XB-51 (XA-45) Light Bomber

Started by NARSES2, August 02, 2015, 02:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I have had a look and there doesn't appear to be a thread for this beast so :

Having just dug this kit out of the stash I've been reading up what little I have on the beast and she was to be armed with 8 x 20mm cannon !  :blink: and a max bomb load of 10,500lb.

Now given she has a tandem undercarriage, where the heck was the bomb bay ? I can't see any possible panel lines on the kit for it and given the gap between the wheels is not that great a length I was wondering ? The fuselage is very deep however so I suppose it could just have been short but deep ?

Any help at all on possible armament options for this aircraft would be gratefully received.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Go here http://www.flickriver.com/photos/27862259@N02/tags/martin/ scroll right down to the bottom and there is a pic of what purports to be an XB-51 bomb bay.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

The XB-51 was the first aircraft to use a rotating bomb bay door.

The bomb load was mounted on the inside face of the bomb door, and when it rotated they were on the outside of course and could be dropped as normal. What they couldn't do is have multi-decks of bombs, like the B-25 and B-26 did. Martin later used the system on their version of the Canberra as well as their Seamaster flying boat, and Blackburn used it on the Bucc too.

That means there isn't a seam down the centre line of the aircraft and you can only see the end panel lines and the ones at the top, which makes it difficult to see its position.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2015, 03:37:05 AM
Go here http://www.flickriver.com/photos/27862259@N02/tags/martin/ scroll right down to the bottom and there is a pic of what purports to be an XB-51 bomb bay.

I tried that and couldn't find it.

There's 228 pics on that page  :o and quite a few of them are of the XB-51, but I couldn't see one that showed the bomb-bay. Could you clarify it please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I found it Kit, it is quite a way down

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 02, 2015, 04:42:20 AM
The XB-51 was the first aircraft to use a rotating bomb bay door.

The bomb load was mounted on the inside face of the bomb door, and when it rotated they were on the outside of course and could be dropped as normal. What they couldn't do is have multi-decks of bombs, like the B-25 and B-26 did. Martin later used the system on their version of the Canberra as well as their Seamaster flying boat, and Blackburn used it on the Bucc too.

That means there isn't a seam down the centre line of the aircraft and you can only see the end panel lines and the ones at the top, which makes it difficult to see its position.

These picture shows the outline of the bomb bay:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27862259@N02/6055992831/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27862259@N02/6055990891/

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

PR19_Kit

Execllent! It's even part rotated there too.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Logan Hartke

The XB-51 did have at least two more armament options (and one proposed). First of all, it had a bulged "B" bomb bay door option for the M53 4,000 lb bomb. Its true purpose was almost certainly to hold a Mk.5 or Mk.7 atomic bomb. So, the XB-51 was nuclear-capable.

The XB-51 could also mount weapons on the outside of the rotating bomb bay door. These included two 2,000 lb bombs or eight 5" HVAR rockets. Based on the configuration of these weapons, it appears that the door could still rotate with these weapons mounted on the outside. Theoretically, I don't see any reason why you couldn't also mount even more weapons on the outside of the door as long as you didn't rotate it.

Finally, there were the proposed wing pylons. People who've seen my profiles have told me that the variable incidence wing made that impossible. Unfortunately, nobody told those poor misguided engineers at Martin. Anyway, the two wing pylons were depicted carrying either external fuel tanks or large missiles.

Cheers,

Logan

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

I can't see any reason why pylons shouldn't have been fitted to a variable incidence wing, after all Chance Vought did it with the Crusader. Those critics must have been short of a brain cell or three..........

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Thank you gentlemen. Answers all my questions  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5buVZojGgI8

This video has some film of rotary bomb bay, not shot from the best of angles though :banghead:
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."