Model Shops in Croydon

Started by NARSES2, August 06, 2015, 07:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Yup that's right, there are now 3 model shops in Croydon, or perhaps I should say "outlets"

There's the Modelzone in WH Smiths which is handy for paints, glues etc (if you use Humbrol). Kit selection is a case of "if they have something you fancy, then great"

The concession in the old Alders. Again handy for paints - Revel and Vallejo. Kit selection ? Probably greater then in MZ but plenty of multiples quite often at daft prices. I bought a few Academy Me 262's at £3.99 each the other day which will eventually go on EBay. Good selection of Hasegawa but at the usual daft Hasegawa prices. This wasn't supposed to last past last Christmas but still going.

The new one is in St George's Walk, bottom end on the left hand side walking down towards the High St. Now the guy running it has had at least two previous cracks at running model shops in Croydon, neither of which lasted that long. Shame because he's a nice guy. Shop is similar to his previous attempts in that there's a fair chunk of ship and armour kits and a few aircraft (in comparison to the others types he stocks) plus some paints etc.  Now selection, at least for the aircraft, is a bit like under the stand at model shows, again as in his previous attempts, and are probably mostly second hand. I can't speak for the armour and ships as I build neither. So quite a mixture of manufacturers, indeed I was surprised to see some of the limited run producers there, at prices you'd pay to a trader at a show. So again if he has something you want great.

Thorvic pointed me to this shop a few weeks ago but I'm normally in Croydon early and he opens at 10:00 so I only got there today. How long will it last ? Depends on his rent deal which given the shoddy (and that's being nice) state of St George's Walk can't be that much. Just hope it lasts long enough and is successful so he can perhaps increase the range stocked.

Now I was in all 3 today and bought nothing as there just wasn't anything I was after or even half fancied. If you put all 3 outlets together then the stock might equal a semi decent shop.

Sorry if I seem down but I remember the original model shop in St George's Walk, which then became Modelzone, and modellers of my generation were spoiled. So best of luck to the new entrant and if you are in Croydon pay them a visit. I'm probably just a little to picky.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 06, 2015, 07:06:27 AM
... I remember the original model shop in St George's Walk, which then became Modelzone, and modellers of my generation were spoiled...

There was one there when I live in Croydon between about '97 & '03.  I hadn't got back into building then but I used to stop and look at the builds in the window and bought my father some Scalectrix cars there for his 60th in 2001.  They were filming The Bill there at the time.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2015, 04:35:05 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 06, 2015, 07:06:27 AM
... I remember the original model shop in St George's Walk, which then became Modelzone, and modellers of my generation were spoiled...

There was one there when I live in Croydon between about '97 & '03.  I hadn't got back into building then but I used to stop and look at the builds in the window and bought my father some Scalectrix cars there for his 60th in 2001.  They were filming The Bill there at the time.

Same one. It opened in the 70's or early 80's ? as an independent shop and the owner had an import business as well where he bought a lot of diecast stuff in from the continent. Remember the Solido stuff very well.

The lad who was the junior at the time is now running the model concession in Alders (via various managerial positions in MZ) and the guy who was an assistant in there ended up as manager and is now working as the gents wear consultant in M&S in Croydon. Neither look any different  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 07, 2015, 06:13:41 AM
...s now working as the gents wear consultant in M&S in Croydon...

Are you free Mr Humphries?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

I wouldn't say that to him, he's a big lad  :rolleyes:

zenrat

Oh, THAT kind of consultant... ;)
Fred

Hman

Visited the shop at lunch time, and bought some bit and pieces... It would have been rude not to!

"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."