Hawker Siddeley P.1121

Started by Gondor, July 06, 2015, 04:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Ouch! That is a pain... But don't give up on it, it's looking good so far! :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Just got the PSR for the cockpit to do and a few little odds and ends to catch the odd little hole so the PSR should be finished today!!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Not exactly the best pictures I have ever taken, of this build or ever.....

and from the other side....

Undercarriage is not 100% out of the box. The main legs are from the box while the nose leg is from a 1/48 Hunter with extra plastic tube around it and a wheel from a Revell 1/72 Hunter while the main wheels are from a resin replacement set for the F-105.
I am thinking that I may have to put two wheels together to provide the detail for both sides of the nose wheel as there is only one side with detail, the other side is plain. More work  :banghead:
The cockpit is ready for the canopy to be glued in place so that will be done later today along with placing of the smaller main undercarriage bay doors

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Wish that there had been a second canopy supplied with the kit. I may have made a mess of it, not sure yet as it may be salvageable.

Gondor

DogfighterZen

Oh man...  :banghead: Please find a solution, this is looking so good...

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Hope the canopy issue is solvable, coming on well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Looks great up on her feet ! Such a lovely an shapely machine ! Indeed hope the canopy is salvageable !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

I think I have solved the problem with the canopy. Its the normal problem with this kit, it fits where it touches and it hardly touches in places. As with some of the other parts, the edges should be treated as a guide and not as if they are instructions handed down from on high carved in stone!

As with a lot of this build, filler is the answer although I like Jamie Hyneman's answer "C4" better at times especially with this build  :-\

Work has also progressed with the nose undercarriage. As posted earlier she has been on her legs but I had no detailed pictures of the adjustments I had made to the 1/48 Hunter nose leg.

I did decide to make modifications to the nose wheel which is now made out of two 1/72 Revell Hunter main wheels.

Each wheel had its smooth side sanded off and then the smooth surfaces have been stuck together so that there is detail on both sides of the wheel. They match drawings quite well too.

Unfortunately it's slow but steady progress, I'm starting to wonder what time on Friday morning I finish the build  :blink:

Gondor

JayBee

Most likely about 2000 Friday evening.  :rolleyes:

See you on Saturday Alistair.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on October 12, 2015, 07:34:45 AM
Most likely about 2000 Friday evening.  :rolleyes:

See you on Saturday Alastair.

Jim

Unfortunately on Friday I am helping my girlfriend do shopping for her mum so that bites into the time I have to the extent that it virtually kills off Friday for any modelling unless it follows on immediately from Thursday night.

Gondor

Gondor

The cockpit canopy is looking not too bad, going to have to be careful when sanding the filler into submission at the rear of the cockpit as there is no option but to sand front to back although I will apply masking tape to minimise any damage. I did paint the canopy black prior to applying the filler. Nothing worse than looking into a cockpit and seeing the colour of the filler you have been using  :blink:

The hubs of all three wheels have been painted so The wheels should not hold me back. I am still hopeful that I can finish this, the fact it will have a gloss finish will be a BIG help as that saves me having to matt the finish once all the decals, of which there are not many, are on.

Gondor

DogfighterZen

Gondor

Done as much PSR as I can stand. It looks good, mostly but there are a few places that I could spend another day or two on trying to get better but as I don't have the time it will do.

LAG is on the undersides so the final painting has started!

Second coat tonight to give a nice good solid colour as I have decided not to use primer but I am using Acrylic paint so two coats a day or more is an option and will have to be done or it's not getting finished for Glasgow!

Gondor

Rick Lowe

That's what I like about Acrylics, is that you can put another layer on within an hour or so if you push it.

I just wish I had as much of a collection of them, as I do of the old Humbrols...

Cheers

Gondor

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 13, 2015, 12:03:09 PM
That's what I like about Acrylics, is that you can put another layer on within an hour or so if you push it.

I just wish I had as much of a collection of them, as I do of the old Humbrols...

Cheers

That's what is stopping me from switching exclusively to them, also, my normal build speed is somewhat glacial so using Enamels is not normally a problem.

Talking of which, the main airframe has had two coats of LAG so tomorrow morning I should be masking up for the first colour for the top which being Dark Sea Grey may only need one coat hopefully.

Undercarriage doors are on too but only one tailplane so far.

Gondor