Shorts Suez

Started by tigercat, September 06, 2015, 02:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

I have an idea for a mid 30s aircraft soldiering on into the battle of Britain . It will involve spats  if I can get round the undercarriage issue.

Something akin to the Harrow or Bombay so definitely not frontline but used because it's available.

Captain Canada

I'm thinking somat similar, but nothing that big ! Maybe a biplane if I can get one in time.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Well they would still have been around and indeed Harrows were used as aerial mine layers during the Blitz and one transport evacuated wounded from Arnhem.

Bombay's didn't enter service until November 39, so plenty of scope there
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hman

Not having heard of the Harrow, caused me to look it up...

Anyone for Long Aerial Mines  ;)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_H.P.54_Harrow#Operational_history
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

JasonW

I like the look of the Harrow, but suspect finding a 1/72 kit is likely not an easy task. I'd figure on a vac form kit of it having been done at some point.

Recently got the Bombay from Valom, so maybe there is hope for a Harrow getting produced at some point in the near future.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

PR19_Kit

There was a vacform Harrow around some years ago, maybe Formaplane? It's their sort of aircraft.

It's better looking than a Bombay for sure!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JasonW

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 06, 2015, 04:28:44 PM
There was a vacform Harrow around some years ago, maybe Formaplane? It's their sort of aircraft.

It's better looking than a Bombay for sure!
I think Contrail did one.

I actually like the look of the Bombay. Then again I like the look of the Blackburn Blackburn as well so maybe my personal taste in aircraft is suspect.......
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

jcf

Short L.17 Scylla and Syrinx were landplane versions of the Short S.17 Kent flying boat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Scylla

In the same period Imperial Airways also used the AW Atalanta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_Atalanta

Later handed over to BOAC, and then impressed into service.

PR19_Kit

HP42s were still flying well into WWII, and at least one was camouflaged.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Would an AEW aircraft have been feasible in 1940 or was the radar equipment and associated generators etc too bulky & heavy?
Or would the issue have been reliable communications back to the control room?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

IIRC our own kitbasher already did that, based on a Wellington.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Love the HP42 pic never seen that one before !

Also like the AEW idea I was thinking somat similar but wasn't sure of the timeline.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 07, 2015, 06:44:38 AM
Love the HP42 pic never seen that one before !

Neither have I. HP 42 always looks as though it's just about to snap it's back to me
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 07, 2015, 03:46:59 AM
IIRC our own kitbasher already did that, based on a Wellington.

Yup he has and he had an interesting conversation with a thoroughly bemused guy at Hendon - naughty man  :rolleyes: