Hawker Siddeley P.1121

Started by Gondor, July 06, 2015, 04:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Thankyou for your kind words folks. The model is packed in the back of my car ready for it's first public appearance at the Glasgow show tomorrow when several of our members will be able to see it and pass comment on the result.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Another great looking bird!  :thumbsup: Also didn't know a thing about this one before your build, i see an F-16's distant cousin... ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 16, 2015, 01:12:33 PM

.......i see an F-16's distant cousin... ;D

The P.1121 was a lot bigger than an F-16, and about twice the weight, but I can see what you mean about the configuration.

Cracking job you made of that one Alastair, it has the definite 'look' of the 1121 for sure.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

The P.1121 is roughly the same size as an F-4, roughly 150% bigger than a 1/72 Hawker Hunter is why I am going to be using a 1/48 Hawker Hunter as the basis for a scratch build

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

You're going to build ANOTHER one?  :o

Why does the phrase 'glutton for punishment' come to mind?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 16, 2015, 04:25:38 PM
You're going to build ANOTHER one?  :o

After building this "thing" Kit I feel able to scratch build one and I will not have any time pressure as I have had with this build

Gondor

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on October 17, 2015, 12:26:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 16, 2015, 04:25:38 PM
You're going to build ANOTHER one?  :o

After building this "thing" Kit I feel able to scratch build one and I will not have any time pressure as I have had with this build

Gondor

I've had to really stop myself joining GB's for a while now, exactly for that reason.  I haven't been able to finish the last three GB's I joined in on and it was beginning to bug me.  I enjoy my kit-bashes more without the pressure of a time limit to get it done, gives me more time to think problems out better so that the finished product isn't rushed and more importantly, doesn't look rushed
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Well the build got a favourable response of "That Looks Nice" at the Glasgow show today and I remembered to take a couple of pictures that I should have taken on Thursday night

The comparable sizes of this and my F-4EM

It's now packed away with OGL travelling show so it will be at Telford to help with the promotion of the book Hawker P.1103 and P.1121 at its launch.

Gondor

Steel Penguin

I see what you mean when you say its a big plane, id pegged it mentally as around 2/3 - 3/4 of that.
but it does look the business next to the phantom
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

eatthis

that looks great  :bow:
how big is it compared to an f105?
what engine was in it? thats a HUGE single engine
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

PR19_Kit

The intended engine for the P.1121 was the dh Gyron, and it was a monster, rated at 20000 lbs dry. But it only ever flew in the test bed Short Sperrin, which had just one Gyron to start with, in the lower position of its port engine pod, but later on they added a second Gyron on the other side too.

I saw, and heard, the Gyron Sperrin at Farnborough in 1955 and it made a fly past on only the single Gyron.  :o

It was Seriously loud!

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Except the Gyron had serious surge problems when tested with a mockup of the intake.  Engine changed for an Olympus - no problems.  Likelihood of P.1121 getting Olympus much higher, especially when TSR2 is flying with the same engine.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 17, 2015, 01:03:21 PM
The intended engine for the P.1121 was the dh Gyron, and it was a monster, rated at 20000 lbs dry. But it only ever flew in the test bed Short Sperrin, which had just one Gyron to start with, in the lower position of its port engine pod, but later on they added a second Gyron on the other side too.

Interestingly though, the Olympus 301 was rated at 20,000lbs too   --- and the Vulcan B.2 had four of them ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike