"Holy Grail" model kits

Started by seadude, August 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 28, 2015, 06:21:28 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2015, 02:10:42 PM
They should have crowd-funded some masking tape! That's a TERRIBLE paint job around the drop-master's panel.

On the othe side another real life proof that many model kits just look too "clean" and accurate - not only concerning the paint finish, but also the surface structure and the way this channels dirt/rain.

Unfortunately I can remember how the real things looked, and the RAF did use masking tape and the lines were straight. That's why it looks so wrong to my eyes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2015, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 28, 2015, 06:21:28 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2015, 02:10:42 PM
They should have crowd-funded some masking tape! That's a TERRIBLE paint job around the drop-master's panel.

On the othe side another real life proof that many model kits just look too "clean" and accurate - not only concerning the paint finish, but also the surface structure and the way this channels dirt/rain.

Unfortunately I can remember how the real things looked, and the RAF did use masking tape and the lines were straight. That's why it looks so wrong to my eyes.

We need a frickin' LIKE button.   :thumbsup:

JasonW

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 28, 2015, 05:05:45 AM
A(nother) Hasegawa F5U in 1:72. Had one, many years ago, but it was squashed under a dictionary...  :-\

I'd like another one (and make a fictional service aircraft from it. Maybe two, for a dark blue USN version and a grey/white USMC attacker ), but they were never re-issued since the 90ies, and if you come across one the prices are irrational.
I was thinking dark blue USN and maybe an RN scheme (EDSG over sky). Been hunting them for years since I got my first one back in the mid-90's. Just got another one of these on eBay for $16.59 USD. Shocked really, didn't expect to get it for that much. Seen them go for $50-60 USD in the past.

There are a couple of vac-form kits on eBay currently, I've been tempted to give it a whirl (never built a vac-form really).
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JasonW on October 02, 2015, 06:34:08 AM

There are a couple of vac-form kits on eBay currently, I've been tempted to give it a whirl (never built a vac-form really).

If it's the Airmodel 'kit' I'd forget it. I had one, before Hasegawa did theirs, and it's DIABOLICAL! The top and bottom halves don't even mate up properly and that's pretty much all there is to an F-5U anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JasonW

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 02, 2015, 08:43:54 AM
If it's the Airmodel 'kit' I'd forget it. I had one, before Hasegawa did theirs, and it's DIABOLICAL! The top and bottom halves don't even mate up properly and that's pretty much all there is to an F-5U anyway.
Thanks for the word of warning. They're both gone now anyhow. Just did a search and apparently both sold along with a Hasegawa kit that the seller had for $40 purchase price (plus $12 shipping). I think one vac was the Airmodel kit but the other came from another manufacturer I think.

Fortunately I have a couple of the Hasegawa kits I've managed to get over the years.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

DogfighterZen

My quest is over!! After over a year of searching the web for hours and hours, and quite a decent sum of money spent, i'm done! Of my stash, these are my treasure... There are a few others that were also very desired, but these are my precious...
Guess i can call this "Holy Stash" 2015 family pic... ;D

Now what's next on the bench...? :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Cool selection ! Build the YF-23  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Only two props amongst the whole lot of them, and they're in the same kit.  ;)

And just what ARE you planning to do with all those F-16XLs? No wonder they're almost extinct on '....internet auction sites near me....'.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

While looking up what an F-5U was I found this.  Now I think I want one...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 02, 2015, 02:12:56 PM
Cool selection ! Build the YF-23  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Captain!  :thumbsup: I'll only build one of those sometime next year. Too much on the go at the moment, and not much time... :banghead:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 02, 2015, 04:30:57 PM
Only two props amongst the whole lot of them, and they're in the same kit.  ;)

And just what ARE you planning to do with all those F-16XLs? No wonder they're almost extinct on '....internet auction sites near me....'.

Well, i know, very few props here... most of the prop planes i want are easy to get, most of them in the shopping list now that i've closed down my Grail kits Quest. But i really am a jet lover... :lol:
The XLs... well, conversion sets will be kept for sometime later on, the quality is excellent so i'll have to improve my modeling skills a lot before i get to them.
The Monogram kits, one is probably being thrown onto the bench sometime next week... and it ain't gonna be real world! :wacko:
Sorry, Kit, but i had to buy them, my Viperian Syndrome is too severe to control... ;) Also, i spent a lot of time looking for the kits, you know the saying, the early bird gets the worm... or something like that.  ;D
I was very surprised that the first kit i bought from someone in Canada over a year ago, had no other bid... :o The second came from the UK just yesterday, only one other guy bid on it... So my guess is that there aren't many modelers interested in the kit, or they're simply not looking in the right place... :unsure:
Anyway, there are a few selling on the bay at this moment, just that most are twice the price that i paid for mine. The cheapest on auction right now, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monogram-Model-Kit-F-16XL-Fighter-5206-1-72-Complete-Unbuilt-Sealed-/151833993994?hash=item235a02e30a
I paid 35£ for the first and 30 for the second, including shipping... ;)

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

JasonW

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 02, 2015, 01:37:31 PM

I have the Monogram F-16XL, but do not have or recognize the other manufacturer of the F-16XL in 1/72. What manufacturer is that?

I don't have the Revell Germany YF-23 either but believe it to be the same mold as the Italeri kit which I do have.

- George Burns

DogfighterZen

Quote from: JasonW on October 02, 2015, 07:50:26 PM
I have the Monogram F-16XL, but do not have or recognize the other manufacturer of the F-16XL in 1/72. What manufacturer is that?
I don't have the Revell Germany YF-23 either but believe it to be the same mold as the Italeri kit which I do have.

Those are the LoneStar resin parts conversion sets, to be used with Hasegawa kits. I have both variants, single and twin seat, but i had to sell my soul to the devil to get those... :wacko:
The YF-23s were also found and bought after a very extensive search... Yep, the Tamiya, Testors and Revell kits are the Italeri molds, but the Dragon kit is another mold, recessed panel lines, no weapons bay... you probably know this, right?  ;)

:cheers:

Dizzyfugu

So this is where all the 1:72 F-16XL's went...!  ;D

Rolead

Would not be surprised if Revell dusted off the moulds

NARSES2

I built the Monogram F-16XL ages ago. Typical Monogram in that is was an enjoyable build. Used to love their kits as a teenager
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.