Spruce Goose

Started by Captain Canada, August 09, 2015, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 18, 2015, 06:01:02 PM

It's not 1/144 scale -- it's 1/200 as it's the same model as the one I have but with fantasy decals. 

I was going by the heading on the linked web site, it doesn't say anything about the scale on the box.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Oh yeah she's huge Robert ! That's something I'd sure like to see someday....

As for the TWA kit, wonder if it has the transfers to make the fake windows etc ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Looking forward to the bow door- no going back now! 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

I saw the Goose when she was in LA and strangely she didn't look that big. I think that was simply because he setting back then had nothing to compare her to
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Thanks Dave ! Part of the fun doing up the bulk heads etc. And I can imagine Chris, seeing a full size DC-3 under one wing sure brings her scale to life !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 19, 2015, 06:08:44 AM
Oh yeah she's huge Robert ! That's something I'd sure like to see someday....

As for the TWA kit, wonder if it has the transfers to make the fake windows etc ?

Yes it does, so does the one fantasy boxing I have
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Here's a pic of the inside of her looking towards the nose

and I think the side window decals idea must have come from what is actually there -- which isn't how it was when it flew

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 19, 2015, 07:30:58 AM
I saw the Goose when she was in LA and strangely she didn't look that big. I think that was simply because he setting back then had nothing to compare her to

I had the exact feeling while seeing her in the dome (Long Beach). For me I think it was a sense of anticiaption and agree the scale of the building threw me off.  Huge dome with no frame of reference.  She was also up a small plynth then.  I think if she had been in a normal hanger or outside, or had other airplanes under her like now, I would have appreciated the size more.   I had also been inside jumbos and C-5's by then so the inside was not as huge as I perhaps imagined.

Now the wing is quite impressive by any standard....

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Nice pic from the inside Robert, thanks. I can use that as a reference, although mine will be hinged and also have a cargo set of doors somewhere along the fuselage side.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 20, 2015, 05:25:54 AM
 I had also been inside jumbos and C-5's by then so the inside was not as huge as I perhaps imagined.

Now the wing is quite impressive by any standard....

I had the same feeling the first time I went into the Sunderland fuselage at Hendon.

Agree re the wing. Even in LA that looked long enough to please even Kit PR19
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2015, 07:11:24 AM

Hahaha...thanks for the laugh Chris !

I'm working at hacking out the flaps today. I was also wondering about adding some spoilers or vents or whatever they are called, to add some interest and make the wing more efficient. I think I saw some on a Mars or the Tradewind. I still have research to do but would rather just get on with it than quibble with myself over details.... 
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2015, 07:11:24 AM

It's the longest wing ever IIRC, 320 ft.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I think the big wing floats are the perfect place to store the 'ships boats' don't you ? I'm currently on the hunt for 200 scale stuff. I see that Freetime Hobbies have quite a bit ( not a lot in stock tho ) I may drop by my LHS tomorrow and see what they have, but I'm also open to suggestions.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Hacking away.....cut out the flaps and sorted the wings

And cut the rest of the doors. I actually cut one more man sized door in front of the big cargo door. Also got most of the floor sorted.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Mark me as another who was underwhelmed by the beast in person, of course I'd spent a few years walking around 747's on the assembly
line in Everett by the time I actually saw the Hercules in McMinnville.  ;D