"Holy Grail" model kits

Started by seadude, August 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolead

Revell Chance Vought Regulus II wished I had picked up a couple when they re-released in the 80s

Robert

zenrat

Quote from: Diamondback on August 21, 2015, 11:20:32 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 21, 2015, 03:18:20 AM
I'm amazed that no-one re-popped the Otaki C-5. It's been OOP for decades and it's not a bad kit at all, it's just that there's not enough of them.
My understanding is that the tooling mysteriously vanished--tales conflict between scrapped, dumped in Tokyo Bay in a last act of spite by bankrupt owner, and other similar fates...

That might also explain the rarity of the awesome 1/24 Otaki Wheel & tyre sets which include the best Big & Little 5 slot mags (AKA Fentons, Jelly Beans etc) in scale.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Diamondback

For you guys who want Revell to tool up a new C-5, you might toss an upvote on here:
http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/124/
and/or
http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/944/
. Between my page and Scooters that's only 500 votes--and I've asked them to merge the two pages. Problem is, the heavy-hitters are running north of 10,000, some upwards of 50,000 votes...

Green Dragon

Voted for your C-5's Diamondback, been on my grail list for along time. Otaki also released it as the civvie L-500, both Revell & Testors reissued it. Revell was in European One scheme. Still kicking myself for not buying a Revell issue about twenty or more years ago in Wonderland.
Very surprised to see the Andromeda Ascendent & Slip Fighter from the Andromeda TV show have over 7300 votes each! Didn't think there were that many fans of that show on this whole planet!
Edit:- Forgot to say I voted for a load of Star Trek Shuttles on there too, all on my Grail list in 1/72nd.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Hobbes

Quote from: Diamondback on August 21, 2015, 07:36:17 PM
For you guys who want Revell to tool up a new C-5, you might toss an upvote on here:
and/or
. Between my page and Scooters that's only 500 votes--and I've asked them to merge the two pages. Problem is, the heavy-hitters are running north of 10,000, some upwards of 50,000 votes...

That's still running?  :blink:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: McColm on August 20, 2015, 11:44:35 PM
I would have said the 1/72 Monogram F-16XL until one came up for sale on eBay. It's the single seater, not too sure if Monogram did the two seater kit.

Have you seen these conversions? http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~lonestar/SALE06.htm
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Diamondback

Quote from: Hobbes on August 23, 2015, 10:54:27 AM
Quote from: Diamondback on August 21, 2015, 07:36:17 PM
and/or

That's still running?  :blink:
Surprisingly, yes. As is a similar site with LEGO, though I don't know why the latter's even bothering--they're bordering on blatant about playing favorites with one particular designer for demographics while thumbing their nose at anything big or challenging no matter how much fan-demand there is. They've never tried to rebut it when we in the community have made the observation...

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Librarian on August 21, 2015, 12:55:23 PM
Always wanted to get to the bottom of this one. The most reliable info I've come across is that several molds were lost whilst in the care of Revell (incl. 1/32 Ki-61), lost at sea when the container ship sank...anyone else know if this is true.

Maybe not the actual ship itself, but just the container?

There are instances all the time of these things being lost over the side... too tall a stack, a large wave, and bye-bye...

Or, maybe they were part of the Train Wreck Loss and are rusting away in some swamp somewhere?

Cheers

RAFF-35

Jeese, forgot that Revell were still doing that, I've submitted the AH-56 Cheyenne in 1:48 / 1:72 and the Bugatti 100p in 1:72 if you want to, please could you give me a few votes, here are the links below :)

http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/6187/

http://ideas.revell.de/ideas/item/6186/
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Mossie

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 21, 2015, 12:04:54 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 21, 2015, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: Mossie on August 21, 2015, 05:34:11 AM
Now I think about, so have I, sort of.  I wanted an Aoshima Airwolf  for many years, but they were difficult find and even harder at a reasonable price.  Then they brought out a completely new kit, I bought one (paid a little over the odds due to procrastinating, that's another story) so I got a different kit, but better. :thumbsup:  I've also got a couple of Academy Hughes 500's as the ubiquitous bad guys.

Just got to pick up the courage to build as being a holy grail kit, I don't want to mess it up.  :banghead:  I particularly want to do it all dirty as in the scene at the end of the pilot movie where Hawke smokes Moffett.

IIRC the only Aoshima Airwolf kit is the one they released in 2009, the AMT/ERTL kit from 1984 was re-boxed/cloned by Idea/Kitech.
Was it also re-boxed by Aoshima?

I have the AMT/ERTL kit and what I like is that it can be built as a regular 222, which is what I'm doing.  :thumbsup:

Yes.  I remember checking the box and putting it back in disgust knowing it was the AMT kit for an extortionate amount.

I'm also sorry to say that the newer Aoshima one, despite the detail and beautiful moulding may well still have the too fat look due to an incorrect angle of the camera fairings above the Turbo Thrusters, an impossibility to fix.

And the Miku Cheyenne was definitely resin, as Van883 of this parrish can attest, as it is he who bought it from me.

Cheers both. Yes, AMT kit, brain malfunctioned for a while.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

wagnersm

HBM Models No 315 Douglas XB-19 Hemisphere Defender

HBM does short run resin aircraft models in 1/200th scale.  Also some submarines and armored trains. 

Steve

Dizzyfugu

A(nother) Hasegawa F5U in 1:72. Had one, many years ago, but it was squashed under a dictionary...  :-\

I'd like another one (and make a fictional service aircraft from it. Maybe two, for a dark blue USN version and a grey/white USMC attacker ), but they were never re-issued since the 90ies, and if you come across one the prices are irrational.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 28, 2015, 05:05:45 AM
A(nother) Hasegawa F5U in 1:72. Had one, many years ago, but it was squashed under a dictionary...  :-\

I'd like another one (and make a fictional service aircraft from it. Maybe two, for a dark blue USN version and a grey/white USMC attacker ), but they were never re-issued since the 90ies, and if you come across one the prices are irrational.

Good stuff, a cracking kit and very Whiffable of course.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

HBM ? 200 scale ? Off to have a look thanks !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Quote from: seadude on August 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM
We all love to search for and buy model kits. But sometimes, there are models we don't have that are very, very old, difficult, rare, etc.  to get a hold of for various reasons that we wished we had them in our collections. What "holy grail" model kits are you looking for?

My two I'm still searching for:
Old Monogram 1/48 F-19 Stealth Fighter
Old Testors 1/48 Stingbat LHX Stealth Helicopter

Just found and ordered the F-19 on Amazon.  :thumbsup: It's the old 1/72 scale Monogram kit.  :cheers:  :drink:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.