Hawker Siddeley P.1121

Started by Gondor, July 06, 2015, 04:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

IIRC, I'd planned on replacing the nose gear on mine with a Harrier nosegear.  Similar time frame so it does fit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 14, 2015, 04:17:06 PM
IIRC, I'd planned on replacing the nose gear on mine with a Harrier nosegear.  Similar time frame so it does fit.

Thanks for the tip Lee, I will check that out.

Gondor

After checking I have found that the 1/72 scale Harrier nose wheel/leg is too small but that the 1/48 Hunter leg and wheel will probably do.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

overscan

Nice work on a difficult kit!

I have photos of the prototype's port undercarriage bay and main gear pintle, not sure if that will help.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Gondor

Quote from: overscan on August 15, 2015, 04:25:49 PM

Nice work on a difficult kit!

Thanks, but its not finished yet.....

I have photos of the prototype's port undercarriage bay and main gear pintle, not sure if that will help.

That would be most helpful, not for this build but for the next one  :mellow:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

kitnut617

I would be most interested in those to Overscan, I have the vacuform kit waiting to be built too.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Fettling, lots of fettling. That's what I have spent today has doing. Moving a hole for the wing spar, adding tabs of various kinds and double checking that everything will be in the right place.

Extra circular holes have been made for additional spars to help keep the wing at the right angle and on the fuselage

A backing plate was made to cover the existing hole and to act as support for the new hole

Looks good in this shot

And not so good here as I cut the hole too far back. Luckily the blanking plate was persuaded to move a little which helped the end result

Spars and other items like that are next then the bit I am not looking forward to, the sealing up of the tomb! Errr Fuselage not Tomb! Probably going to use an epoxy to glue the fuselage half to the in place resin parts then the plastic to plastic joints will be dealt with an area at a time so that I don't end up attempting to imitate an Octopus and having parts dry out of alignment because I was working on another part at the time the glue dried.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I'd stick a bit more lead in just aft of the cockpit, just to be on the safe side.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Lots of work.....going to be worth it though !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Still working away on this although its at a snails pace right now. Got to make sure that the fin is able to be located correctly after the fuselage is together and there is a couple of problems, no real surprise there  :rolleyes:, neither side of the fin is the same hight and the engraved rudder is wrong on one of the sides as well  :banghead: This is going to take a little bit of time to sort out but I want to make sure I have a system for fixing the fin in place before I stick the fuselage halfs together as it makes access to the inside of the fuselage much easier  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

So I have a solution! And it's not Earl Grey Hot! It's actually Tesco Scottish Blend and tea is more of a distillation than a solution. Regardless I digress.

The problem was to ensure that I could fit the fin to the fuselage with the minimal amount of fuss, remembering how well vac-forms fit together, once the fuselage half's were fitted together.

My result is to use some tabs just like along the rest of the fuselage but tabs that actually are angled so there is a vertical surface for the inside of the fin to glue onto. Lateral thinking but not literally lateral.  :blink:

The picture below shows the Starboard fuselage half with its tab made out of a right angled L shaped length of plastic with one side trimmed down to fit inside the fuselage half. I did have to remove a small section of fuselage to make sure that all of the vertical part could fit.

The Port fuselage half is shown below. This has an extra tab glued to the inside of the exhaust/former to provide rigidity. This was mounted central to the fuselage line as the fin is quite narrow at this point and it was far easier to fit to this half than the other.

This is the view with everything held together by just a couple of lengths of masking tape and friction. Note the difference between the fin half's.

The good

The bad

And the slightly squint, but that could be the camera angle  :-\

Still worried about sticking this thing together. Usually I can test fit things until I am blue in the face and its all good until I add glue then nothing fits at all. So please excuse my hesitation in progressing any further.

Gondor

Glenn Gilbertson

Have courage! I got a result out of the original Maintrak vacform some years ago:

Miliput works wonders!

tc2324

Keep at it, I think it`s going rather well.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Gondor

Quote from: tc2324 on August 21, 2015, 01:14:10 PM
Keep at it, I think it`s going rather well.  :thumbsup:

It's as much a guide for others that follow as anything else. Hint's and tips that I use while building the model which could or can be used for other models and the like.

Gondor

Gondor

Only one thing done today. I stuck the metal framework inside the rear fuselage which the tailplanes will be fitter to.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Yes for sure, she's looking good ! And we have seen how much work has gone into the innards, so we can only imagine how much will have to be done to the outside !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?