saw this thread title I did find myself asking why not an O`level F-15..??

But then realised most on here would not get it.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing it progress. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tc2324 on August 24, 2015, 02:00:58 AM
When I saw this thread title I did find myself asking why not an O`level F-15..??

Or even at 'A Level' F-15?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Or even RSA ? Not that I took any  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 24, 2015, 04:02:28 AM

Or even at 'A Level' F-15?  ;D

;D A level would be nice, but being my build, it probably won't even get me past the IGCSE exams... :banghead: ;D

@ DiamondBack: Thank you very much for your suggestions! I am just astonished at the amount of weapons you've thought of for your Eagles...
That's what i call missile trucks!! ;D Might steal one or two ideas if you don't mind. :thumbsup:

About the aim-120 being carried between the CFTs and fuselage, i've looked it up a million times and couldn't find a single pic with that, only carried on the pylons on the CFTs. But i'm going to fit them there anyway, just a bit of easy carving/sanding to make them fit.

The pic you've posted shows the IRST in front of the canopy. Googling the pic brought me to this site: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-a-fully-armed-f-15sa-the-most-advanced-product-1715732294
Scroll down to where it shows the pic and a2a load, the text below mentions it but does not specify which system is used.
I've also read somewhere, that the TigerEye is also good for A2A missions so i'll probably try to find another location for the sensor.

The CFTs would probably be a bit fatter to be able to hold all 4 120s and 1 9x but i guess it could be done. The loss of internal fuel volume would be the only major set back in this configuration. I guess that, if on extended CAP, the C/L tank would be the choice.
This one will have the weapon carrying CFTs anyway, from what i've seen in pics, the bay door would have enough clearance from the lower (B stations?) missiles. It would only loose the inboard upper pylon/missile this way.
I do have to look up those sensors, decoys and chaff dispensers to see if they're easy to scratchbuild. Shouldn't be too hard i think.
I have been thinking of buying one of the Hasegawa 1/72 F-15SG kits, those have the FL sensors below the rear cockpit and it's a beautiful kit of a plane still missing from my stash... :wacko:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 24, 2015, 06:25:07 AM

Or even RSA ? Not that I took any  :rolleyes:

You mean this? ;D :drink: http://www.onlinersa.com.au/
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Some great info/ ideas here guys. Now I want to go and buy and eagle kit !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

The best, as in most accurate, CFT's with the proper pylons mounted on them that I have found so far in 1/72 is the Isracast F-15I conversion set if that's any help to anyone.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Gondor on August 24, 2015, 07:57:47 AM
The best, as in most accurate, CFT's with the proper pylons mounted on them that I have found so far in 1/72 is the Isracast F-15I conversion set if that's any help to anyone.

Gondor

Well, that's a really nice set, but i've just ordered the limited edition Hasegawa F-15SG... ;D I don't have any other F-15 in the stash so the twin seat will do just fine, maybe in time i'll buy the C or J kit and add one of those sets... or not, i would also like to see the mods i'm doing on this one, done on an Eagle with no CFTs, i just like slimmer birds... :wacko:
If anyone is thinking of starting one, be my guest, i'd love to see it done! :thumbsup:
Speaking of mods, i've seen a few examples of F-15s with wingtip lanchers, mostly on here, and a few while googling... Now i'm thinking of either winders or amraams on this one... I have the launchers so i'll just tape them on to see if i like it...

Diamondback

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 24, 2015, 06:31:31 AM@ DiamondBack: Thank you very much for your suggestions! I am just astonished at the amount of weapons you've thought of for your Eagles...
That's what i call missile trucks!! ;D Might steal one or two ideas if you don't mind. :thumbsup:
Go right ahead, that's why I posted it! It's just as scary in A2G, especially since internal datalinks rather than pod-carry allows another useful station when packing two AGM-130s or Have Naps--not to mention an "SDB Spam" option... kind of an A2G version of the A2A "Macross Missile Massacre" above.

QuoteThe pic you've posted shows the IRST in front of the canopy. Googling the pic brought me to this site: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-a-fully-armed-f-15sa-the-most-advanced-product-1715732294
Scroll down to where it shows the pic and a2a load, the text below mentions it but does not specify which system is used.
I've also read somewhere, that the TigerEye is also good for A2A missions so i'll probably try to find another location for the sensor.
A2A is what Tiger Eye is built for, they rack Sniper-XR for A2G normally on TE-equipped birds. (Sniper-XR is also pretty good in A2A, which is why I chose Israeli Pythons for their dual-mode IR/optical guidance--if you make the mistake of taking a shot at these birds, you don't even get the courtesy of enough warning to eject.)

QuoteThe CFTs would probably be a bit fatter to be able to hold all 4 120s and 1 9x but i guess it could be done. The loss of internal fuel volume would be the only major set back in this configuration. I guess that, if on extended CAP, the C/L tank would be the choice.
Maybe a standard-profile CWB would be good for 2 AMRAAM and 4 Sidewinder-class. I once saw a CWB concept back when the Eagle's  FAST-pack suite was being developed  that woulda been a one-bay Macross Missile Massacre, but I can't  remember where.

QuoteThis one will have the weapon carrying CFTs anyway, from what i've seen in pics, the bay door would have enough clearance from the lower (B stations?) missiles. It would only loose the inboard upper pylon/missile this way.
I do have to look up those sensors, decoys and chaff dispensers to see if they're easy to scratchbuild. Shouldn't be too hard i think.
ALE-50 you might be able to adapt from a Viper--it replaces the outboard pylon with a LAU-129 (similar to 128) rail below.

QuoteI have been thinking of buying one of the Hasegawa 1/72 F-15SG kits, those have the FL sensors below the rear cockpit and it's a beautiful kit of a plane still missing from my stash... :wacko:
If I were working in 1/72, I'd be starting with the Hase SG, probably--big reason for 1/48 is I can handle the math and fab on custom parts easier, and the "Super Pave Low" these things are conceived as being able to air-launch from was started in this scale first. ("Air-launch" being "have fighter sling-loaded, get up to 20K', start engines and emergency-release sling".)

Also worth noting: LAU-12_-series are dual use, carrying both AMRAAM and Sidewinder mounts. They might be IRIS-T compatible, but I know that Pythons would take some modification--IDF birds have a 128 on one shoulder each on 2/8, with a LAU-7 (old Sidewinder rail) for Pythons on the other shoulder.

DogfighterZen

Well, after that thought, i just couldn't wait... Can't help it, i just love to see wingtip mounted missiles on almost any jet... :wub:

I'm afraid there's no turning back now... :wacko:

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

DogfighterZen

Diamondback

Is that primer or final color? Either way it looks good--the original plan for one of mine (the one that was stolen) was a metallic black base-finish with purple and silver stripes, the other metallic-blue with red-and-white.

Given that these two aircraft are AI-controlled, I think you can guess what any '80s kid would name and paint a pair of F-15s with Attitude Problems as... LOL

Captain Canada

That is looking good. Eagles are simply awesome aeroplanes. I'd rather see the tip missiles slightly in and under tho, would just make more sense to me. But then again, there prob is no reason why they couldn't be right at the tip ?

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?