McDonnell F2H-5 Banshee swept wing

Started by The Big Gimper, August 02, 2015, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Folks:

I'll building this A/C as part of a group build on another forum.

Here are WIP photos of the proposed F2H-5 swept wing Banshee. The Banshee is the old 1/72 Airfix kit. I was going to sell it but it got a stay of execution. I could have used F-86 wings but to stay within the reality of the early navy birds, I went with a look and shape similar to the F9F Cougar.

The wings and horizontal stabs are from the Hasegawa Fuji T-1. Of all the wing surgery I have done to date, this has been so far the easiest cut and attach. The chord depth and thickness were really close. I got a nice blend of the leading edge.

I will use the T-1 landing gear which will provide more ground clearance.

Sorry for the shadows. It was 9 AM local.

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Rat

Looking good so far! And follows a logical progression.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

:o I'm following this with much interest, i actually bought an Airfix Banshee after i saw Pacopepe's swept wing F-80 and was thinking of using an F-86's wings and horizontal stabs to do something like this... :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Big Gimper

DFZ: Please take a look at my P-80 builds here.

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

As soon as I saw the pic I thought 'RF-84F Thunderflash'! That does look good.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

bobbo

I can't WAIT to see t his one finished.  The Banjo is arguably my favorite jet . . .

bobbo

sandiego89

Great idea!  Hopefully a bit stronger than the early Banjo wings- didn't a few of them decide they had enough and departed the aircraft?   :o
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Excellent idea - and it looks very good! Already an idea for the operator? Maybe a Canadian development...?

Only thing I wonder is if it would make sense to adjust the sweep of the air intake to the wings' leading edge, similar to the Cougar vs. Panther?

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 03, 2015, 03:08:38 AM
Excellent idea - and it looks very good! Already an idea for the operator? Maybe a Canadian development...?

Only thing I wonder is if it would make sense to adjust the sweep of the air intake to the wings' leading edge, similar to the Cougar vs. Panther?

Good idea but I'm too lazy to change it now. Maybe for my F2H-6.  :rolleyes:

However please see my dark side with this build.

Lots of stuff

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Big Gimper on August 04, 2015, 06:53:35 AM
However please see my dark side with this build.

THIS is seriously cool - and it even looks sexy!  :wub:

Captain Canada

I think it looks just like a Panther ! lovely none the less and a great build /idea !

:cheers:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Big Gimper

Last set of photos before I finish it off. Hopefully tonight. More decals, drop tanks and a coat of future.

Lots of stuff

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Glenn Gilbertson

Great model! It looks so much better than a Cougar. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

OK I take it back....now it looks nothing like a Panther ! Great job on this one. I really like the look of this. The wing fits really well with the shape of the fuselage...so much so that now I want to go dig out a Banshee !

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?