Martin B-51G Panther “Tropic Moon III” Finished!!!

Started by trickyrich, July 28, 2015, 06:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Oh that is gorgeous. Love the Skyshark ? As well. I'd like to know more about that one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Seeing her in brown together with the red elipse on the toothbrush in shot made me think of a Japanese bird  :blink:  ;D

Looks good and the paintwork on the Skyshark is  :thumbsup: Did mine as RAN in simple grey over white
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

trickyrich

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 27, 2015, 07:32:50 AM
Oh that is gorgeous. Love the Skyshark ? As well. I'd like to know more about that one.

Thanks, the Skyshark was meant to be a quick little project that sort of got pushed to one side. It's a bit late to start a build thread, but basically she's done up as a RAAF close support aircraft around the Vietnam era. I didn't like the original cockpit, thought it was too small, so found a P-47 canopy which would suit quite nicely, plus a custom interior.

She's all decalled up since that photo, not too much left to go til she's done.

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 27, 2015, 07:59:31 AM
Seeing her in brown together with the red elipse on the toothbrush in shot made me think of a Japanese bird  :blink:  ;D

Looks good and the paintwork on the Skyshark is  :thumbsup: Did mine as RAN in simple grey over white

Ooo that does sound nice, I was inspired to build this one by another one I had seen done in USAF SEA colour scheme, though I think it may have been 1/48th??? Would love to build a big one!

NARSES2

Yup Skyshark is an interesting looking aircraft. I do like it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

The Panther's coming along nicely but SEA looks goooooood on the Skyshark!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Thanks for the update on the Skyshark. RAAF sounds great and the new canopy is a nice touch. Looking forward to seeing that one and comparing it to an original.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

trickyrich

thanks all...

ok, well two months into this GB/project and I have to admit I've made good progress on this build even if I keep getting distracted on other builds (old and new projects..must start thread for them!!). I should get this one completed in time.

So straight back into painting the next colours in the scheme. For these lots of small sausages of blu-tack were made, because of it's scale I wanted the demarcation lines to be quite fine. Then liquid mask to protect...maybe not the best of ideas as it ruins the blu-tack and I can't use it again (am going through it at a fast rate!).

So before the Medium Green FS.34102, I quickly redid the panels line with black again just to help them stand out again. Next the green coat, this was done in a slightly uneven manner to help give it a slightly faded look.

After a few hours drying, am using enamels this time, more re-masking and masking fluid before a coat of Dark Green FS.34079.

I was so tempted to then just rip of the masks and see how it all looks, but the paint was a a bit soft so the whole things just sat outside for a few hours in the sun to dry.

Once dry the masks and blu-tack came off, not the easiest of jobs either, and there you have it! I am really happy with the finish, the paint was nice and thin and went on perfectly, just a couple of areas that need touching up. The inside section of the left hand engine pod is a bit rough so I'll re-mash and touch up that one. But boy she looks great!

...and yes some photo bombing by the SkyShark for those interested, she's not far off from being completed as well, so photos will be up soon-ish!

The Tan has settled down really nicely since it first went on, am hoping the greens will as well.

Next will be the undersurfaces, these will be black. Because it's a big area there is a possibility it will look too black, so I'm going to try something I have been reading about. I will use NATO Black for this area, it's really a very dark grey, but it allows you to use black for shading so as to give the finish more depth....well that's what I'm told. So we'll just have to see, plus it's an acrylic so it'll go on quite and dry quick.....and probably come off quick too!!!

I should have the painting done today and maybe a clear gloss coat as well.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Is it ever ! Great job on this one. It sure is looking like somebody shrunk the 'real' thing with that excellent paint work ! I can understand your temptation to rip the masks off to see her...I was pretty much scrolling like a madman as soon as I saw the green on  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

trickyrich

thanks guy's, the paint job is turning out almost prefer, almost like using acrylics but a much tougher finish! I can't wait to get the final canopy masks off so I can get a good look at the whole "look" of the beast!.

Well lots more progress and one minor stuff up, forgot to re-mask the canopy when I gloss coated the beast!! Least the canopy is vacfrom plastic, nothing seems to stick to the clear acetate.

Well as said lots of progress, the under side is painted and completed. I had intended to use NATO Black but forgot this was in a rattle can and near empty. But luckily a bottle of acrylic Rubber Black (Tamiya) was found instead, which worked out even better. NATO Black has a very slight green tint to it (well I think so) while the Rubber Black a slight Grey tint to it. But there is a subtle difference when compared to plain black, it's had to see with the gloss coat as it is more noticeable when matt. The coat went of perfectly, being acrylic, dried very quickly. Next nose and tail radome's were painted black as well as well as random spots of the undersurface to help brake up the evenness.

Next up a couple of white panels then the whole left to dry completely. It needed to have a clear coat on as soon as possible as the undersurfaces marked so easily especially as the whole thing sat on the engine pods!

So this morning a coat of gloss acrylic clear...and of cause as I was in a bit of a hurry I forgot to remask the canopy!! The clear will/should come off quiet easily.

Next up the undercarriage, again I needed this fitted to help protect the paint finish. And of cause as with the rest of the model/build it didn't quite fit and was not straight! But surprisingly when finally fitted the beast actually sat fairly even, this was a worry for a while. The outrigger gear will be cut to length so that they sit correctly...plus they will be the final bits to ensure the beast sits evenly...lots of measuring will be involved there! The wheel rims were also given a wash and look really cool. I still have to make new main gear doors as the old ones will not fit...even on the un-modified undercarriage they are too small!

The Pave Gat platform is just tacked in to see how it all looks, I have all the painting to finish off on it yet.

Plus lots of weapons choices as well! I'll only have 4 wing stores stations as well as the drop tanks, which will be of the outside on quite deep pylons. One of the pylons will have the ALQ-87 ECM pod fitted and I'm tossing up whether to fit the larger Bullpup and a couple of LGB's/"slicks" or some other stores. I'm aiming for an early to mid 70's time period, Vietnam or some other SEA conflict.

Well the end of this project is coming up fast! I'll have the decals on this arvo ready for a mat coat in the morning. In the meantime I need to start making up all the aerials and antennas this beast will have, plus work on the pylons. Not a lot left to go!!

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2015, 08:56:09 AMIIRC the very high wing loading of the XB-51 was one of the points that went against it during the USAF's fly-off.
At the speeds it flew (high subsonic) was it really even needed to use a heavy wing-loading?  I know when you're supersonic it's an issue...

QuoteThe winning Canberra was the exact opposite of course with its massive wing area.
And it flew okay down low right?  Personally I like the A-6 more, but still.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

zenrat

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 04, 2015, 07:30:19 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2015, 08:56:09 AMIIRC the very high wing loading of the XB-51 was one of the points that went against it during the USAF's fly-off.
At the speeds it flew (high subsonic) was it really even needed to use a heavy wing-loading?  I know when you're supersonic it's an issue...

QuoteThe winning Canberra was the exact opposite of course with its massive wing area.
And it flew okay down low right?  Personally I like the A-6 more, but still.

:rolleyes:

Looking good Tricky.  I just hope that crap comes off the canopy as easy as you think it will.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..