1/72 Scale USN F4-L USS Hancock 1978

Started by Gondor, July 28, 2015, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I spent a short time looking at a Hasegawa instruction sheet before heading off to bed last night. Looks like I had forgotten to add an aerial to the underside of the nose  :banghead: Should only delay me for a short while, a bigger delay is attending a funeral today.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Looks good to me ! Always excited to click on this one and see what you've done.....these bits are some of my favourite part od model building, and it's also nice to see how other people go about it ! Thanks.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Spent a little time this morning prior to going to the funeral, only knew two people there as it was the funeral of my girlfriend's aunt by marriage, decided that I will paint all the fuel tanks white overall and that there will be a hard straight demarcation line between the White and Grey.

Gondor

Oh, and the two people that I know at the funeral, my girlfriend and myself  :blink:

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Captain Canada

Ya that's a little different eh ? I guess it's one way to get out of there quicker.

The tank plan sounds like a good one.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

The thing with the tanks is though, how do you being something completely all over in one colour while still holding it somewhere that does not get colour on it nor will be a problem not getting colour on it?

I have my answer, but just think about it for a while  :mellow:

Gondor

Captain Canada

I stick a toothpick into one of the mounting holes and hold it with that, and then I have holes drilled in plastic bins to stick the other end of the toothpick in after paining.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

But I have pins sticking out of the tank Captain.

Gondor

Captain Canada

True....and I had noticed that !  :banghead:

Use one of those miniature robot look alikes as above  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 01, 2015, 04:27:06 AM
True....and I had noticed that !  :banghead:

Use one of those miniature robot look alikes as above  :thumbsup:

I am actually going to use some modified clothes pegs, the wooden ones with the metal springs to hold the locating pins.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Cool ! So I was somewhat right  :thumbsup: I've always got a collection on hand and they are pretty cute, as years ago my young daughter numbered and lettered them. Kids !  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 31, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
I stick a toothpick into one of the mounting holes and hold it with that, and then I have holes drilled in plastic bins to stick the other end of the toothpick in after paining.

I have ended up using a variation of your idea captain but still using the clothes pegs. I have removed the remaining locating pins from the tanks and drilled out holes for new pins but have used PVA to hold tooth picks into the holes for now. Proper pegs will be put in place once the tanks are ready to be mounted under the aircraft.
The clothes pegs will now be used as stands while the tanks dry.

Gondor

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Oh the vagaries of using a spray can!  :banghead: Although I have very limited experience of using an airbrush I think I may have been able to get better coverage rather than areas that have better paint density than others. Good job it's the underside so should not be seen much. Need to buy paint for the upper surfaces as I have decided to use Acrylics so I know that I don't have FS16440 in stock. If I can't buy it on Friday then I should be able to get the paint at Scale Scotland on the Saturday.

Gondor

Gondor

Just performed some brush painting on top of some of the sprayed white where the paint had ended up rather thin. Still more to do but the Humbrol acrylics are doing the job, good coverage with a really decent depth of colour to it unlike most of the white enamels I normally use. Starting to think that Acrylics are going to be the way to go in future.

Gondor