Modern Emergency Fighter

Started by hogge, August 22, 2015, 02:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogge

Hi.
I'm currently working on a piece of fiction. It takes place in a very near future when Europe first is on the verge of a third world war and then is dragged into the war.

Like in World War 2, Sweden has great difficulty importing planes, components and raw materials. With war rapidly approaching, Sweden realises that production of more Gripen fighters will be difficult, thus an emergency fighter programme is started. Said plane is just like the Swedish J22 and the Brittish Mosquito fighter made using as few strategic materials as possible and by an unqualified work force.

My question is: what would this emergency fighter be like?
In all likelyhood, it wouldn't be a fighter at all, but a strike plane with the ability to destroy enemy helicopters.
Would it be a brand new construction? Or based on something older, like the SK60, Lansen or even Tunnan? Would it use piston engines (perhaps manufactured by Koenigsegg), Turbojets (either a pirate copy of a foreign design or just straight up the one Volvo developed, but wasn't used for the Gripen E/F) or perhaps an easy to make and reliable radial engine?

deathjester

I would say it would probably be a simplified version of the Draken - it fits the bill perfectly!

perttime

With the materials and work force constraints, it would have to be something very simple. Not a fighter, then. Perhaps a turboprop powered aircraft for CAS and FAC? That could work against helicopters too, with some light missiles.

hogge

Quote from: deathjester on August 22, 2015, 03:46:58 AM
I would say it would probably be a simplified version of the Draken - it fits the bill perfectly!
But didn't that have a very large and expensive engine?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: hogge on August 22, 2015, 08:09:22 AM
Quote from: deathjester on August 22, 2015, 03:46:58 AM
But didn't that have a very large and expensive engine?

The Draken used a Volvo built version of the Rolls Royce Avon. I'm not sure that it was expensive but it certainly wasn't all that large. The Lansen used the same engine BTW.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Thanks Kit - my point is, the Draken uses no composites, or very exotic materials or technologies in its manufacture, it is a proven design, capable of fighting against modern adversaries, and a decently equipped engineering firm could expect to turn out at least the airframes, so the manufacturing could be parcelled out amongst smaller firms, like we did with Spitfire production...

Captain Canada

The 105. Lots of options, radar, AEW pods and ECM, bomber, missiles, observation..... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

Piston engines would be easier to manufacture in large numbers than turbines. Have the Scania truck engine plant tool up for a V12 petrol engine based on the 16-litre Scania V8 diesel engine block. A 24-litre V12 turbo engine capable of 2500 shp should be within the realm of possibilities.

hogge

Quote from: Hobbes on August 22, 2015, 10:58:35 AM
Piston engines would be easier to manufacture in large numbers than turbines. Have the Scania truck engine plant tool up for a V12 petrol engine based on the 16-litre Scania V8 diesel engine block. A 24-litre V12 turbo engine capable of 2500 shp should be within the realm of possibilities.
But wouldn't a truck engine be incredibly heavy? I imagine that a Koenigsegg engine would have a better power to weight ratio. Although I'm not sure if Koenigsegg have the ability to make enough engines, considering they make just over one car a month.

Hobbes

Yes, a truck engine would be heavy. I'm not suggesting to use the truck engines unchanged, but e.g. when you use the same dimensions for bore and stroke you can use lots of machinery from the truck factory. Start with lighter castings in aluminium for the engine block and you'd have something serviceable with a limited amount of development.

Koenigsegg used to buy basic engines from the US and add their own engine management. For the CCX, a bespoke engine block is cast in the UK.

kerick

How about something using a common airliner engine? Tons of parts available from different suppliers and possibly even whole engines. Would the JT8D be a candidate? A version was manufactured by Volvo.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

hogge

This thread seems to be going somewhere :)

So we have a few suggestions:

Modern Draken
While I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Draken, I wonder how well it would do in the attack role. It has a really high stall speed, so I don't think many pilots would dare use it at treetop level. Making a fighter out of it would on the other hand require some quite advanced electronics.

Use of civilian engines
Interresting idea. What is the most common jet engine used in civilian airlines today? What would such a plane look like?

Use of piston engines
Strangely, it seems Koenigsegg import their engines. Could the engine efficiently be adapted for the thinner air at aircraft altitudes? And up the power? Could a Swedish engine manufacturer take over production? Or could a truck engine be lightened and miniaturised enough to fit in a plane? What would such a plane look like?

And a general question is: what kinds of components could be manufactured within the country? Could for example Sony Mobile manufacture a radar? Can let's say a video game developer repurpose civilian computers (perhaps mobile phones even?) and make them work as weapons control systems? Can a fireworks factory manufacture flares and flare dispensers?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on August 22, 2015, 12:45:27 PM
How about something using a common airliner engine? Tons of parts available from different suppliers and possibly even whole engines. Would the JT8D be a candidate? A version was manufactured by Volvo.

The JT8 was used in the Viggen - with an afterburner added, but it was basically the airliner engine.

IMHO, if heli hunting is one of the missions, the aircraft needs agility and also the ability to fly slowly. Als as aan addition to the Gripen which could focus on aerial combat/interception.
I guess that you'd end up with something between a Pucara and a Su-25. Personally, I'd go with turboprops. Maybe use components from the Saab 340 airliner (since they exist) and add them to a narrow, dedicated fuselage?

kerick

For turbo props I suggest the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 series. Wide range of power options and used all over the place.

For the JT8 engine I believe its out of production but thousands of them were made and used all over the world.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Hobbes

Quote from: hogge on August 22, 2015, 02:05:16 PM
Use of piston engines
Strangely, it seems Koenigsegg import their engines. Could the engine efficiently be adapted for the thinner air at aircraft altitudes? And up the power? Could a Swedish engine manufacturer take over production? Or could a truck engine be lightened and miniaturised enough to fit in a plane? What would such a plane look like?

The Koenigsegg engines are 4.7 litre supercharged units that already crank out 200 bhp/litre. This works in a supercar because you'll never run it at those power levels for more than a few seconds. In a military aircraft, you'll be at high power settings most of the time, and engine life will be short.

And a general question is: what kinds of components could be manufactured within the country? Could for example Sony Mobile manufacture a radar? Can let's say a video game developer repurpose civilian computers (perhaps mobile phones even?) and make them work as weapons control systems? Can a fireworks factory manufacture flares and flare dispensers?

Sweden already has a company that produces military electronics: Ericsson. Getting other electronics manufacturers up to speed is mostly a matter of knowledge transfer and shouldn't be too difficult.