Spitfire F.24 * * F I N I S H E D * *

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, September 07, 2015, 12:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAR148

Oh.... What's he going to do to a Spitfire?   :o

Ian the Kiwi Herder

All done today:

No-one will see too much of the 'internals' so I just painted over the green I'd applied many, many years ago in error, waited a couple of hours for it to dry then simply dry-brushed and added a few spots of red here & there. Spitfeur experten will tell you it's horribly incorrect, but let's be honest even with the hood slid right back there's almost nothing to see. The straps are (you guessed it), Eduard.

Bolting it all together didn't give any sort of issues at all. Not a shake'n bake, but very satisfying, easily one of the very best from pre-Hornby Airfix.

...see, told you, almost nothing to see in the 'office', just busy enough.

So real-life permitting, tomorrows tasks will be to rub down the puttied areas, then polish them back, add the rocker covers mask the wheell bays, and then hit it with a base-coat. So thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, more than that thanks for the 'welcome back' messages, great to read them and definitely not taken for granted.

AFN

Ian.
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Quick work ! Looking good Ian. Such a lovely aeroplane the F.24.

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Very nice, Ian! I need to get me one of these to build as Jack Malloch's ex-Rhodesian example.

I've often read that this, the FR.47 and the big EE/BAC Lightnings were the pinnacle of Old Airfix's moulding technology. It's nice to see this coming together.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: KiwiZac on September 09, 2015, 03:31:52 PMI've often read that this, the FR.47 and the big EE/BAC Lightnings were the pinnacle of Old Airfix's moulding technology.

I think you're correct, Zac, I have the F1/F3 Lightning kit and built the F6 when it was new and they were easily as good as contemporary kits from Japan and Europe. You'll see for y'self on Saturday anyways.... If you want to bring more than just the Lanc, that's fine, we've got lots of time.

No modelling today folks - real life and all that. Sorry  :-\

Ian.

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

I bought one of those Lightning's a few years back and was defo impressed with it's quality. One of these days I'll build it, and hopefully do it justice !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

I'm keen to get the F-6, and all I've read is favourable reviews.

Ian - I'll see what I can justify bringing.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Ian the Kiwi Herder

All rubbed-down and then polished back - you can see the sheen on the upper wings. Minimum of masking needed for this one:

Then paint happened  :party:

So, does anybody do JPS decals in 1:48 ??

Ian.

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Ooh, shiney! :wub:  Good to see you back in the whiffing saddle mate. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tc2324

A spit in black does look very cool.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

eatthis

Quote from: tc2324 on September 11, 2015, 12:58:54 AM
A spit in black does look very cool.  :thumbsup:

neqarly every plane looks cool black!
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Captain Canada

I wish I lived down under where paint just happens..... :thumbsup: Looking good Ian ! What a lovely machine the Spit is...and we just know this is going to be good  :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

There's JPS decals around - but what size will fit a Spitfire?
This one gives measurements in cm and inches:

http://www.autosportcollection.net/sr030-118-jps-conversion-decal-for-lotus-97t-98t-f1-minichamps-diecast-model-p-4044.html

PR19_Kit

They're more likely to be available in 1/43 scale, for resin and mixed media model car kits.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

You all realise I'm just messing with you, right ??

Ian.

Confuscious (maybe)