Luftwaffe Blackburn Buccaneer, Carrier Graf Zeppelin, July 1968

Started by nönöbär, July 12, 2015, 12:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Blackburn Buccaneer

The Plane:

When the German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin was recommissioned after its major reconstruction in spring of 1960, a more capapble attack aircreaft was looked for.
Since then, the carrier only had licht attack aircraft, but now a heaver alternative was preferred. In late 1961 it was decided to introduce the British Blackburn Buccaneer. With its low-evel attack capabilites, two men crew and two jet engines, the plane opened much more operational optins than before.

As the Buccaneer was a much bigger plane then the F9F Panthers and Seahawks which operated on the ship before the reconstruction, only 10 of then could be carried simultaniously.
With the introduction of US build carrier aircraft in the early 1970s, the Buccaneer were put ashore with their main focus on the Baltic Sea.

The model shows a Blackburn Buccaneer on the Graf Zeppelin in July 1968 during the NATO exercise "Barcadi Feeling" in the Caribbean.   

The Model:

Its a 1/72 scale Matchbox kit, build OOB. As for most old Matchbox kits, its quite easy to build. Despite the box art, the kit contains no weapons at all and I did not find anything good in the spare parts box. Painted with Revell Aqua Colors in a typical German Marineflieger scheme. Decals are a Paddinghaus decal set for a Marineflieger F104.

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Hobbes

Excellent!
It's amazing how different the Matchbox kit looks, compared to the Airfix kit with its raised panel lines...

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Librarian

Very, very nice :wub:. Buccaneers....goosebumps. I signed up with the RAF with the specific intention of flying them (or C-130s) but decided (more specifically, they decided) I just couldn't stand all that "yes sir, no sir" cr+p. They were retired the year or so after I would have gone operational, so no loss there ;D.

Looks really good in those markings :thumbsup:.

Weaver

Nice one: I've always liked the idea of German Buccs. :thumbsup:

You can get aftermarket Kormorans: the Airfix hi-tech weapons set (OOP, but findable on ebay) has some.

Librarian: snap! There was a fair bit of disbelief when I decided as a teenager that I didn't want to go into the RAF or the FAA, but I'd realised I'd never put up with the "Yes Sir, No Sir" either...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

She looks really at home in those colours, well done  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I must admit I never considered the services but have often wondered how my 18 year old personality would have dealt with National Service ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Super job there, including the carrier deck. Where did that come from please? I love the JBDs and the little deck hatch.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Great finish.......i was also dissapointed, years ago, when i bought the kit on the strength of the box artwork.......to find none of the armament inside.......some ASM's on it would finish it off......love it......Kit, i have a deck peice and it looks the same, mine was verlinden......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

nönöbär

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 12, 2015, 01:07:09 PM
Super job there, including the carrier deck. Where did that come from please? I love the JBDs and the little deck hatch.  :thumbsup:

Thanks  ;D

The flight deck is an Italieri kit, see here: http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2163&idCategoria=5&idSottocategoria=29. Not really cheap (about 23€, with some luck, you get it for about 20€).
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. That is so clean it looks perfect. Nice work ! Love the carrier section as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

b29r

Great concept and build!  Your Bucc looks very much at home in that livery. . . love the deck unit also, very cool.

Best regards,
Kem