Inspirations Thread

Started by rickshaw, August 30, 2015, 12:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well the RAF did end up with one ex Dutch Fokker T-VIII which was I think was used for ASR.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

I need to stop looking here and then at the West Coast Hobbys site as there are too many ideas and choices  :thumbsup:

It was a shame that the official BoB Hornet went u/s, but listening to Churchill's speech and references to the few and watching the RCAF sure brought goosebumps and welled up eyes for this proud and patriotic guy.....glad it was raining and I was wearing sunglasses  :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on September 03, 2015, 03:48:01 AM
However, what if the RAF used seaplanes to rescue downed pilots instead of launches?

They used both.  Remember, they operated Shagbats, Sunderlands, Catalinas, as well as a few other odd boats and even a He115 on clandestine runs to Norway and back.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on September 03, 2015, 07:06:48 AM
However, what if the RAF used seaplanes to rescue downed pilots instead of launches?

They used both.  Remember, they operated Shagbats, Sunderlands, Catalinas, as well as a few other odd boats and even a He115 on clandestine runs to Norway and back.

So a Do.24 would fit right in then, plus with US engines, it might be supportable for quite a while.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

perttime

Why didn't French pilots escape to UK in their Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 fighters, instead of destroying them to prevent them from falling into enemy hands?

M.S.406 was no match for the Bf 109E, but could have done well against bombers, especially with the 20 mm gun.

Weaver

Quote from: perttime on September 03, 2015, 08:34:14 AM
Why didn't French pilots escape to UK in their Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 fighters, instead of destroying them to prevent them from falling into enemy hands?

M.S.406 was no match for the Bf 109E, but could have done well against bombers, especially with the 20 mm gun.

Orders I'd guess. Remember, there was still a functioning, unoccupied French state to answer to at the point of surrender. Many people don't appreciate what a complex choice French soldiers had to make at that point.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

What if?
Which colours would they have used, if they'd managed to form a unit north of the Channel?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on September 03, 2015, 08:46:52 AM
What if?
Which colours would they have used, if they'd managed to form a unit north of the Channel?

No reason why they couldn't have carried on as before, but based in UK.

But I suspect the RAF High Command might have worried about 'blue on blue' events and suggested that RAF standard  fighter camo might have been a better idea. Now that scheme with French roundels and fin markings would look REALLY good.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

I was thinking along the same lines. It would be interesting to see variations in RAF rescue launches, in 1/72 there are a few possible small boats, PT etc that could be modified.
Also, as Rickshaw wrote, more seaplane types could be used,  a few french, belgian, dutch aircraft managed to escape to UK, any sort of strange and wondrous french seaplane could be used for ASR or second line duties .
Maybe I could even recycle my uncompleted swamp skimmer from the other GB. ;D  Call it a channel-skimmer.  :rolleyes: ;D I know I cannot do it, it's a joke!
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Rick Lowe

Arc-en-Ciel on floats!!

:blink: :blink:

Come on, someone had to think of it... ;D

Cheers

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 03, 2015, 09:50:19 PM
Arc-en-Ciel on floats!!

:blink: :blink:

Come on, someone had to think of it... ;D

Cheers

And why not? Sounds like a great idea.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2015, 06:01:21 AM
Odd there were no Dutch pilots.  :unsure:

That puzzled me too.
From wikipedia:
QuoteSome aircrews escaped to England and on 1 June 1940, 320 Squadron and 321 Squadron were established there under RAF operational command. Due to a shortage of personnel, 321 Squadron was absorbed by 320 Sqn in January 1941. Although their personnel were predominantly from the Navy Air Service, Army Aviation aircrew also served with 320 Sqn until the end of the war.

So perhaps the distinction is they weren't part of the RAF but continued to operate as the Royal Netherlands Airforce to some extent?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on September 04, 2015, 02:01:01 AM
So perhaps the distinction is they weren't part of the RAF but continued to operate as the Royal Netherlands Airforce to some extent?

Ah yes, good point, an the RNLAF still use the same squadron numbers to this day IIRC.

I have some good friends in the Virtual RNLAF, I'll ask them if they know how that worked.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..