"Holy Grail" model kits

Started by seadude, August 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 03, 2015, 02:56:38 AM
So this is where all the 1:72 F-16XL's went...!  ;D

;D Don't worry, i've got enough, i won't buy more... well, maybe just the Skunk Model Works F-16XL in 1/48 and then i'm done...  :wacko:

Quote from: Rolead on October 03, 2015, 04:43:06 AM
Would not be surprised if Revell dusted off the moulds

That would be a very good move but better than that would be a new, more accurate tooling... :rolleyes:

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 03, 2015, 05:14:26 AM
I built the Monogram F-16XL ages ago. Typical Monogram in that is was an enjoyable build. Used to love their kits as a teenager

Now that i have 2 kits, i'm starting one soon... The F-16 is my favorite jet but the XL... :wub: :bow:
It won't be RW, i'm probably giving it a C or E tail, CFTs and a DSI... :wacko:

:cheers:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Many of the "old school" 1:72 are very good, AFAIK or can tell. They have raised surface detail, yes, but fit is exceptionally good and there is so much of details all around them.
I built the F-105D many years ago, and I was impressed. A friend of mine, who built many F-4 Phantom IIs also  said that the Monogram kits were overall the best he had built. If the F-16XL is on par with that, it should not only be the only available kit of the F-16XL, but also a very good one.

seadude

Found and bought today on ebay the old Testor 1/72 scale XR-7 Thunder Dart model kit for about $50. Once I recieve the kit, I'll build it and add it to my Aurora hypersonic aircraft diorama that I am currently building.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: seadude on October 03, 2015, 02:49:04 PM
Found and bought today on ebay the old Testor 1/72 scale XR-7 Thunder Dart model kit for about $50. Once I recieve the kit, I'll build it and add it to my Aurora hypersonic aircraft diorama that I am currently building.

Never heard of that one til now... That looks like a nice kit, good acquisition! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

seadude

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 03, 2015, 04:23:46 PM
Quote from: seadude on October 03, 2015, 02:49:04 PM

Never heard of that one til now... That looks like a nice kit, good acquisition! :thumbsup:

I used to have one long, long ago, but my basement apartment storage locker got broken into, my stuff got thrown around, and some parts were missing from the kit. :(
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

McColm

There has been a recent release of the F-16XL in 1/48 scale by the Skunkmodels Workshop.
I've added the front air intake from the X-32 and rear engine housing to my Monogram 1/72 kit. The tinted cockpit glazing has been chipped by the previous owner, the clear plastic canopy is in good order.

The Matchbox/AMT and Airfix 1/24 European Ford Capri's are becoming scarce.
There are a few outrageous flared wheel arches kits, but the prices are getting silly.
I did have a go at converting the Tamiya Gr4/5 into a road car-pimp my ride, as a guide.

Army of One

Nah.......i got a couple......dunno why.....got some in 1/144 as well but no idea of the manufacturer........again i don't know why....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

JayBee

Quote from: Army of One on October 24, 2015, 02:36:32 PM

.got some in 1/144 as well but no idea of the manufacturer

Very likely to be LS. They are the only people who made one that I know of, but then there ma be copies.

I have one here waiting to be WhIfed.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Big Gimper

1/72 Hasegawa X5U-1. Not sure if its falls into the "Holy Grail" category but very very close. I think I might it finish in FAA Operation Musketeer colours with appropriate FAA updates.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Wooksta!

Suez may be a tad late - Korea?

It wasn't a Hasegawa kit.  They bought it in from another manufacturer, although I can't remember who.  Their Mitsubishi Komet copy was by another manufacturer also.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Big Gimper

Scalemates says it is a rebrand of the Hobby Spot U kit. Never heard of them.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Wooksta!

Probably one of the many Japanese kit manufacturers whose product is unknown outside of Japan.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

The Big Book says Hobby Spot U made three resin kits between 1989 to 1993. The Vought XF5F-1 and the Bell X-1 being reissued by Hasegawa in injection.  The third kit was a Nakajima J8N1 Kikka

(EDIT)  Lee is right, it's a Japanese outfit
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Interesting about the XF5F-1. Always thought it was an odd one for Hasegawa to do, now it makes a little more sense  :thumbsup:

Never worked out what to do with mine  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Not quite a kit as such, but the 1/72 AeroClub resin/vacform/white metal Shackleton MR2 & AEW is a rare find.
Could be just lucky to find two for under £50 within 7 days of each other.