Airbus A350 MRTT

Started by TallEng, August 17, 2015, 08:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

I've been wanting to get in on this group build for ages :rolleyes:
But life (getting a new job) and a complete lack of ideas kept getting in The way  :banghead:
But then things started to fall into place.....
For my Birthday eldest daughter sent me from America a copy of  Combat Aircraft magazine,
Which contains amongst other things an article on Worldwide Tanker programs.
Then whilst shopping with Mrs TallEng I was allowed a stash increase purchase :thumbsup:
And my eye alighted on Revells newish A350-900
Now with a bit of luck and an extension (which I believe is waiting in the wings)
I might be in with a chance....
So, we have the beginning  ;D

And this is where we are after a quick afternoons work

Fuselage all together, (note that your required to glue the nose U/C in whilst joining the fuselage
Together) this will get snapped off/broken several times :banghead: especially as I plan on taking
A saw to the fuselage when the glue is set.

You even get a tiny cockpit with seats instrument panels etc, I of course did not add seat belts :rolleyes:
I don't have my magnifying thingy with me.
Anyway I'm on nights for the next two weeks and so will endevor to do a little bit each day :o
Wish me luck :cheers:
Back story and user will depend on a) my imagination :rolleyes: and b) what little of the decal bank I've
brought with me
I should explain that the new job is a 5 and a1/2 hour car journey away and consists of a two week stretch doing mostly nights, then two weeks off. The company kindly Provides a small furnished flat, so I thought why not do some modeling? I've got a little stash with me ;)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Spey_Phantom

a fantasticidea, ive been playing with the same idea for some time, after i built a KC-48 (Boeing 787 based tanker) i was thinking the A350 would become the next tanker platform post-2030  ;D
youre giving me a good idea for a next build, maybe a european Air Force One  :rolleyes:

i also had the same problem with the landing gear when i built my Sabena A350, they really made that part very complex.
so i was pretty much forced to build it wheels-up.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on August 17, 2015, 08:01:11 AM

Fuselage all together, (note that your required to glue the nose U/C in whilst joining the fuselage
Together) this will get snapped off/broken several times :banghead: especially as I plan on taking
A saw to the fuselage when the glue is set.

Is that idiot who does that STILL on the Revell design team?  :banghead:

They did this with the 767 first and I devised a way to add the nosehweel after assembly, took some pics of it and sent it to Revell, suggesting that they take the idea on board for later kits. Did I even get a reply? No, not a word!!!

How long are they going to carry on with this stupidity?

I think I trimmed off the lower sides of the nose gear 'box' and added some very small styrene strips so it slid into the correct position afterward, but I'd need to dig the models out to confirm that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Nice subject, will look good when done.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TallEng

Fuselage surgery :o
Before

And after ;D

For those that would like to know; the reduction in length brings it down to -800 size, which is
Roughly equivalent to the A330-200 (give or take a meter or two) the -200 being the base A/C
For the MRTT.

That's it so far....

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Love the idea and great work so far !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

I'll just say I told you so :rolleyes:
Approximately 3/4 of B..... All work done on the Airbus Tanker
and what little done resulted in....

yes a Broken nose leg :thumbsup: still; not entirely surprised at that. I knew
it would happen. Hopefully more will be done this week, as I have to go to schoolish
to learn a new(old) Airplane So in between Homework/study there should be a couple of
modelling hours a day somewhere, maybe :thumbsup:
(NB Famous last words etc)

Regards
Keith

Gondor

That looks as if it should be easy to drill and pin  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on August 30, 2015, 01:48:17 PM
That looks as if it should be easy to drill and pin  :thumbsup:

Gondor

It's OK the first time, but when it snaps off again it's a lot more difficult.

Best left for the very last thing before it's put on its base!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Shortening the fuse really improves the look in my eyes. Great work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

Nice one ! It does look good shortened !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

Earlier this afternoon, this was spotted flying at low Level over "somewhere in Germany"
It is believed to be the prototype Airbus A350 MRTT :o

This last one shows the refueling pod under the wing. Might be a bit big?

And another question about something that's bothering me.
All of the various tankers/MRTT's seem now to be painted in some kind of camouflage grey scheme. Why?
It's not like they're going to be in harms way is it? Surely they're too valuable and Not
Easily defendable enough that your going to risk putting them where somebody will be able to hit them.
And camouflage for on the ground is also a trifle unnecessary? If anything wouldn't you want them
To be easily recognized (for the aircraft requiring refueling) or if your flying in supplies for disaster
Relief or even flying in reinforcements for a spot of Sabre rattling or lending a hand to a needy former
Colony wouldn't you want people to know that it was you? After all your spending all that money and nowadays
People want to see a return for their investment?...... Questions, questions, where will it all end :rolleyes:

Comments etc.....

Regards
Keith

Gondor

The under-wing pods for the Airfix 1/144 KC10 tanker are just under 3cm long if that is any help to you.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The airforces that they serve in, or for in the RAF's case, have LOTS of grey paint to hand so why not use it on the tanker thingies too? Saves complicated stores entries etc.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

well in my opinion, the pods would look like the ones on a Voyager

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike