"Holy Grail" model kits

Started by seadude, August 20, 2015, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 25, 2015, 06:12:55 AM
The Big Book says Hobby Spot U made three resin kits between 1989 to 1993. The Vought XF5F-1 and the Bell X-1 being reissued by Hasegawa in injection.  The third kit was a Nakajima J8N1 Kikka

(EDIT)  Lee is right, it's a Japanese outfit

The Hobby-Spot-U Bell X-1 is boxed by Tamiya, not Hasegawa.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 25, 2015, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 25, 2015, 06:12:55 AM
The Big Book says Hobby Spot U made three resin kits between 1989 to 1993. The Vought XF5F-1 and the Bell X-1 being reissued by Hasegawa in injection.  The third kit was a Nakajima J8N1 Kikka

(EDIT)  Lee is right, it's a Japanese outfit

The Hobby-Spot-U Bell X-1 is boxed by Tamiya, not Hasegawa.

Hmm! have to look at that again Jon, even got one in the stash -- complete with clear plastic fuselage --- I think that's another error in the Big Book to report --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 25, 2015, 12:48:50 PM
Not quite a kit as such, but the 1/72 AeroClub resin/vacform/white metal Shackleton MR2 & AEW is a rare find.
Could be just lucky to find two for under £50 within 7 days of each other.

I have one of those and it's a really nice job, just what you'd expect from Aeroclub of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Sorry for gravedigging, but this topic seemed like the perfect place to post the following. ;)

Would the following kit be considered a "holy grail" model? When I went to a model contest today, this kit was sitting on a table for the raffle. I did not win it, but a friend of mine did. I asked him if I could have it and he said "Sure".
I have never heard of or seen this kit before. It's kit # 5906 which is a 1986 re-box of the same kit that came out in 1985, only with different box art from what I have read. The box is a little beat up, but not too bad. Both parts bags are completely sealed. Not sure if the main Space Shuttle fuselage piece was supposed to be bagged or not. There are metal parts included such as nuts, bolts, and springs. Decals however are not so good and may not be able to be used.
Depending on what parts are in the bags and from initial observations of the box art, I am giving consideration to kitbashing parts from this kit onto my 1/48 scale Space 1999 Eagle Transporter sometime in the future.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

The Chaos

Hi Gread Kit and never seen bevor.
I like It.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on October 29, 2016, 07:14:58 PM

Would the following kit be considered a "holy grail" model? When I went to a model contest today, this kit was sitting on a table for the raffle. I did not win it, but a friend of mine did. I asked him if I could have it and he said "Sure".

The 'Holy Grailness' or otherwise is surely in the eye of the observer, the seeker or the buyer?  ;D

One seeker's 'Holy Grail' is another's junk sometimes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

My definition of a "Holy Grail" kit is one that a person has desired to purchase for a significant amount of time but which they have been unableto acquire due to rarity/cost/never-been-produced, etc.

So, unless you have wanted to have that kit for at least a year or two, I wouldn't be classifying it as a Grail kit.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Well, it's a kit that I have never wanted before. How can I have never wanted it if I have never even heard of it or seen it before? I never knew such a kit existed. IMO, I find it rather unique.....and weird......for a sci-fi subject, and that's why it appealed to me. ;) As soon as I saw it on the raffle table, I knew I had to have it. And like I said before, I think some of the parts from the kit might be kitbashed with my 1/48 Space 1999 Eagle Transporter.  :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on October 30, 2016, 09:56:33 AM

As soon as I saw it on the raffle table, I knew I had to have it.

There you are then, that makes it your 'Holy Grail' kit right away.  ;D

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Go large or go home, I say...... 1/72 B-15
                                                   1/72 B-32
                                                    1/72 C-5 Galaxy

Let's just say a large chunk of the Anigrand stuff.  ;) 
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 30, 2016, 11:22:47 AM
Go large or go home, I say......
                                                   1/72 B-32
                                                    1/72 C-5 Galaxy

(1/72 B-32)          Got one
(1/72 C-5 Galaxy) Got two
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

:o  Username checks out!!   ;D ;D

Awesome stuff.   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 30, 2016, 09:32:04 AM
My definition of a "Holy Grail" kit is one that a person has desired to purchase for a significant amount of time but which they have been unableto acquire due to rarity/cost/never-been-produced, etc.
Going strictly by this definition, my past Grails include only:
- Monogram's 1/72 F-19 Stealth Fighter, specifically one that does not glow in the dark, the glowed-maybe-in-the-80s version would have been actually easier to find! Not to mention that the 1/48 version seemed to be ubiquitous. Found one finally on oldmodelkits website...
- Two Bobs Sandbox Alleycats decal sheet for a pair of F-14B's in temporary wargames camo in 1/72 & 1/48 (not to be used with above). Finally found one on evilbay and won it at a ludicrous prize.

Both took several years to find and especially in the case of latter, were probably more trouble than they're worth.

Maybe I'll have to think of a new Grail now...

NARSES2

Quote from: Snowtrooper on October 30, 2016, 04:55:17 PM

Both took several years to find and especially in the case of latter, were probably more trouble than they're worth.

So sad when that happens. You want something so much, and it doesn't need to be hobby related, then when you finally get it, it's a disappointment  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Despite my personal definition of "Grail Kit", I don't actually have that many.

1/48 Buccaneer (which I have)
1/35 CH-53D (which I never expect to see in styrene)

1/35 - Any "Czech" armour, especially those based on the LT vz. 35 (Pz.Kpfw. 35(t)) & the LT vz. 38 (Pz.Kpfw. 38(t)) (which I am s-l-o-w-l-y gathering)
1/35 - The Czech LT vz. 34 (if anyone ever makes one), and the "paper Panzer" which continued into the post-war period & was to be the T-50/51 (until the Soviets forced them to make Soviet tanks) (again, if anyone ever makes one)

Everything preferrably in styrene but I might try my hand at resin, if they're good quality & not mortgage-the-house-&-sell-the-kids-for-scientific-experiments expensive.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est