P-80 Derivatives

Started by The Big Gimper, August 02, 2015, 10:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Here are two P-80 derivatives. Inspiration was from ysi_maniac's sketches.

Here is my build: The P-80G in Spanish service, 1968. Guns removed and updated to carry AIM-4Ds. ISTR installed under the nose.

Here is the inspiration:

And here is my interpretation:

Bill of materials are:

A. Airfix P-80C fuselage and landing gear.
B. Revell G.91R wing and complete tail
C. Drop tanks from a Tamiya 1/100 A-6A
D. ISTR from Monogram F-4C/D
E. F-104 Pitot tube
F. Xtradecal T-33 Foreign operators
G. AIM-4Ds from the Hasegawa Air Weapons III kit

I sawed off the tail and added the G.91 tail at the turbine warning stripe. Less PSR this time to blend in the G.91 wing but I needed to remove about 5mm on the inboard side.  Base paint is Tamiya rattle can TS-30 silver with hand painted trim.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Big Gimper

Here is my second build.

I'm calling it a P-80F (E was already taken) as flown by the RNoAF.

Bill of materials are:

A. Airfix P-80C fuselage and landing gear.
B. Fuji T-1 wing and tail
C. Tip tanks from a 1/128 Constellation
D. Xtradecal T-33 Foreign operators
E. 1000 LB bombs from the spares box

What I did rounded off the vertical and horiz stabilizers, moved the horiz stabilizers about 1/2 way up the vertical stabilizer. Much like the XF-90. Lots of PSR to blend in the T-1 wing.  Base paint is Tamiya rattle can TS-30 silver with hand painted trim.

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

Oh yeah, EXCELLENT stuff there!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

The P-80 always looks beautiful with swept wings and both of your builds are no exception! The P-80G is my favorite with those missiles... :thumbsup:
The first i saw was this one, don't know if you've seen it before, http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40221.0/highlight,pacopepe/'s+f-80.html
Finished model is on page 4.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

Really like the ISTR pod under the nose.  Well done  :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Big Gimper

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 02, 2015, 02:16:06 PM
The P-80 always looks beautiful with swept wings and both of your builds are no exception! The P-80G is my favorite with those missiles... :thumbsup:
The first i saw was this one, don't know if you've seen it before, http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,40221.0/highlight,pacopepe/'s+f-80.html
Finished model is on page 4.

Thank you. I have a soft spot for both the AIM-4D and the AIR-2A. In a previous life I was a Weapons Technician Air in the CAF assigned to a CF-101B Voodoo squadron. I became very good friends with these missiles and rockets.

The P-80 Saberstar is awesome.

Lots of stuff

sandiego89

Quote from: The Big Gimper on August 02, 2015, 06:47:13 PM

Thank you. I have a soft spot for both the AIM-4D and the AIR-2A. In a previous life I was a Weapons Technician Air in the CAF assigned to a CF-101B Voodoo squadron. I became very good friends with these missiles and rockets.

Interesting, I am sure any stories about "playing" with Genies would be appreciated on this forum...
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

Those are both Whiffie contenders, great stuff!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

VERY nice, especially the Spanish one.  :thumbsup:

I also still have a swept wing F-80 derivative on the list... parts are there, even an idea of what to make of it, but it lacks the "inspirational spark". Yet.

zenrat

It's good to see some colourful military planes.  These are great.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Really nice looking pair of P-80's there  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

This model looks so perfect... why did the USAF buy the F-86 and not this one? :unsure: ;D :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

KiwiZac

Hoo baby, I love them both but the first is my favourite. Excellent work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Oh my ! Those are just perfect ! I think I like the F best. Defo an idea worth saving for future consideration.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PACOPEPE

I like them!.  :thumbsup:

Viva classic jets! .

Regards
Fran

*Thanks for the mention of the Sabrestar.