NOT From the book Nimrod's Genesis by Chris Gibbson

Started by McColm, August 26, 2015, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

In this book there are loads of Whiffs waiting to be built.
Not too sure if this should be a group build candidate, what caught my attention was the Avro Shackleton/ Super Shackleton page 88-90 and the Maritime Heavies page 90-93.
Having recently bought an Airfix 1/72 04002 Fairey Rotodyne the idea is to use the engines on the Revell/Frog 04101 Avro Shackleton MR.3.
Avro did make studies into re-engine the MR3 with the Napier Eland turboprop either four engines or two Griffons on the inner and two Nomads on the outer. The Griffons shutting down for extended range on patrols.
My twist on this is to stick with the flat nose and radome from the Lockheed Neptune. Leftover parts from the Lockheed S-3A/B such as the sonobuoy launer and Harpoon anti-submarine missiles could be fitted. The extendable MAD boom and inflight refueling probe also added. The vertical tail from the Airfix Bristol Superfreigter might fit as a prototype of the MR4 or just a prototype 'Mule'.

Captain Canada

Sounds interesting ! I'll have to check into a few of those.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

The Avro Type 716 & 719 on pages 91-94 are both doable.
By using the engines from the Heller/Airfix Lockheed Constellation the Type 716 could be built with a donor Avro Shackleton Mk2/3. The eight-wheel bogie undercarriage might be a challenge, just have to see if the Vulcan gear will fit.. A single vertical tail fin from the Airfix B-29 or the Academy C-97 might also fit.

McColm

The Shorts PD.2 reminds me of a four engined RR Griffons on a Catalina flying boat. The outer two engines would have housed the landing gear on the Shackleton, but would make ideal weapons bays for torpedoes or iron bombs.
Picture on page 51.

McColm

On page 194 are three Orion variants;
Orion 2000, Lockheed P-7 (the Air Staff preference) and the Marshall Valkyrie. None of these prospered but the Valkyrie could be a possible Whiff as I have a built 1/72 P-3C 'spare & repair' in my stash.
It needs the landing gear sorted out, new or replacement propellers- could use the ones off the C-130J as well as the inflight refueling probe., ESM pods on the wing tips. Just need to fill in the sonobuoy  launch tubes and add the MAD boom. FLIR and Sea Eagles-off the Sea Harrier FA/2 Airfix kit. The dark sea grey and medium sea grey are a great combo.

loupgarou

You're driving me crazy with all these teasers  :banghead:
I had to go and order the book. I hope it arrives soon.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Captain Canada

Quote from: loupgarou on October 24, 2015, 05:40:39 AM
You're driving me crazy with all these teasers  :banghead:
I had to go and order the book. I hope it arrives soon.

At least you'll see pictures in the book  :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Been toying with the idea of putting the Airfix Vulcan wings, engines, tail and rear radome on to the Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod MR.1/MR.2.
I think this has been in most Whiffers thoughts ever since pictures of the MR.3 were seen in Chris Gibson book Nimrod's Genesis page 114, front cover and a line drawing on page 123.
I've got two wrecks in 1/72 scale in the stash and in theory this seems to work. The undercarriage will have to be found but I've seen a couple of white metal and resin wheel after market kits.

McColm

Put some pics up on my FaceBook page of the build so far .
The shortened Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod has had it's wings remove, vertical tail and part of the rear fuselage.
A modified vertical tail from the wreck of the Vulcan model and shortened tail cone glued on. The lower engine bays and Vulcan lower wings super glued to the Nimrod fuselage.
The shortened Nimrod fuselage looks nearer to the picture on the front cover of the book.
Need to find some fine mesh to cover the air intake in the new vertical tail.
Will raid the spares bin for two new gold fish bowl windows. Other parts from the Nimrod kit will be added.
Freightdogs Vulcan engines is a possibility.

McColm

In Chris Gibson's book there is a drawing of a twin engined Argosy with two weapons bays running parallel with each other.
The was an Air Staff requirement for a short to medium maritime patrol aircraft which became the OR323.
Although Armstrong Whitworth had drawn up the AW66 and AW65 twin Rolls Royce Dart engines. Not too sure if they were built with the civilian and military in mind.
This gave me an idea two use one of the 1/72 kits now available in AirWays vacform,  Magna resin or the new Mach2 kit.
There are possible engine changes from Darts to say Tynes or Elands.
Not to mention possible Whiffs apart from the maritime theme.