Avro Lancaster Mk. VII Aeronavale

Started by b29r, July 08, 2015, 11:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b29r

Following the conclusion of WWII, several Allied nations including France were seeking to rebuild their armed forces.  During 1952/53, she began receiving a number of surplus Avro Lancaster bombers from Britain for use by the Aeronavale.  These aircraft equipped four Flotillas and were still in use into the mid-1960's.

The aircraft in this article was a late build Mk. VII and was flown by 14 Flotilla.  Initially used as a crew trainer, this bomber underwent a number of upgrades to make it capable for the maritime strike mission.  Requests to the US and Britain for strike weapons were largely denied, although the Bristol RB-1 was adopted.  In order to carry this weapon, the bomb bay was modified to Type 464 Provisioning standards by Avro at their Woodford facility.  Salvaged Heinkel 177 bomb attachment racks were also utilized.

Efforts were also make to increase the defensive capability of the Lancaster, in addition to improved radar and all weather capabilities.

This aircraft participated in Operation Musketeer, and was credited with damaging the Egyptian warship Domiat, leading to her capture by Israeli forces.

This is of course the old Revell Dambuster, with kit bashed Airfix nacelles, and borrowed VEB Tu-20 props.  The missile is the HS 293 from the old Airfix He-177, and armaments are various scrap box items.  This has been posted on a couple of other sites, and I thought I would give it a try here (first post) as well.   I hope to follow on with some additional whiffery in the near future, but I am one of those glacially paced styrene mutilators  :-\
I sure do like the concepts and builds on this site, congrats to you all!  <_<

Best regards,
Kem

The Rat

Well that's a heck of an introduction! Welcome aboard!  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hobbes

Very nice! Interesting concept, keeping an old aircraft in service for far longer than intended. Got me thinking about a Lanc with turboprops and Sea Eagles  ;D

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Thanks for posting it here. I like all the bits you've added.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

A fascinating idea!   welcome as a  citizen of Whiffworld.....you belong here!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Geoff

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice piece, those Tu-20 props find frequent and good use.  :thumbsup:

And welcome on board!

McColm

comrade harps

Welcome to the whiff-house.  :rolleyes:

Like those contra-props and it's a good use of that cut-bsck bomb bay.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

NARSES2

That's come out nicely  :thumbsup:

Nice introduction, welcome aboard
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

dwomby

Great concept - extended life of wartime aircraft.  Well done.

David

crudebuteffective

Very nice work  :bow: :thumbsup:

welcome to the mad house

CBE
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

TallEng

Great build  :thumbsup:
And a couple of interesting ideas as well!
It kind of reminds me of the Lancaster engine test bed which was fitted with
Armstrong-Siddley Python contra rotating turbo props ;)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks