Martin B-51G Panther “Tropic Moon III” Finished!!!

Started by trickyrich, July 28, 2015, 06:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 04, 2015, 07:30:19 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2015, 08:56:09 AM
IIRC the very high wing loading of the XB-51 was one of the points that went against it during the USAF's fly-off.

At the speeds it flew (high subsonic) was it really even needed to use a heavy wing-loading?  I know when you're supersonic it's an issue...

Yes, because Martin intended it to fly low and a high wing loading gives a much better ride to the crew down there. Ask a Buccaneer pilot.....

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 04, 2015, 07:30:19 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2015, 08:56:09 AM
The winning Canberra was the exact opposite of course with its massive wing area.

And it flew okay down low right?  Personally I like the A-6 more, but still.

Not that wonderfully, but its manouverability was so exceptional, because if the low wing loading, that the USAF preferred it over the XB-51.

Don't forget the A-6 was designed DECADES later, around the same time as the Buccaneer.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

trickyrich

Wing loading was a bit of a fad with the US designers I think during this period if you look at some of the designs that were proposed! A lot of the US designs did have a high wing loading while the UK/Europe designs went in the opposite direction in my opinion. But which was right? The F-104 shouldn't have been a strike fighter at all, but ended up being quite successful in this roll.

The Canberra and XB-51 were at either end of the spectrum for this fly-off, which was a shame and if they hadn't meet the results would have been quite different. I do think the XB-51 would have been quite a successful design with a bit more maturity and if it hadn't been up against an aircraft that had been almost a prefect design right from the start!. The Canberra was just one of those designs that comes up very so often that is almost perfect. I was lucky enough to see one of the last flights by 2 Sqn and their Canberra's, what a lovely and amazing aircraft to see in flight! One of these days I'll build one of the big wing RB-57's!

PR19_Kit

I was lucky enough to the see the VERY last flight by an RAF Canberra when No. 39 (1 PRU) Sqdn. flew their last three PR9s into civvie ownership at Kemble in 2006. XH131, which I always think of 'my Canberra' as I fitted a hydraulic sampling valve to it way back, made the last landing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That looks incredible ! I'd go with the bullpups. Iron bombs don't really suit the high tech look of this bird, and they will just disappear under there. The bullpups will stand out  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

trickyrich

Right as mentioned earlier it's all steam ahead with this this build now!

The decaling didn't go without trouble. I had to use a mix of old and new decals which all decided to give me issues! I probably could have added more but I wanted the look to be clean.

She finally had a coat of matt clear to protect her finish, and I did mask her canopy....just forgot at the time! Once removed she has the exact look I was after and look very much like Logan's original print!

New undercarriage doors had to be made, as the old ones were too small to start with.

The weapons were given a bath in oven cleaner ready for painting. The drop tanks pylons were made up to suit, with them and the tanks given a coat of Rubber Black. They're just tacked on for the photos. The weapon load out will be an ECM pod, a single Bullpup for high value targets, and a mix of Mk 82's and Mk 82 "Daisy Cutters" on a BDU, just the thing for late night visits on the "long and windy roads"!

She now looks so much the part, I just love her!!!

And for those who are wondering if I'm working on anything else....

The Arado is having all the extra bits fitted...

The SkyShark is getting closer to being completed.

...and this beasty has just entered the workshop.....after about 15 years! More to come on this one!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The Panther looks THE BUSINESS!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Not to mention the others, but what's the delta with the dorsal intake that you've just started on? It looks familiar somehow, maybe French?

Regards
Kit

trickyrich

It was on the cover of Bill Gunston's "Warplanes of the Future". Oh and I started that one probably close to 20 years ago...just got lost on the shelf of doom!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: trickyrich on October 06, 2015, 01:58:36 PM
It was on the cover of Bill Gunston's "Warplanes of the Future". Oh and I started that one probably close to 20 years ago...just got lost on the shelf of doom!

Oh yes, I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere, thanks. Looking forward to seeing how THAT develops.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

trickyrich

Well the time has finally come to call this one!

I had hoped to do a couple more updates before this one but frustration was getting the better of me in the end. Lot count of the bits I kept knocking off, including the new pitot probe that was last seen passing by my left shoulder to never be seen again! Plus my lovely acrylic Matt coat I use is actually really painful to use, the usual way I clean up my washes ends up turning the matt clear coat a cloudy white! Ok had my piece now on with it!

Well lots of antenna's and bits were added, most stolen from the new B-57G kit...including the now lost/eaten pitot probe!

The wing tip gear was finally fitted, new gear doors had to be mode for them as well.

The stores were finally completed as well, I did some homemade "daisy Cutters" which turned out quite nice. The pylons I intended to use turned out to be way too short once I re-profiled them for the wings! So new ones were made to match those used on the drop tanks, overall these look much better. The Pave Gat platform was finished off and fitted.

Finally just some touch-ups and she's done!I just so love the look of this aircraft and with all the mods I added she just looks "real"! It was not an easy build by any means and there are so many things I'd do different if I was building one again, I now have another unused nose! (Israeli B-51G??). I would so love to go large with this and build a 1/48th version, but unfortunately the donor model is a Collect-Aire beast and the latest one to show up on evilBay, well the seller wants $700USD for it!! Don't think I could hide that one from the wife!

Anyway this was such a joy to build and finish, so here she is!!! Please enjoy...plus I will write a story to go with it..........

Story.

After the initial failure in the "Night Intruder/Bomber" fly off against the EE Canberra in May 51, Martin wasn't put off. The XB-51 had a good turn of speed and general handling and performance was good, fuel economy though was not. So Martin set to the task of improving this notable by fitting a newer version of the General Electric J47 along with structure changes as well as the ability to fit wing mounted drop tanks. The variable incident wings were dropped as well to help save weight.

Initial plans to produce the EE Canberra in the US by Martin was scuttled by the then Labour government as relationships between the two countries soured again, and by Christmas of 51 the whole project was in doubt.

Martin had been in the meantime reviewing and implementing changes to the XB-51 program to make it a more suitable aircraft that met the Air Forces requirements. At the same time Martin had been courting other air forces as well with this new design. The Australian air force had shown early interest in the EE Canberra but a falling out by the Menzies government with the UK Labour Attlee government over trade and migration, and the forth-coming ANZUS treaty, this ended. The US was now the flavour of the moment and the RAAF was offered a deal on the B-51 they couldn't refuse.

The B-51B entered RAAF service in mid 1954 and quickly gained a reputation for its handling and precision bombing abilities, even though its range was still a bit of an issue.

By the start of the Vietnam war B-51D's had entered service with the RAAF, these were a major step forward in the B-51 program, with new avionics, improved engine performance and economy. But the two changes that were to have the most notable effects were the change a new cockpit layout and the fitting of the "Big Wing". The "Big Wing" was a requirement the RAAF had wanted right from the start, but there had been development issues, which had held this up until the D model. These new wings had additional stores points as well as larger fuel tanks fitted.

Two squadrons were sent to Vietnam, 2 & 6 Sqn, these aircraft operated along side a detachment of Skysharks, which were providing Close Air Support for the Australian Army at the time. As the war continued on the role of the B-51's started to change and an aircraft with improved all-weather/night-time abilities was required.

The result was B-51G, introduced in 1971, which had a variety of new sensors and equipment fitted. The USAF had only a modest interest in this model and only operated one squadron, the RAAF went on to modify all but a few of their B-51's to this new configuration (four were converted to RB-51D's). The modification program was call "Tropic Moon III" (there were two earlier programs using different aircraft). In addition to the new FLIR/LLLTV systems fitted in the new nose of these aircraft a new Pave Gat new gun system by Emerson was fitted to a few of these aircraft. These gun platforms fitted into the bomb bay of the B-51and featured a remotely controlled M61 20mm Gatling gun and optics system. In use along the Ho Chi Minh Trail, these Pave Gat fitted B-51G's proved to be devastating to ground forces and infrastructure.

These aircraft continued in serve with the RAAF in Australia and overseas until eventually replaced by the RF/F111's. They were finally retired in the early 80's after over 30 years of service.

tc2324

Very well done mate, an excellent bit of modelling.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Steel Penguin

cracking job there  :thumbsup:
oddly it manages to look both small and large in different pics, possibly due to me mind taking the narrow body and wing shape, and colours and trying to tell me its in fact a B52  :blink: from seeing them done similarly.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

Awesome.  I'm with Pengie, it looks big until you see the pic with the hand.

The pics with the Arado has me wondering what that would look like in SEA camo...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

One OUTSTANDING model there Trickyrich!  :thumbsup: :bow: (Note the green lettering matching the lighter green on your B-51...........  ;))

Not only is it a terrific idea, but it was flawlessly carried out and you showed us all how it was done too! The backstory is equally as good and the whole thing is well worth the Whiffie nomination.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Oh my word.....that is just incredible. Love the look, the stance, the ords....the paint, the markings...the whole 9 yards ! Great job.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?