Boeing B-52K 'Stratofortress B.I', "ZA447/(AJ)G" of RAF 617 Squadron, 1999

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 19, 2015, 05:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

When I got up close to one at the Avalon Air Show earlier in the year I was surprised to find they were no-where near as large as I expected.

Excellent work Dizz.  Especially given the scale.  Far too small and fiddley for my eyes and fingers.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2015, 02:40:34 AM

When I got up close to one at the Avalon Air Show earlier in the year I was surprised to find they were no-where near as large as I expected.

But they're 'Giant nuclear bombers', it says so in the papers so it must be right...........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 19, 2015, 06:49:49 AM
demonstrates how slender the B-52 actually is, at least compared with a wide-body airliner. I just underestimated the room the outer engines take when the thing is on the ground, there's little clearance left....

Yes, perhaps a bit less pylon on the outers, she would be a real FOD sucker-upper.  But she looks great.

I think B-52's still look pretty big when I get up close to them, although I do agree the fuselage and bomb bay are smaller/skinnier than you first might think. Especially when you see the photos of the carpet bombing and you hear about the number of bombs the B-52 could carry especially after the "Big Belly" modifcations (which despite the name did not change the size of the bomb bay) you have an impression the bomb bay must be huge.  But I am biased from going under the B-36J at Dayton at an early age and several times since- now that is a bomb bay.  Lancasters, B-24's, B-36's, B-1's among others are more impressive in bomb-bay size than some other bombers, but I don't want to give anyone 'bay-envy'.....         
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I'd add the Nimrod to that list.

I think DH drew a nice shape on the bottom of the Comet 4 and just by co-incidence ended up with a MASSIVE weapons bay!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2015, 11:20:08 AM
I'd add the Nimrod to that list.

I think DH drew a nice shape on the bottom of the Comet 4 and just by co-incidence ended up with a MASSIVE weapons bay!

Agree, very impressive buisness end on the Nimrod. There is something to be said about a big bomb bay....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. Love the paint scheme and the way she looks overall. Does take some getting used to ( for me, anyway ) but once past that she looks really good !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2015, 08:01:47 AM

But they're 'Giant nuclear bombers', it says so in the papers so it must be right...........  ;)

Everything is relative - in itself, the B-52 is a big aircraft. But if you place a 747 next to it (had a 1:200 fuselage at hand... ;)) it's "small", especially the fuselage looks very narrow in direct comparison!

Had a similar perception case when I first "met" a Formula 1 race car face to face (oddly, as an exhibit/decoration item at a large management congress in Scotland, it was a Williams car). I was amazed how tiny such a vehicle is. TV pics do not do these things justice, they appear much bigger on the screen than in real life!

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 21, 2015, 03:19:59 AM
Everything is relative - in itself, the B-52 is a big aircraft. But if you place a 747 next to it (had a 1:200 fuselage at hand... ;)) it's "small", especially the fuselage looks very narrow in direct comparison!

I was basing my expectations on the only large aircraft I have experience of being up close and personal to - airliners - so I suspect I was subconsciously thinking the fuselage would be of similar size.  I did stick my head up into the bomb bay which seemed large to me but then again - no experience of anything else to make comparison with.

The small size of F1 cars is why Tamiya make their kits 1/20.  It means the models are about the size people used to 1/24 model cars think they should be.*

*I may have made this up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 21, 2015, 03:30:46 AM

The small size of F1 cars is why Tamiya make their kits 1/20.  It means the models are about the size people used to 1/24 model cars think they should be.*

*I may have made this up.

This is Tamiya we're talking about. They're following typical Japanese marketing practice in making some part of the product unique so you can ONLY buy others of the ilk from them! One reason why I never bought any of their F1 kits after the first one.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

b29r

Super build and backstory! Those big turbofans look right at home on that BUFF  ;)  I grew up within 10 miles of Boeing Wichita (Dad worked there) and McConnell AFB, so got to see LOTS of B-52s and other interesting types as the 23rd TFW was based there back in the day.  Occaisionally now I see B-52's high overhead refueling from KC-135s.  I appreciate the fine work you did, and thanks for sharing it.
Best regards,
Kem