Spruce Goose

Started by Captain Canada, August 09, 2015, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Just starting on this one, and looking for help/ ideas/ knowledge. probably should look at JATO or somat.

My early concern is going to be dio bits in 200 scale, boats, dudes, other flying boats.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Nice, I have built one and have 2 in the stash when I spotted them on the bargain bin.  Agree 1/200 poses some real challenges, likely some scale-o-rama and scratch build will be required for any accessories. 

A production version proposal for the Hercules called for a bow opening nose, so a diorama with her beached with her nose beached and disgorging trucks etc over the bow would be a good diorama.  There are some great photos of the CONVAIR Tradewind doing this and they look great.  Would require some substantial nose work and partial building a cargo deck.  The kit is quite basic. 

JATO/RATO would be a good idea, need a lot of bottles, but they will be tine in 1/200.  I would mount a rack on (b-47 style) on the mid aft fuselage.   

The individual prop blades on the kit are very fragile.  Don't put the props on to the very last and only touch the shaft/spinner- and if you don't bend/break at least one somewhere in the process, I owe you a beer  :cheers:

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Beer ?

lol thanks for the input !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 09, 2015, 02:30:35 PM
  Agree 1/200 poses some real challenges, likely some scale-o-rama and scratch build will be required for any accessories. 

Not certain if they are available in your corner of the world, but watch out for Z scale model railroad accessories. It's actually 1:220, but the margin is hardly visible. Märklin did and does trains in this scale, and there's a lot of stuff available, like buildings or vehicles.

zenrat

Finish it in NMF?
Similar in concept to building a rusted corvette.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Birch, in fact, not Spruce, as the name implies.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 10, 2015, 05:34:00 PM
Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2015, 01:21:32 AM
Finish it in NMF?

Considering it was built in wood ------------

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa263/kitnut617/Hughes%20HK-1%20%20H-4/Hughes%20HK-1%20Hercules%20004_zps5dwctcgf.jpg

Yes.  That's the point...
I know it was wooden which is why I suggested an NMF finish and made reference to rusted Corvettes.  Maybe I should have said Chevrolet Corvette to make the point stronger.  The Chevrolet Corvette has a fibreglass body which (underlying steel framing aside) will not rust.  Various model car builders have over the years built model Chevrolet Corvettes with rusty bodywork to wind up nit pickers and JMNs.
I suggested  finishing the model Spruce Goose in NMF for the same reason.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

I'm thinking the traditional overall blue. It will all depend on what role I finalize on. The lazy half of me wants to leave it with a solid nose and cargo doors. It might change the look of it too much to hinge the nose, but it would defo be more practical for a bird of such use.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

It would look good in overall Gloss Sea Blue, and different as well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2015, 02:41:38 AM
Finish it in NMF?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa263/kitnut617/Hughes%20HK-1%20%20H-4/Hughes%20HK-1%20Hercules%20004_zps5dwctcgf.jpg

Yes.  That's the point...
I know it was wooden which is why I suggested an NMF finish and made reference to rusted Corvettes.  Maybe I should have said Chevrolet Corvette to make the point stronger.  The Chevrolet Corvette has a fibreglass body which (underlying steel framing aside) will not rust.  Various model car builders have over the years built model Chevrolet Corvettes with rusty bodywork to wind up nit pickers and JMNs.
I suggested  finishing the model Spruce Goose in NMF for the same reason.

Ah! You also used a lower case "c", which strengthened the impression that you were talking about ships. :-X
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2015, 06:31:18 AM
It would look good in overall Gloss Sea Blue, and different as well  :thumbsup:

Yes that would work too !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

I definitely echo sentiment about the props, I lost so many in building it (age 12 I think) that I made Dad rather angry by snapping them all off!

It's a fine kit for whiffery given its simplicity and price. I've thought a little about doing an in-service one, and as I have a real soft spot for all things Hughes I'm excited to follow along!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kitnut617

Eventually, I'll get the 1/72 kit of it, got the decals for it already too. 

Going to use some of these from my 1/72 747 kit

and these which CanMilAir did up for me

Or I might do it like this 1/200 scale one

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 11, 2015, 08:08:50 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2015, 02:41:38 AM
Finish it in NMF?

Yes.  That's the point...
I know it was wooden which is why I suggested an NMF finish and made reference to rusted Corvettes.  Maybe I should have said Chevrolet Corvette to make the point stronger.  The Chevrolet Corvette has a fibreglass body which (underlying steel framing aside) will not rust.  Various model car builders have over the years built model Chevrolet Corvettes with rusty bodywork to wind up nit pickers and JMNs.
I suggested  finishing the model Spruce Goose in NMF for the same reason.

Ah! You also used a lower case "c", which strengthened the impression that you were talking about ships. :-X

True.  I apologise.  I blame the fact that snot volume in my head is up while hours sleep are down making me both irritable and easilly distrac...

...what's that bird out there.
Fred