Fisher P-75 versus Davis Manta

Started by KJ_Lesnick, July 25, 2015, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteYes
Just wanted to make sure we were on the same frequency: I'm curious if the rule would have been the same if the Spitfire had a nose-gear?  Sure this is a thought experiment, but the nose-gear would provide a safety margin?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

Just no.

The P-47's prop was far too big for the Spitfire. Period.

As for paddle blade props, there are swings and roundabouts. You gain in one area and lose in another.

The P-47 used padle blade props to improve climb rate, as it was dog slow. Not needed for the Spitfire, as it climbed quite well compared to its contemporaries.

The Mosquito B.XVi got paddle blade props to improve high altitude performance, I believe.

The Sea Mosquito used a 4 blade prop with "needle" blades to improve low altitude acceleration, in particular for carrier take-offs.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteJust no.

The P-47's prop was far too big for the Spitfire. Period.
Huh?  I was talking about ground-clearance like distance from the propeller to the ground.  I was talking about the P-47's prop to the landing-gear of the P-47.  I assume you meant the distance from propeller to ground was unacceptable for the spitfire.  NOT fitting a p-47 prop to theSpitfire
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

The Spitfire couldn't take a bigger prop, and if it had the ground clearance of the P-47 hen the prop would probably be smaller.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteThe Spitfire couldn't take a bigger prop, and if it had the ground clearance of the P-47 hen the prop would probably be smaller.
They had the same ground clearance?

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 30, 2016, 12:40:52 PM
wuzak

QuoteThe Spitfire couldn't take a bigger prop, and if it had the ground clearance of the P-47 hen the prop would probably be smaller.
They had the same ground clearance?

Not what I said.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteNot what I said.
What did you say then?

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 31, 2016, 05:38:13 AM
wuzak

QuoteNot what I said.
What did you say then?

That the Spitfire's ground clearance was marginal and that any increase in ground clearance would result in a smaller prop.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

What does that have to do with the Davis Manta?  I'm just trying to figure out ground clearance.

Regardless, do you have any diagrams of the Supermarine Spitfire V, VIII, IX that show the landing gear and the plane in a level position?

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 02, 2016, 06:25:11 PM
wuzak

What does that have to do with the Davis Manta?  I'm just trying to figure out ground clearance.

Regardless, do you have any diagrams of the Supermarine Spitfire V, VIII, IX that show the landing gear and the plane in a level position?

You started babbling about using a P-47D prop prior to WW2.

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 26, 2016, 09:06:16 PM
wuzak

Would the P-47D with paddleprop have been acceptable prior to WWII with a tail-dragger?

And no, I don't have any, but I'm sure there are plenty around.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

QuoteYou started babbling about using a P-47D prop prior to WW2.
If I recall, I asked if a specified ground clearance would be acceptable prior to WWII.

wuzak

I wasn't clear on what you were asking.

KJ_Lesnick

wuzak

I'm sorry for not being more clear

famvburg

Shouldn't "Fischer" in the subject be corrected to "Fisher" for search purposes?

KJ_Lesnick