1/72 Scale USN F4-L USS Hancock 1978

Started by Gondor, July 28, 2015, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Martin H on September 28, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Acylic or enamal?

Liquid reamer/Airbrush cleaner would shift it if its acylic paint. Ive used it very spareingly in the past on some builds to remove bleed throu. I apply some to a q-tip/cotton bud and gently wipe the paint away. I would recomend experimenting on a scrap model first as I may have just been lucky so far not to cause any harm to clear parts that ive cleaned up

Halfords Plastic Primer with a top cote of Halfords Appliance White. Think I will just sand it as that should be easy enough to do.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

The canopy is now clear again. It will get a coat of Klear in the near Future, (did you SEE what I did there?) then I will start on the Grey of the uppersurfaces.

Somehow lost a clamp from one of the weapons pylons  :-\ its going to bug the h£ll out of me unless I pinch one from elsewhere seeing that I have no spares  :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Captain Canada

Painted grey with gray and used klear to make the canopy look clear ?

Good luck finding you clamp too. You might have better luck if you turned on an extra lamp  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 30, 2015, 05:38:11 AM
Painted grey with gray and used klear to make the canopy look clear ?

Good luck finding you clamp too. You might have better luck if you turned on an extra lamp  :thumbsup:

Actually I do have two lamps on my bench. The main one I use has a Magnifying Glass in the middle and two Daylight bulbs either side of the glass. The second lamp is a simple angle poise lamp.

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 30, 2015, 06:04:23 AM

The main one I use has a Magnifying Glass in the middle and two Daylight bulbs either side of the glass.
Gondor

How effective do you find that ? Thinking of getting one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 30, 2015, 06:35:59 AM

The main one I use has a Magnifying Glass in the middle and two Daylight bulbs either side of the glass.
Gondor

I find it quite effective although working on the bench while looking through the magnifier takes a little getting used to. As I used to work on rather fine pitch IC's in the electronics industry while using similar devices I took to it like the proverbial duck to water. Only problem I have is trying to remember not to breath out through my nose when using the glass as it steams up  :blink:

Anyhow, The demarcation lines for the White/Grey have been put in place and the canopy given a coat of Klear so I start with the Grey tomorrow as I am out tonight and first thing tomorrow.

Gondor

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 30, 2015, 06:35:59 AM

Gondor

Good for doing spark plug wiring, fuel lines and throttle return springs on 1/25 engines but as Gondor says - takes some getting used to.  Mine has a circular flouro tube around the lens.

This build has inspired me to order a Hasegawa F4-EJ from HLJ.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Started painting the upper surfaces today. The progress so far is....

A bit rough and ready but it is only the first coat of Grey. Not much touching up to do to the canopy though even though I hand painted it. I am finding that the trick is to paint the same way that sign painters paint, long bristles and a well loaded brush then use simple steady strokes of one movement.

Gondor

NARSES2

Thanks for the info on the magnifier gents  :thumbsup: I currently use the ones you wear and view through my own specs

I think I'll leave it until the Sunday at Telford. I can then take a kit and have a longish chat with them on the stand whilst looking at the kit parts. Won't be as busy as Saturday plus the young lady was quite attractive last year  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Looking good Alastair. Love the shape of the Phantom and the way she looks in grey. I really need to build an RAF example for my shelf. And the painters trick ? Are you talking about for the canopy frame ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 01, 2015, 07:26:21 AM
Looking good Alastair. Love the shape of the Phantom and the way she looks in grey. I really need to build an RAF example for my shelf. And the painters trick ? Are you talking about for the canopy frame ?

I was. As it was a clean and clear surface once I got a good solid coat on first time I don't need to do anything other than tidy up the edges where I went over slightly.
Second coat of Grey is on and looking at applying a third this evening which should finish that colour off.

Gondor

Gondor

This was going so well until I started to put paint on it. I will persevere though as I am sure the decals will lift the aircraft from the doldrums that I am feeling about it.
The blending of all the parts had gone very well, the reattachment of the nose to the fuselage was almost invisible and I had also made a good job of blending in the Hasegawa parts onto the Fujimi airframe. The paint looks as if its been applied by a five year old with poster paints and a 1/4 inch brush  :banghead:

Hopefully it will look ok if sat at the back of the stand  :-\

Gondor

zenrat

Satin clear (hides a lot IME) and then weather the f##k out of it?

Chris - I suggest you don't just look at parts but take some tweezers and a paintbrush and simulate putting them together & painting them.  In particular see how you feel about focal changes as you move parts towards your eyes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

The model itself looks excellent, and like you say, once decalled and weathered it's going to be perfect ! Keep at 'er !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2015, 05:43:32 PM
Chris - I suggest you don't just look at parts but take some tweezers and a paintbrush and simulate putting them together & painting them.  In particular see how you feel about focal changes as you move parts towards your eyes.

Cheers mate, very sound suggestion