Shorts Suez

Started by tigercat, September 06, 2015, 02:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 11, 2015, 01:06:14 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 07, 2015, 03:46:59 AM
IIRC our own kitbasher already did that, based on a Wellington.

Yup he has and he had an interesting conversation with a thoroughly bemused guy at Hendon - naughty man  :rolleyes:

OK, thanks, i'll have a look for that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tc2324

Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2015, 02:51:21 AM
Would an AEW aircraft have been feasible in 1940 or was the radar equipment and associated generators etc too bulky & heavy?
Or would the issue have been reliable communications back to the control room?

A true AEW aircraft in 1940 would not of existed in 1940 due to the bulk and weight, but hey, this is whif world so feel free to alter the time line a bit.

I think you will find the first true AEW aircraft was the PB-1W used by the US Navy from late 1946.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

tigercat

The plan is to make a Shorts Sunderland into a Shorter Sunderland.

Who likes short shorts :)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on September 10, 2015, 05:11:51 PM
Scalemates has four entries for the Harrow, all 1:72: https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=Kits&q=Handley+Page+Harrow

Has the Valom Harrow actually been released yet? IIRC it was planned to come out after the Bombay. The vacform I mentioned was the Sutcliffe one on your list, and the more current Sanger model may be from the same master. That's happened before with Sanger kits.

Quote from: tigercat on September 11, 2015, 05:28:56 AM
The plan is to make a Shorts Sunderland into a Shorter Sunderland.

That'd be from the same manufacturer as Mike McEvoy's Shorter Stirling then?  ;D

It's just under half way down on this page, the 21st pic in JayBee's posting.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35985.105.html
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2015, 02:51:21 AM
Would an AEW aircraft have been feasible in 1940 or was the radar equipment and associated generators etc too bulky & heavy?
Or would the issue have been reliable communications back to the control room?

In April 1940, the RAF looked into installing a surface radar (ASV mk II) on a B-24, but at the time the equipment was too heavy for this to be an effective solution. In October 1941, trials started with an air search radar (modified, much lighter ASV mk II) on a Wellington. It was rudimentary, with no height finding capability and short usable range, but trials showed promise. The project wasn't developed further for various reasons. The RAF might have had operational AEW in 1943 if this development had been seen though.

Captain Canada

Quote from: tigercat on September 11, 2015, 05:28:56 AM

We like short Shorts ! of course. Great idea.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 06, 2015, 05:18:09 PM
Short L.17 Scylla and Syrinx were landplane versions of the Short S.17 Kent flying boat.

Many thanks for this picture.  I have some inspiration thanks to the fin and rudder!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tigercat

So storms appear to be conducive to staying in and modelling

tigercat

tigercat

tigercat

tigercat

A sort of pregnant  Hudson  feel

Captain Canada

Looks like it's gonna start flapping !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat

Wings need straightening a little

Captain Canada

Sorry I should have added to my response and not just given you the 'glass half empty' ! The camo pattern looks great, as do the colours. I also like the new tail arrangement, makes it look pre-war to me !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?