RCAF RF-102A Delta Dagger

Started by The Big Gimper, August 04, 2015, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

A new personal record has been set. My first reference to this build was in January 2013. It only took me 19 months to complete it.  :-[

What we have here is the unknown RCAF RF-102A Delta Dagger.  As part of Operation Queens Row, the transfer of first 66 F-101B/Fs to the RCAF in 1961, several "surplus" F-102As were modified to be the RF-102s dedicated recce platform.  They were offered to keep the Voodoo deal alive and remain a USAF A/C vs the RCAF going to Europe for the aircraft. 6 were modified and secretly included with the F-101 purchase. No photographs exist of the RF-102As. All that is known about existence is their serial numbers:  17501 to 17506.  As well as very large collection of pictures of the asses of Deer, Moose and Elk running at very high speeds in the Canadian boreal forests and across the Tundra are the only other evidence.

This is my interpretation of what 17501 may have looked as flown by 410 Cougar Squadron (red and white rudder stripe) in 1961. 410 was the designated Voodoo training squadron.

The reason it took me 19 month is I was scared s**tless of ruining the kit. This is my first RCAF lightning stripe build, I have never done the decal on decal roundel, build the serial number by individual numbers, create the canopy frame markup etc.   Way too many new techniques. I want my Mommy!

Items I'd like to change:

1. Maintenance areas are too big.
2. Squadron rudder stripe is too big.

The bill of materials is:

1. Two of the really old Hasegaewa F-102As
2. Nose from the really old Hasegaewa RF-101A
3. Lone Star Models F-102 one piece closed resin weapons bay door
4. Belcher Bits CF-101 decal sheet
5. Fantasy Printshop Black, Red and Yellow decals stripes
6. Liquid courage @ 5.5% by volume

Primary paint is Tamiya spray bomb TS-30.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Captain Canada

Oh what a beauty ! Love the markings on that scheme. The nose really changes the look of her as well.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Howard of Effingham

:thumbsup:

I like this one a lot! excellent idea.

:thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

loupgarou

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 04, 2015, 11:58:29 AM
Oh what a beauty ! Love the markings on that scheme. The nose really changes the look of her as well.

:wub:

Yes, the upturned nose is very se*y!
Ahem, why TWO Hase F-102?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Gondor

I am guessing loupgarou that t second F-102A was to provide the extra fuel tanks under the wings because the F-102 normally only carries one pair of fuel tanks in total.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Gondor on August 04, 2015, 02:29:35 PM
I am guessing loupgarou that t second F-102A was to provide the extra fuel tanks under the wings because the F-102 normally only carries one pair of fuel tanks in total.

Gondor

Correct. Also the nose gear part was too damaged to use so I stole that PN as well.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, that REALLY looks the business!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Camera nose, NM finish AND Canadian lightning stripe, what's not to like?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Why do Canadian military aircraft look so good with the flash on their side?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Some of them look even betterer, the ones with the double lightning flash, like the Argus.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

FAR148

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

How many of those 19 months were devoted to PSR?

Excellent.  This spurs me on to finish mine.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Beautiful!  :thumbsup:

But anything with a Canadian flash on its NMF/grey side looks flashy...  ;)

Geoff

Excellent -great idea well executed. I love it!