Spruce Goose

Started by Captain Canada, August 09, 2015, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 10, 2015, 03:01:11 PM

Good point tho, but you never know, maybe the production version would have used more ( and lighter ) metals/ alloys ?

Yes, I can't imagine Hughes denuding the Oregon, Californian and Washington forests if he'd built a lot of them.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

lol too right ! It's one thing to build a fleet of Mossie's entirely of wood, and still have trees to spare...but these things on the other hand....

:thumbsup:

I can just imagine a story of one crash landing in northern BC and the locals using it as a source of firewood for the next 30 seasons !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

You wouldn't want to burn it as the smoke would be horrid.  :banghead:

It's built out of sheets of Duramold composite, layers of thin birch veneers impregnated with phenolic resin.

BTW not that much of the desirable type birch in the US PNW forests so it wouldn't have been an issue; B.C., Minnesota,
Wisconsin and Michigan on the other hand.  ;D

KiwiZac

Great progress, Captain! You've got me wanting another of these to build "properly". I went to Hannants and this one's cheap enough, but the A-Model/A-Monster 1/72 one is NZ$700!!! I wouldn't mind doing it though...

Re take-off aids, as a kid I thought podded overwing jets (like those on the Beriev A-40 amphibian) would be handy. I do like the idea of JATO/RATO bottles though.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

I hadn't thought about podded jets...but I think that might take away from the 'classic; lines too much.

And thanks for the info re: how it's made....I guess I should do a little reading eh !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 10, 2015, 04:30:35 PM

It's built out of sheets of Duramold composite, layers of thin birch veneers impregnated with phenolic resin.

BTW not that much of the desirable type birch in the US PNW forests so it wouldn't have been an issue; B.C., Minnesota,

What?!  It's not spruce?!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tc2324

Podded over wing jets would look awesome on this.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on September 11, 2015, 02:18:45 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 10, 2015, 04:30:35 PM

What?!  It's not spruce?!

Spruce Goose was a derogatory name given it by a particular senator and the press of the time who were against it (much like what we hear these days about the F-35)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Interesting...so should it keep that name for it's in service title ? Might be kind of fun !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Got a wee bit more done on the interior, mainly the hinged nose joint, as well as a bit more with the wing. I've opened her up in a few places, to allow access and egress to this giant bird. I might keep going, but I might draw a sketch tomorrow and ask for an opinion or two.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

A couple of views of last nights shenanigans.

Also working on the oil coolers/ intakes or what have you. I'd like to add work platforms to one engine, and scratchbuild a wee engine and have it being worked on.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

That's looking really good Cap'n, a bit like a piston engined, flying boat version of an An-124.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Thank you sir ! Still a long ways to go, but I'm having a lot of fun with it !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Great nose!  Does it hinge up/down?   

I vote no jets, but maybe some RATO bottles- eight 4360's is a lot of horsepower, and agree on keeping the lines as much as possible. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Thanks ! It's a hinge...I was trying to add bits to make it look more 'hingey' lol. Getting there !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?