Brit Gunbus

Started by tc2324, September 11, 2015, 12:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

Now it has been known over the years that I like a good old fashioned `gunship` what if build. (The RAF AC-130 or US Privateer gunbus a few years back, for those that remember, being a typical examples).

So here`s my next what if Gunship.

Still working on the little back story, but I`m thinking along the lines of the RAF getting a few of these back in the early 70`s due to `troubles` in the SEA sphere of influence. Black undersides, grey/green/brown topside with the red/blue roundels.

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

zenrat

As it's going to be British, and to confuse the JMNs some more, how about doing a RHDrive conversion moving the guns and door to the other side?   :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tc2324

Quote from: zenrat on September 11, 2015, 01:36:46 AM
As it's going to be British, and to confuse the JMNs some more, how about doing a RHDrive conversion moving the guns and door to the other side?   :wacko:

:lol:

Like your thinking and if it were that easy, I`d do it.

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Nice ! I'm looking forward to watching this one. Love the Dak, especially in it's gunship form, and anything British  :wub:

From the box pics looks like the same 3 WWII figures have hung around ( I think I have them from a B-25 kit ) and I'm also looking forward to seeing the guns sprues if you get a chance.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Good project!

I've just been reading about how the Armstrong-Siddeley Mamba turboprop was first tested on a Dak (it was actually the first turbo-prop Dak conversion ever): that'd make a an interesting extra twist wouldn't it?

"Douglas C-47B Mamba Dakota KJ839 A-S Coventry 06.54 edited-2" by RuthAS - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Douglas_C-47B_Mamba_Dakota_KJ839_A-S_Coventry_06.54_edited-2.jpg#/media/File:Douglas_C-47B_Mamba_Dakota_KJ839_A-S_Coventry_06.54_edited-2.jpg
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Hm, I wonder what the tyre life was with the exhausts impinging directly on them like that!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

From the title, I was expecting a Leyland Routemaster with guns sticking out the windows  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on September 11, 2015, 06:53:43 AM
From the title, I was expecting a Leyland Routemaster with guns sticking out the windows  ;D

Easily possible now the Revell kit is available.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Quote from: Weaver on September 11, 2015, 05:51:45 AM
that'd make a an interesting extra twist wouldn't it?

That it surely would mate.  :thumbsup:

Problem is I`m doing a build review for this kit as well, so it`s a strictly OOB build, just finished in a different scheme.

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 11, 2015, 06:47:34 AM
Hm, I wonder what the tyre life was with the exhausts impinging directly on them like that!  :o

Not sure but it would handle well around a twisty perimeter track....or maybe do well at Donington  :thumbsup:

PS-Love the look of that turbo Dak, first time I think I've seen that ! Lovely.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Nice idea! What era? Operation Firedog?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 11, 2015, 06:47:34 AM

Not sure if they are. Look at the other picture of it in flight and you can see what may be the exhaust on top, at the rear of the engine housing. Those pieces in the ground picture may be fairings to actually smooth out the airflow over the protruding wheels.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Ah right, I forgot the Dak's main wheels stick out a fair bit normally, plus as it'd be going a lot faster the least drag the better.

That makes a lot more sense.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

tc2324

The build is coming along nicely with no major problems thus far.

The engines are painted......,

...... and interior completed......

.....  and I even put in the toilet, just in case this build heads that way..!!

But when is all said and done, exactly how much of the insides are you going to see..??

Not much then! 

And just in case you wanted to know how big a 1/48 scale is.......,

That TSR isn`t helping much!

Now because the pilot and co-pilot seats and cockpit are so small and given the fact you will only see their heads if that, I`ve gone and played Doctor again and lobbed off a few limbs.

Next update will be all about the crew.

Tiger, Tiger!