TSR......, Two

Started by tc2324, September 01, 2015, 02:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

I recently built the 1/72 version and it was not that enjoyable by any means. Some mistakes by my own hand...? Sure, I`m man enough to admit it. But the smaller kit is known to be troublesome so I`m putting down as a 50/50.

However I have come away from that build with a bucket load of experience and knowledge which I can use to my advantage hopefully with this huge 1/48 kit.

No kit bashing involved with this one, just a straight forward build in a What If scheme. Well...., that not quite true. I`m looking to pose the aircraft on this rather spiffing `blurred motion` dio base I aquired from Coastal Kits.

Now the way I see it, I`m either going to have it flying low down the runway like so......,

..... or I`m going to go for a V1 type pose like this.......,

Opinions and choices on a post card to....

tc
nuttersville
UK
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Awesome dio base. I like the first option....looks right to me !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 01, 2015, 02:20:40 PM
Awesome dio base. I like the first option....looks right to me !

I`m thinking more towards option two if I`m honest. The logistics are easier.

With option one I`ll have to cut a hole in the base which I`m not happy with.

With option two I can stick a load of ballast in the rear so it points skywards and rest the back end on a clear bit of sprue to keep the tail off the ground.

No cutting the base either.

Tiger, Tiger!

Gondor

Option two is what I plan to do when I get around to building the second prototype although I have a plan to use acrylic rod and sheet.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Lovely base! :wub: :wub: :wub:  Whichever option you go for it'll look great. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

You've probably got there ahead of me, option 2 will need the intake doors opening up.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

eatthis

Quote from: Mossie on September 01, 2015, 03:10:59 PM
Lovely base! :wub: :wub: :wub:  Whichever option you go for it'll look great. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

You've probably got there ahead of me, option 2 will need the intake doors opening up.

correct and also iirc the flaps wont clear the fuse without some alteration.
iv built a few of these now and i think its very front heavy and would need alot of ballest to make it tail sit
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Old Wombat

Quote from: tc2324 on September 01, 2015, 02:17:21 PM

Another way to do this is to put the base on a thicker base with a pair of acrylic rods bent into "U"'s coming out of the thicker base & into the rear of the engines. :thumbsup:

May even be able to run some thin wires along the rod into the rear of the plane to LED-light the engines for that afterburning look. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tc2324

Cheers for the tips and observations chaps.  :thumbsup:

Work started on the TSR tonight and the following picture should be a good indication of the pose I`ve opted for.....,  :thumbsup:

In the hour I spent working on a few bits and bobs, this intake took up a lot of the time. The plastic is quite think and it would seem my scalpel is a bit blunt.  :banghead: I`ll do the other intake tomorrow night.

Also started to put the cockpit together and is it me or are the aircrew supplied far too small for the scale? Those ejection seat look rather like ejection armchairs.....!  ;D

Might source some other aircrew from the spares box.

Tiger, Tiger!

DogfighterZen

When i first looked at it, seemed the cockpit was just a roomy one but the pilots really are under-scale. The seat and tub look right but the pilots don't. Probably better to look for another crew... But this model and base will surely look good, i love that idea.  :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

flappydaffy

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 02, 2015, 05:10:43 PM
When i first looked at it, seemed the cockpit was just a roomy one but the pilots really are under-scale. The seat and tub look right but the pilots don't. Probably better to look for another crew... But this model and base will surely look good, i love that idea.  :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be too quick at condemning those poor airmen, I hade the exact same joke with the Airfix Valiant cockpit. I was able to seat an ejection seat in the Airfix rendering. FYI those resin fitted perfectly in the Seahawk from Trumpeter at the same scale.

Solved the problem by rebuilding the floor of the cockpit.

TsrJoe

Monogram/Revell SR.71 crew figures fit the cockpit nicely  :thumbsup:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Captain Canada

That's incredible fitting a seat on a seat...at the same scale ! The pilot figures do look small, that's for sure. But I guess it's hard to tell which is incorrect. I'd just fit the bigger guys ( but is Joe talking 48th scale ? ) if they fir and you can close it up, not like you'd see a lot in there in flying guise.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TsrJoe

oops my apologies, id only just realised its the 48 example your working on, hmm, if you have any Monogram 1/48 fast jet pilots they would work as well :) love the base board btw. looking forward to seeing how this turns out
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

tc2324

So I sorted out a couple of pilots that were a bit taller and looked like they had eaten a proper meal.

The issue I now have is that they are actually a bit too big and a bit of amputation may be needed to get the instrument panels in ........!  :rolleyes:

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

I know why they've put on wait, their both permanently holding a can of lager.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?