metal thimble as paint mixing receptacle

Started by Allan, August 30, 2015, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

some people choose to mix paint with thinner in a receptacle separate from the airbrush---why not use a metal thimble...it can be easily cleaned out with a wet tissue after use
Allan

kerick

Save those little plastic cups that come with certain medicine bottles. If you use acrylics its easy to wash out or toss if they get too messed up.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Problem with a thimble is keeping it upright when you put it down, large lump of Plasticine or similar should solve that.

Quote from: kerick on August 31, 2015, 12:19:45 AM
Save those little plastic cups that come with certain medicine bottles. If you use acrylics its easy to wash out or toss if they get too messed up.

Yup that's what I do. Also jar lids as pallets.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I bought a load of cheap paint mixing & storage containers from the local art shop.  They're OK for acrylics but cellulose thinners dissolves them and the lids then don't come off.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Allan

give the pesky little thimble one or two sharpish bashes with a hammer to flatten out the bottom?

PR19_Kit

I always saved the tops from cans of shaving foam on the basis that I was sure they'd be handy for something. Then I tried to use one for mixing paint and it worked a treat. Or it did until the next morning....

THEN I found out that they all have a tiny hole drilled in the top for some obscure reason and that the one I'd used for mixing was surrounded by a large pool of very much set paint and was rigidly welded to the model bench!  :banghead: :banghead:

Now I use them for storing small parts instead..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

They have that tiny hole to prevent the build of gas pressure when carried in an unpressurised aircraft hold.  I knew a young digger who decided to be smart one army exercise and ignore the rule on no pressurised cans onboard a RAAF aircraft and when he got off, all his gear was covered in shaving foam.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

The thimble is a good idea as is the plastic medicine cup. If you've got young children and cold CDN winters you accrue lots of them !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

The thimble works great. Been using one for years. I mixed up a wad of two part epoxy putty, put it on a flat base and shaped it around a wet thimble. Then removed the thimble and let the epoxy cure. Now I have a non-tip base for it. Also, with a metal thimble, you can always throw it in a jar of lacquer thinner and soak off any dried on crud.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

The Rat

Small amounts can be mixed in a beer bottle cap. Not that I have a lot of those... :rolleyes:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

CANSO

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 31, 2015, 03:27:54 AM
I always saved the tops from cans of shaving foam....THEN I found out that they all have a tiny hole drilled in the top....
I'm always using these:

They are small, never spill and don't turn upside down, because are shallow. E-e-e-h, sometimes they do. :wacko:
But they for sure have no tiny holes ;D.
Cost: $0.00 (preferably from used water bottles, lemonade etc.).

PR19_Kit

I'm getting round the 'tiny hole' issue by filling them up with small amounts of any surplus epoxy that I use. I have to remember to sit them on some polythene sheet while it sets or they get welded to the model bench again!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

I got a plank of 22 mm MDF and drilled some holes of various sizes in it: two for Humbrol paint jars, larger ones for thinner etc. 

Bungle

I got a 100 50ml plastic shot glasses off of evilbay a few years ago - £5.00 including postage. Use, abuse and throw away. Still got about 50 of them unused.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

zenrat

Friend of mine's wife works at Sovereign Hill (historic gold mining recreation thingo) and they sell small bottles of gold dust which come packed sitting in a plastic tray - 24 to a tray  She brings the trays home and once a year I get a pile of them which I use as palates.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..