Single engined Gannet

Started by Geoff, August 02, 2015, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I have just got a copy of Nimrod Genesis. The RAF were looking at a single engine Gannet at one point, but went for the Seamew.

My question is would a single engine Gannet still have a contra-rotating prop? I cannot see why not. Also would you get rid of one of the exhausts at the wing root, and if so which one?

Was also wondering about converting the rear cockpit to a turret for service over the North Sea as the MoS wanted these on Viscounts?

Your thoughts please.

TallEng

I did one a while back, although it retained the double Mamba.
and was for the RN. not entirely sure if that's what you had in mind for the turret,
in my vision the turret replaces the radar.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae284/Tourjet/DSC_1859.jpg
and to be honest I`d have thought for commonality reasons the RAF
would have stayed with the double Mamba.
but then again when one looks at MOD procurement decisions in the '60s and '70s......

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

With the Gannet's portly airframe I'd be surprised if a single Mamba would get it off the ground! When you look at how stupidly slim a Seamew is you can see what I mean perhaps.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Thanks both -

My reasoning for keeping 2 engines was , well operating over the North Sea! Twin engine safety.

I do like your model. Mine is a proposed MP aircraft.

KiwiZac

To be honest I see no reason to keep the contraprop unless the horsepower demands it - simpler prop = cheaper.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Gorgeous sand Gannett ! I'd like to see more of that.

As for the original query, I can't see it retaining the contra, being how each engine is geared.

:cheers:

I'd still like to see a slimmer single engine version though !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 22, 2015, 01:25:03 PM
I'd still like to see a slimmer single engine version though !

:thumbsup:

Which is what the Seamew looks like to me.

Would it not be cheaper and quicker to simply use the existing design and airframe with the Twin Mambas? The bigger production run would bring the unit cost down and make spares/repairs a lot simpler.

KJ_Lesnick

One could incorporate a contrarotating propeller into either a single prop or twin prop
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Captain Canada

Makes sense that you wouldn't need it with a single engine tho, but the Seamew would look good with it ! I had not noticed how skinny the Seamew was.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 31, 2015, 12:11:09 PM
Makes sense that you wouldn't need it with a single engine tho, but the Seamew would look good with it ! I had not noticed how skinny the Seamew was.

From head-on it's pretty difficult to see it at all!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit