1/72 Scale USN F4-L USS Hancock 1978

Started by Gondor, July 28, 2015, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Another good F-4 tip to remember....I've actually started a little book of notes to try and keep track of these things !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

It's better to always use the same manufacturer when swapping parts such as the ones I mentioned in my previous post. I have done exactly the same as KiwiZac by swapping the tail surfaces with another F-4 by the same manufacturer as the parts usually have the same locating tabs etc. Dead easy using Hasegawa F-4F kits and turning them into F-4E's especially as not everyone wants Anniversary colour schemes and there is only the difference in the decals and the tail surfaces between the F and E versions

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KiwiZac

Thanks G-man, I have a started F-4 a friend gave me so I'll see what the stabilators are on it and if they're worth using/suitable. Thanks also for the tip on how to de-slot the existing ones - I have to confess I don't actually know the difference, I haven't been able to see it in photos.

I just went into the "Grumblings" thread - I for one wouldn't be upset at an opportunity like that. Very cool.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

I think I might grab a few next week....13 bucks ain't half bad ! Too bad the Fuji's are all gone tho.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=phantom&submit=GO&cat_s=SAG
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 10, 2015, 06:00:37 PM
I think I might grab a few next week....13 bucks ain't half bad ! Too bad the Fuji's are all gone tho.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=phantom&submit=GO&cat_s=SAG

Those $13 Hasegawa Phantoms are their Old kits, rather basic and have a soft look about them in my eyes. Your best deal there is the RF4E/J which provides you with both an F-4E and an RF-4E with lots of spares and options to use with other kits and versions. Its always a question of what a person wants though. The Revell Phantom is a nice kit as well, although you go no where near as many spare parts and of course being the F version it has a non slatted tail so you would have to swap them to build a mid to late production E version or you will have to change the gun fairing to produce an early E version.

I must update my Phantom sheet to include this data  :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Captain Canada

Thanks for the tips ! I'm glad I checked in first.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

A question for all the F-4 fans out there. Were the Engine air intakes and wheel well bays Gloss White along with the White in the  Grey/White Colour scheme or as I getting mixed up as in which part is Gloss and which is not?

Gondor

Captain Canada

White for sure, but not sure how glossy. I've only ever seen operational ones from Germany up close in latter years and preserved examples, and they were white but dirtied up enough to not look too glossy.

:-\
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Decided to buy a spray tin of Appliance White from a national retailer which I have been trying to get on nice and evenly  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor

Decided that the White is effectively done for the underside. Still got the tanks and pylons to spray yet so the one spot that bothers me on the flaps can get a shot of white at the same time. So hopefully I will soon be painting the upper surfaces Grey  :thumbsup:

Gondor

KiwiZac

My Fujimi FG.1 was shipped last week so all of a sudden I feel a strange attraction toward any/all Spey Phantom build threads...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

They are gorgeous kits. I messed up years ago when Aviation World in Toronto had a clearance table full of them for a fiver...might as well buy just one !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Decided that the white was sufficiently white  :blink: rather than grey which is the colour of the plastic.

Removed the masking from the canopy and found this  :banghead:

Considering that I don't normally spray, in any form, having to mask is a bit of a dark art to me so on the whole I am quite pleased that is all there is. Now to remove the excess which is on the pilots canopy and nowhere else. Perhaps this is the time to mask the area around the paint, sand it away then use my polishing kit to restore clarity?

Gondor

Martin H

Acylic or enamal?

Liquid reamer/Airbrush cleaner would shift it if its acylic paint. Ive used it very spareingly in the past on some builds to remove bleed throu. I apply some to a q-tip/cotton bud and gently wipe the paint away. I would recomend experimenting on a scrap model first as I may have just been lucky so far not to cause any harm to clear parts that ive cleaned up
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Too bad about the overspray...but the white looks good.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?