Spruce Goose

Started by Captain Canada, August 09, 2015, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Here's a reference on Brit seaplane tenders that may be of use in figuring out a possible layout/size.

Excerpted from this page:
http://www.rania.co.uk/boat%20photos/ST/RAF-HSLAlbum/index2.html

On this site:
http://rania.co.uk/boat%20photos/ST/

Captain Canada

Great stuff ! And thanks for the links ! Those are really nice boats and I'll defo be saving the ideas and emulating their style !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 27, 2015, 12:28:37 PM
My crude math has 1cm equalling 2m ?

200 scale ?

yes, that's correct.

zenrat

Just a thought, but could you paint this aircraft up as if it was being used to transport fruit based beverages named after a cartoon cervine?

The Bullwinkle J Moose Juice Spruce Goose...

Sorry, i'll get me coat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

lol good one ! Thanks guys.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Sorry guys work has stalled on this one.....hope to get some mojo back today ! On my second cup of coffee and still no motivation to get off the chair. Ugh.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Well, I'm glad I didn't put this thread in the Civilianize/ militarize GB thread, as I thought I had. Not going to be done in time, that's for sure. And I don't want to rush it. I want to build a nice dio base and add figures and boats and vehicles and perhaps a few other flying boats.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Good man. Take all the time you need, I know it'll be worth the wait. There's not much worse in modelling than rushing something just to get it done, only to regret not doing it "right" later on.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Thanks Zac ! I actually worked on it tonite....and also found the figures I was looking for online. Pics tomorrow !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Since I am modelling this bird with the flaps down, and they are big flaps, I thought that a neat idea would be to have a little door/ room where a JATO set could be deployed from each side. That sounds good eh ? I'm sure it would help this beast get off the Sea when heavily laden ! I think it will also add interest as well, once my little dudes show up and I can have them clambering about. I just glued in a couple of supports so I could add a floor before I bolt the wing down.

As you can see she's a big old bird ! Coming together nicely tho. I have been scribing some lines on the wings and engines, and I want to drill out some port holes on the fuselage and add a bit of panel lines to it as well. Might not make much of a difference, as she will be finished in an overall gloss blue, but it should give me somat to weather etc.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

It looks more impressive in plastic than it does in real life  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Thanks Chris ! I'm scribing the cooling louvres etc into the engine nacelles which should add some realism etc. along with lots of hatches and doors open so I can add a pile of figures to bring the size to life. I need top work on a few vehicles as well might be fun....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Thanks !

I'd love to see more boats around here  :drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Does it actually have 'panel lines' as such?

Being made of wood, like a Mosquito, it's effectively all one piece when the glue's dried so they may not be all that visible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

There's a few on the model, but not many. Mine are just to add walkways and a bit of detail, like for the wing leading edge etc. Good point tho, but you never know, maybe the production version would have used more ( and lighter ) metals/ alloys ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?