REAL WORLD builds from the last 18 months:

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, September 08, 2015, 02:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

NOT WHAT IF'S, don't say you weren't warned !!

OK, in no particular order -

My first 'Kiwi' build since washing-up here. Tamiya F4U-1A with Eduard pre-painted cockpit set, Ventura decals and Ultracast resin prop & wheels. All the paints are Tamiya acrylics mixed by eye:.

Next another Tamiya 'favourite', the P-51B, again an Eduard pre-painted cockpit set, decals from a Jurassic era Microscale sheet, and a vac-form 'Malcolm' canopy: Paints were enamels this time, mostly Xtracolour.

Yes another Tamiya kit, and yes Eduard etch in the 'pit. Decals are from an old Aeromaster sheet that I bought at my very last Cosford show about a week before we flew out here. Wheels are (I think) True details resin, and paints all Tamiya acrylics.

And just to prove I don't just build Tamiya props, here's an Italeri A-6E in 1:72 - straight from the box except for the 'Walleye' which came from an old Hasegawa weaps set. Decals are from a 'Hi Decal' sheet, paints are all Xtracolour enamels.

Going to stop here for the moment, more soon.

Ian.
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

My dad died many years ago, but he always wanted me to build (him) a British Catalina; I finally got around to it at the end of last year:

Yeah, this came out very nicely, a Hasegawa 1:48 TF-104G, paints are all Xtracolour, decals are by a German 'cottage industry' called HaHen and are superb. Resin seats and again a pre-painted Eduard etch cockpit set:

This was another favourite from last year - started before we left the UK, a Hasegawa Hurri IIc with Ultracast exhausts, Quickboost resin drop tanks & cannon barrels, vac-form canopy (the kit one is in one piece !!   :banghead:), and an Ultracast resin seat sitting in (another) Eduard etch cockpit. Kit decals and paint  by Xtracolour.

So that's all I'm going to post, there are more but I think you've probably had enough from me for now. Please feel free to make any comments, criticism or ask any qustions, and thanks for taking the time to look. Off to the man-cave now see y'all later.

Ian.

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

LOVE the Catalina Ian, really looks the business.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Which kit and scale is it please, and what else did you do it that the manufacturer missed doing?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Alright ! Enough ! I take it all back...you're just making us all look bad now !

:thumbsup:

That is some excellent work Ian. Lovely finish and weathering. I really like the Hurricane, but my favourite is probably the Cat because you built it in memory of your Father. The Starfighter is just gorgeous as well. I know I have to like all thing CDN, but they looked so good in Marinefleiger  colours.

:wub: :cheers: :party: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

FAR148

Real world or not...  :-\ it's good to see your work again!

Welcome back!
Steven L  :thumbsup:

Hotte

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2015, 03:52:06 PM
LOVE the Catalina Ian, really looks the business.  Which kit and scale is it please, and what else did you do it that the manufacturer missed doing? 

The old Academy PBY-5, Mr Spackman and nothing was added except some glue, paint, decals and some lengths of acrylic thread. Just about as 'out-of-the-box' as you can get.

Ian.

Confuscious (maybe)

Glenn Gilbertson

Great looking builds - I also particularly like the Catalina & Starfighter. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

'Out-of-the-box' to you Ian means 'Museum Quality' to most of us.   ;D :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: Ian the Kiwi Herder on September 08, 2015, 03:14:03 PM

So that's all I'm going to post, there are more but I think you've probably had enough from me for now. Please feel free to make any comments, criticism or ask any qustions, and thanks for taking the time to look. Off to the man-cave now see y'all later.

Ian. [/color]

Please, sir, can I have some more?   Exceptional quality material like this needs to be displayed.  Even if it isn't a whiff, it sets a standard to which we can aspire (or envy)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Very good.
I suppose we can forgive them for being RW as they are rather well built.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

All really good, especially the Corsair & the Cat! :thumbsup:

Well? Where are the rest? :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Gorgeous stuff Ian.  :thumbsup:

I was reading something just the other day about staining on Corsairs and that looks spot on.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 09, 2015, 02:00:28 AM
'Out-of-the-box' to you Ian means 'Museum Quality' to most of us.   ;D :thumbsup: :bow:

Ain't that the truth.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 09, 2015, 02:00:28 AM

lol good point Kit. Lovely work Ian.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Lovely builds Ian.

Like others my favourite is the Catalina  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.